C-section after natural births? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-10-2005, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone here has had one or more totally natural births and then needed a c-section next time. I have often wondered how much influence your state of mind actually has over your experience, ex: going through natural birth and having faith in yourself and your body to do what it needs to do. If you go through a birth this way, what are the chances that you will be able to do it again?
Does anyone understand what I'm getting at? It makes sense in my head but I don't feel like I'm communicating it well.

Suzy

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-10-2005, 11:12 PM

I had 2 natural births (well as natural as a hospital birth at 35 weeks can be- no drugs during delivery, but IV and plenty of nursing problems) with my first 2 and a csection with my 3rd. He was trying to come out forehead first- which we didn't know, but I was there for 24 hrs after my water broke and nothing was happening, then we tried pit, nothing, I was at 8 cm for 6 hrs or something and we decided to c-section. It wasn't until he came out with his forehead all bulging that we knew he was in a bad position. Looking back, were there things I could have done differently?? Maybe, I ask myself that every time I think about it. Was I sure I could do it with no drugs, yep. I fully planned on going in monday am when my water broke, have a baby by monday afternoon and going home on Wed. Instead, he was a csection on tuesday night, I wasn't home until saturday.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#3 of 4 Old 08-10-2005, 11:17 PM

I think I understand what you mean. I don't have that experience though. I was doing a natural childbirth but ds was face first and wouldn't descend, went into distress and ended with c-sec plus a week in NICU. I should stress it wasn't an urgent emergency and ds being in distress was forseen - he kept getting worse throughout the hour after full dialation. Two midwives I talked with had only done 1 face presentation natural (others were transfers) each in over 20 years. I'm pretty sure I'll be successful this time with natural home birth as face pres. isn't likely to occur again.

I do think that it would be less likely for someone to have natural births to have c-sec. just b/c they would also likely to forgo many of the interventions that usually lead to a c-sec. Also my midwife is having me do lots of positioning exercises which I doubt a Dr. would know anything about or take the time to suggest to get baby in good position.
#4 of 4 Old 08-11-2005, 12:32 AM

True- I was shocked and crushed when my quick, normal, natural birth ended up surgical birth. It was MUCH harder to recover from, still feels numb at the incision site, which I'm told is normal.

My doc is a family practice doc who does ob also- I'm told he's as close to a midwife as you can get and still be with a doc. He was great. He tried things I'm sure other docs wouldn't try, 'let' me go longer, and didn't pressure me at all. Didn't even bring it up until the very end. He still remembers my birth and brings it up when I see him (he's my doc and both ds' doc) as one of his toughest births. His csect rate is very low, at least 1/2 the 'average'.

It just sucked. Thankfully, MDC has a csection recovery support tribe that helped work through things.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page