I wouldn't worry.
I just found out I'm GBS positive today...kinda bummed about it. It is pretty common (35% of women....) so I'll be getting IV antibiotics during labor. I'm not too concerned though...since there's a low chance of the baby getting infected if I'm treated. I am just concerned about wiping out all my "good" flora. I've been taking probiotics for many weeks now...guess it didn't help. But I'll continue after the birth to prevent yeast problems. I guess there are worse things that could happen IMO. I'm a pedi nurse and have seen lots of newborns.
Good luck to you. I think as long as you are treated, you should be fine with your original birth plans...
dont change your plans. the give you an iv for 8 hour intervals until you give birth.
dont worry. the only thing ifoung distracting was the plastic bag around my arm to keep it dry.
Now, for my second pg, I asked my midwife, with whom we are planning a homebirth, what we would do if I was positive again. She cannot administer IV antibiotics, but told about a practice they are using in England now involving douching with something in particular every four hours. I read up on it and it sounded good. The chances of passing the infection on to the baby are VERY remote, even with no treatment whatsoever. It is just that is can be very serious if it does happen.
I think your baby will be totally safe with you getting the antibodies at the birthing center - go for it!
Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.
Can anyone give me a good (accurate, not doctor horror) site that explains exactly what is Strep B, how it effects you, the chances of the baby contracting it and what happens if the baby contracts it? Thanks!
Hope all goes well!
We are planning a home waterbirth.
As we get closer to my due date, my midwife wants to try a garlic remedy to see if that helps clear it up. She says it's just about always effective with her GBS+ moms. If that doesn't work, I have the option of getting IV antibiotics at home. Most likely, I may either ask for antibiotics to take in the days/weeks leading up to labor, which I've heard is also effective, or will just decline all together.
If my water breaks early on in labor, I may accept the IV antibiotics or not. My midwife says she's had plenty of GBS+ moms refuse IV antibiotics, even after their water breaks early in labor.
She says they watch the baby a little more closely, but I don't think she's ever had any problems with babies getting it.
Best of luck to you in making your decision.
I tested Group B Strep positive too- but after reviewing the stats and risk factors I felt totally comfortable going ahead with my homebirth- I got a lot of useful info from this website
I did the Hibiclens vaginal wash every 4-5 hours after my water broke and after 20 hours of laboring with ruptured membranes I gave birth to my son- he never had any problems and I felt much better about this method of dealing with Bstrep than having antibiotics- there are risks with having antibiotics too...
The dr.s like to make it sound like your baby will die if they don't give you IV antibiotics but in the vast, vast majority of cases this just isn't the case.
Jen Mama of 2 precious boys (9) (6) and still in with my Matt after 12 years together.
Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor
|54 members and 17,291 guests|
|a-sorta-fairytale , agentofchaos , ambelievable , averysmomma05 , b00angelz , blhmtn , cloa513 , CricketVS , DahliaRW , Deborah , dentalidiaquez , Dude111 , emmy526 , EzEternal , floss&ferd , girlspn , hakunangovi , hillymum , JElaineB , JennThree , katelove , kathymuggle , keepingFAITH , Lemongrass , lilmissgiggles , mailsbox03 , mama24-7 , MamaByGodsGrace , Maria Atherton , MeepyCat , meghanmetz , Michele123 , Moda Ani , moominmamma , NaturallyKait , redsally , RollerCoasterMama , samaxtics , shantimama , Shmootzi , siennaflower , sjbr , Skippy918 , Springshowers , SweetSilver , tifga , transpecos , worthy , Xerxella|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|