What is a Peri Bottle For? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 07-25-2005, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is on my list from the birth center, and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it. Anyone know?
#2 of 28 Old 07-25-2005, 05:25 PM

It's to squirt your underside with when you go to the bathroom after the baby is born. If you tear, your urine stings as it touches the sensitive spots, so you fill the bottle with warm water and squirt it on yourself as you pee. It's also good for cleaning yourself during those early days of lots of lochia.

Ain't motherhood GLAMOROUS!?! :LOL
#3 of 28 Old 07-25-2005, 05:26 PM

It is to rinse of your genitals when you use the potty. You'll probably be sore especially if you tear and wiping doesn't feel very good for awhile.
#4 of 28 Old 07-25-2005, 05:32 PM

I think I may be the only one who loves peri-bottles. I love them for clean up during AF, and other times (like when I am having hemroids). I also keep one filled with water and wipe solution for diaper change time. Lets hear it for the peribottles. :LOL
#5 of 28 Old 07-25-2005, 05:49 PM

As already stated, they are used to spray on yourself when you use the bathroom. They are AWESOME! It made me feel sooooooo much better during the first PP week. I didn't realize it would sting down there when I peed and it really helped soothe that whole area. It also works well to clean out some of that leftover gook.
#6 of 28 Old 07-25-2005, 05:51 PM

You can also prepare a haling herbal solution and then put it in the peri bottle and squirt it on you to help after birth. I found it very helpful.
#7 of 28 Old 07-25-2005, 05:55 PM
QDB

AND...it is a fabulous bath toy - my 26 month ds still plays with an extra one from our homebirth

:LOL
#8 of 28 Old 07-25-2005, 06:27 PM

I ordered a couple extra because they are great for washing baby hair, it works like a mini sprayer.
#9 of 28 Old 07-25-2005, 08:40 PM

I love the peri bottle too! It's so nice during AF. I wish I would have known about them years ago.
#10 of 28 Old 07-25-2005, 10:22 PM

I loved mine as well, though it has mysteriously dissapeared. I tore and I used it for the first couple of months. However it kinda sucked because it was in December/January and it takes our water a long time to heat up. So I got stuck squirting myself with freezing cold water a few times. It's also great for AF and help you feel a bit fresher.
#11 of 28 Old 07-26-2005, 12:39 AM

I love the peri bottle, too! I had stitches that started to itch, and it's wonderful for aiming and giving a hard squirt to soothe that itch! Plus, as a pp said, it's great for getting extra gunk off that just won't drop off on it's own. :LOL
#12 of 28 Old 07-26-2005, 12:43 AM

I couldn't have lived without my peri-bottle for the first week or so! I didn't tear but had 2 tiny skidmarks that burned so bad everytime I had to pee if I didn't use the peri-bottle.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#13 of 28 Old 07-26-2005, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I used my peri bottle to squirt water just before I started to pee - I quickly learned that my skid mark wouldn't burn from my pee if I has the water streaming in that direction just a few seconds before I started to go - it helped immensely!
It was also helpful to clean my backside when, in the early days after delivery, I didn't have the greatest reach around ability to be gentle and my hemorohhoids needed a bit of TLC...
#14 of 28 Old 07-26-2005, 02:35 AM

i had a c-section, and STILL loved my peri bottle...it is great for cleaning up all the lochia and junk down there...and i found i was itchy from wearing pads all the time, and it felt wonderful to squirt a bit of cool water down there.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#15 of 28 Old 07-26-2005, 10:19 AM

I still have mine, 10 months PP. Once I no longer needed it for myself, I started using it to rinse DD's hair in the bath. It gives a light stream that does the job without getting water in her eyes. I also used it once to flush out her eye when I got some carpet fuzz stuck in there. They're really handy!

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#16 of 28 Old 07-26-2005, 03:49 PM

so, henhao, now you know the secret of the peri bottle!! It really is a wonderful thing, both post partum, during af, and as a bath aid for a baby or toddler. I plan to get two for this delivery, since I lost my last one and dd has a thing for bottles that squirt.

anything else on your list make you go 'hummm'?
#17 of 28 Old 07-26-2005, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Where does one get one of these fabulous peri bottles?

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#18 of 28 Old 07-26-2005, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Very embarrassing question to ask after those very informative descriptions of the peri bottle (which I had no idea what it was either!) This is our first baby and I was not entirely aware of all of those things you mentioned...specifically lochia.......what is that? What is the gunk that is supposed to drop off? Sorry about this but it's all new to me and now I'm nervous that I don't know what this stuff is.
#19 of 28 Old 07-26-2005, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielou
Very embarrassing question to ask after those very informative descriptions of the peri bottle (which I had no idea what it was either!) This is our first baby and I was not entirely aware of all of those things you mentioned...specifically lochia.......what is that? What is the gunk that is supposed to drop off? Sorry about this but it's all new to me and now I'm nervous that I don't know what this stuff is.
Lochia is basically your postpartum "period." It will probably be quite heavy at first, and then after that may continue lightly for up to a couple months... Fun, huh?

Mama K: Child of God, wife to S, mama to 3 little beauties and 1 handsome little guy!

#20 of 28 Old 07-26-2005, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielou
and i might add its not very, um, pleasant.
#21 of 28 Old 07-27-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillian
and i might add its not very, um, pleasant.
I might ad that I think it smells funny.... really funny. :
#22 of 28 Old 07-27-2005, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande
Where does one get one of these fabulous peri bottles?
At a medical or midwifery supply store. Here's one that carries them:

In His Hands

If you deliver in the hospital they'll provide one.
#23 of 28 Old 06-24-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielou View Post
Peri bottles are an easy way to keep your nether parts clean, especially if you have stitches or hemmorhoids, which are painfully sensitive to wiping. I love peri washing so much I do it every time I use the toilet now. It makes me feel fresh and clean.
#24 of 28 Old 06-27-2014, 03:58 AM

last time around i used hibiclens in my peri bottle as an antiseptic and since my midwives recommended it i thought it would be semi natural but i just looked it up and thats not the case...so has anyone else used something natural in their peri bottle to help their stitches heal?
#25 of 28 Old 06-27-2014, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Let me make sure I add one of those to my list too!

Me (32) - DH (38) - DS (5)
Expecting #2 in Dec 2014 ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
I blog: allthingsandlife.blogspot.com
#26 of 28 Old 06-27-2014, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
The hospital gives you one Mo!
I just used water.
#27 of 28 Old 06-27-2014, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You can always add some witch hazel to the water in the peri bottle, or any other astringent/toner that will feel soothing and make you fresh. I used witch hazel in mine for the first week or so. That's what is in the tucks pads, if I remember correctly.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#28 of 28 Old 06-28-2014, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I would make sure witch hazel is safe while BF though. It's not safe while pregnant.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page