Itchy tender lumps in breast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-25-2005, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 24 1/2 weeks pregnant, I have had a breast reduction, and I can express colsutrum. I have very lumpy breasts. Near my scar on the underneath of my right breast is a certain lump that is about 3 inches long and runs horizontal (left to right) along the line of my scar. This lump has always bothered me a bit. It gets really tender near my period etc. Well this lump now itches like crazy and is quite tender... but I think massaging it helps relieve the itch and discomfort. There are other spots also - all of them are the lumps near incisions but this one is far worse than the others.

I also get phantom stabbing boobie pains.

Are these infections? Is this early stage engorgement? Is it a plugged milk duct? Is this due to my breasts gearing up for milk production? My breasts are not hot to the touch but they do get warmish at times and sometimes the entire breast swells a bit. When this happens I take a long hot bath and massage them and the swelling goes down. I did research online but nothing fits the description of what I am going through.

Any advice, tips or info as to what this is and what I can do to relieve it? Maybe I should corss post this in breastfeeding... Thanks!
#2 of 3 Old 07-25-2005, 09:54 PM

If this itchiness has recently started, it's probably related to breast changes that occur during pregnancy. Tissues stretch and pull on other tissues, and since you have scar tissue from the surgery, that scar tissue just doesn't have the elasticity to move and stretch like the rest of your breast.

Next time you are in to see your doctor, please ask them about it to be sure.

Is the skin red and inflamed? You said you have colostrum already - do you see any blood in it? Does your breast feel hot to the touch? Are you showing any symptoms of the flu, like fever, body aches, head aches? If you see any of these signs, please call your doctor, they could be indicative of a bigger problem.

However, given the symptoms that you've described, it really sounds like your breasts are trying to grow in preparation for breastfeeding, and it's pulling on some scar tissue.

Good luck!

Shannon R.
http://hometown.aol.com/danshoney/my.../business.html
#3 of 3 Old 07-26-2005, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2WildBoys
If this itchiness has recently started, it's probably related to breast changes that occur during pregnancy. Tissues stretch and pull on other tissues, and since you have scar tissue from the surgery, that scar tissue just doesn't have the elasticity to move and stretch like the rest of your breast.

Next time you are in to see your doctor, please ask them about it to be sure.

Is the skin red and inflamed? You said you have colostrum already - do you see any blood in it? Does your breast feel hot to the touch? Are you showing any symptoms of the flu, like fever, body aches, head aches? If you see any of these signs, please call your doctor, they could be indicative of a bigger problem.

However, given the symptoms that you've described, it really sounds like your breasts are trying to grow in preparation for breastfeeding, and it's pulling on some scar tissue.

Good luck!

Shannon R.
http://hometown.aol.com/danshoney/my.../business.html

Thanks for the reply post... that makes a lot of sense actually. No fever, no skin discoloration, no other symptoms that would wave a red flag... so that sounds like the most reasonable conclusion. Thanks again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page