Calling MDC preggos - post a freezer recipe for those post-partum weeks! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-28-2005, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

Who has a recipe they've frozen before, and it worked well? Post your recipes so we can all make our post-partum freezer stashes!

Mine follows - it's far from gourmet but it is satisifying as a complete protein and freezing doesn't hurt it. I make a huge ginormous pot of it and freeze it in large-ish portion sizes. This'll be more helpful for moms of winter babies.

My recipe is vegetarian, but that doesn't mean the one you share needs to be! Thanks Mamas!

VEGETARIAN PROTEIN AND VEGGIE STEW

*A big ol' bunch of brown rice - however much I have on hand - maybe three or four cups before cooking.

*Dried beans (black, red, whatever) or lentils - again, however much I have on hand. Don't forget to soak overnight unless you're using lentils.

*Combine cooked rice and beans in a large pot, add a little water, then add a generous amount of chopped kale or whatever greens you have on hand. I also like to add potatoes and carrots - you can add those to your beans while they're still cooking. Any vegetables you have in your drawer that might not get used - toss 'em in!

*Season the pot : maybe a couple of vegan bouillon cubes. If you don't have any cubes on hand, or don't feel like using them, I use some red or white pepper, salt, garlic powder, maybe some Mrs. Dash, or whatever spices look good to you.

*Stir and cook over low heat until everything's tender and sort of a stew-like consitency, adding a little water as needed.

Again, not gourmet, but good comfort food and a good way to clean out your vegetable bin and take advantage of dry goods you already have.
#2 of 7 Old 07-28-2005, 11:55 PM

This is a great idea for a post! I'll be watching!

OK, I don't have the recipe yet, but I'm thinking of making some calzones. There is a pizza shop nearby that sells their dough, and it is really yummy. Then, all I have to do is make some good, nutritious filling (spinach and something) and assemble. I'm just wondering if I need to bake them a little before freezing...I think so.

Anyway, this is the one idea I have.
#3 of 7 Old 07-29-2005, 06:06 PM

I'm not a vegetarian, but I have a couple quick things I make ahead of time and put in the freezer.
1- cover chicken breast in a non-stick butter spray and sprinkle with dry ranch mix. wrap in aluminum foil and bake in oven. Then cut red potatoes into fourths and cover with butter spray and ranch mix. wrap in aluminum foil and bake with the chicken. Doesn't take very long and it is a quick clean up.

2-No meat Beef soup- 1 can of peas,1can pinto beans with onions, 1 can light red kidney beans, 1 can green beans, 6 beef or chicken boullion cubes, 1 jar mild salsa. Drain beans, put 3cups of water in large pot, add boullion cubes and cook on med. until dissolved, add everything else and cook on med for 20-30 minutes. You can also add diced potatoes, but should halfway cook them before adding to soup. You can also add wheat pasta, but will need to add more water. You can garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cheese.

Hope this is helpful, Angela
#4 of 7 Old 07-29-2005, 07:11 PM

I'm not a veggie either, but you could easily convert my recipie as it is more of a 'throw whatever into the crock pot' sort of meal.

Beef Stew - 1/2 to 1 lb of beef (chicken, pork, etc) cut into small chunks, 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, 2 cans of broth (beef, chicken, whatever), 1 can corn, 1 can green beans, 1 box of instant scalloped potatoes (We use Betty Crocker) w/ sause packet, 1 beef boulion cube (optional - for extra flavor, we like salty!). Let cook in the crock pot for 12+ hours (I usually will eat it after 8 hours, but I like the meat to fall apart in your mouth, so I let it cook forever).

This is my favorite quick yet hearty meal. It takes all of 10 mintues to open the cans and put the stuff in. The meat can be completely frozen. You can put fresh veggies instead of canned. You can use different veggies, differnt meat, no meat, whatever. And it is reheated and/or frozen (ok frozen then thawed). We are lazy over here so I use mostly canned / frozen stuff to avoid stuff going bad.
#5 of 7 Old 07-30-2005, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recipes! Keep 'em comin', everybody!
#6 of 7 Old 07-30-2005, 03:44 PM

And mine- can be vegetarian, can not- vegan's more challenging.

Brown onions, garlic, mince (veggie or beef, whatever you've got), chopped carrot, celery and leek in a frying pan, add a tin of tomatoes and about 1/4 pint of stock and simmer for a while. Season well- salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce. In a bowl or a food processor, make a batch of cheese scones-
12 oz flour (self-raising- or use plain with baking powder.)
2 oz margarine
6 oz cheese, grated (ideally cheddar, but use what you can get.)
2 eggs
a slug of milk
mustard powder- about half a teaspoon.

Rub the fat into the flour, stir everything else together to make a thick dough, roll out and cut into rounds- should make at least 12, maybe more. Put half the rounds onto a baking tray and tip the mixture from the frying pan into the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Top with the other half the rounds and bake for 20 minutes in a moderate oven, along with the loose scones- they should rise, go crispy and absolutely yummy. (for best results top with a little extra grated cheese.) This then gives you a meal and a snack, both of which can be frozen.
It's around half an hour's work, maybe more- but you can tweak the recipe- for instance, use the scones to top a veggie stew with carrots, swede, turnip and leek in autumn- a spicy goulash for winter or a light courgette and bean and tomato mixture in summer- and being stodgy, very popular in my family. (We eat a LOT of padding meals.)

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#7 of 7 Old 07-30-2005, 04:01 PM

How about fajitas?

Saute shredded chicken or beef (or just veg, of course) and a mixture of sliced onions and sliced bell peppers (red, green, yellow) in the oil of your choice. Add some chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne. Saute until veggies are tender. Let cool slightly. Place a heaping spoonful into a tortilla, top with shredded monterey jack cheese, and fold tortilla in half. Wrap each fajita individually in foil or wax paper, then place in a freezer baggie. These are great 'cause you can take out just one or two at a time, for one person or for a snack.

I also like to make and freeze enchiladas, chicken pot pie, beef stew, any kind of soup, pizza and calzones, macaroni and cheese, tator tot casserole, tuna casserole, chicken and noodles -- lots of things!

Great thread!
~nick

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page