New baby supply list? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-15-2005, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!

I am looking for a good baby supply list. Preferably one that is not commercially generated, rather one that is from experience.

Thanks!
~Stargirl

joy.gifUnitarian Universalist Family:  fairy.gif06 & guitar.gif08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 08-15-2005, 12:02 PM

I don't have a list but something that I LOVED when DS was a newborn and isn't on a lot of lists: baby gowns. They have the opening at the feet. I only had 4 of those and wished I had more. This time I have the 4 from DS and I have bought 4 more. I also plan to buy more once I have the baby and know the sex. I love those things!
#3 of 25 Old 08-15-2005, 12:30 PM

IMO what you have on your list depends upon your preference, the weather and your location where you will be when babe is born, and your laundry situation.

For instance my hubby HATES snaps so onesies are out, but lots and lots of t shirts and pants are in.

I don't have a handy list (although I should make one bc people ask me all the time). Basics you need: something to keep baby warm (blanket, sleepers, whatever), diapers, carseat if you're a family who drives.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#4 of 25 Old 08-15-2005, 12:32 PM

www.childbirth.org, under newborn I think, has a list that is generated depending on when the baby will be born (you pick some stuff & it'll pull up a list for you). It's a pretty good one. you can even choose cloth diapering ; )

aisling
#5 of 25 Old 08-15-2005, 01:15 PM

Aishy - Thanks for the wonderful link! What a great site. I just printed out a personalized autumn - breastfeeding - cloth diapering baby needs list, then had fun with the boy or girl quiz.
#6 of 25 Old 08-15-2005, 03:31 PM

i did the exact same thing 35% boy 65% girl

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#7 of 25 Old 08-15-2005, 09:15 PM

That quiz was hilarious. I have a 47% chance of a boy and a 52% chance of a girl. I already know it's a girl but that was funny. A lot of the questions didn't even apply to me. My feet aren't colder or the same. They're HOT all the time! My pillow is neither north or south - it faces west. Too funny.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#8 of 25 Old 08-16-2005, 02:50 AM

(Hunnybum was right) baby nightgowns are SUPER (easy changing and easy to look at your baby's adorable little legs).

a crochet blanket (for putting over the carseat/carrier when you walk to and from the car---keeps the chill off , but lets some air in)

not to be "commercial" but a "boppy" or "nursing" pillow is NICE....breastfeeding, AND/OR proping baby up into seating position (later like 4 months old)..........and for you the "mom" to sit on while you recover from the birth
#9 of 25 Old 08-16-2005, 07:36 AM

The only things you need for a newborn are diapers and breasts, and mamas who do elimination communication would argue with one of those. Beyond that, everything is subjective. I feel you can never have too many receiving blankets, but I don't dress my babies unless they're leaving the house. (I don't dress myself unless I'm leaving the house!) I loathed the baby gowns, but adore onesies. I'm going to commit heresy when the new one gets here by a) not putting a hat on the baby most of the time (really, in 80+ degree weather you don't need a hat) and b) dressing the child for the actual climate, rather than some imaginary ice age. My only soapbox issue when it comes to baby dressing is how many people bundle their baby up in defiance of any level of sense in regard to the climate. Your baby needs about the same amount of clothing you're wearing, and take a blanket along for airconditioned buildings.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#10 of 25 Old 08-16-2005, 10:58 AM

I'm the same way. It's in the 90's-100's here, and yet I see moms with their babies bundled in all types of blankets. I feel sorry for the poor guys. My mother tells me babies need one extra layer than adults, and really hates it if she sees them without socks on (socks fall off very easily when there's no shoe to hold it on!!). I just feel my baby's back and so on, and if they are feeling too hot, I take off a layer, if they feel cold, I add a layer.
#11 of 25 Old 08-16-2005, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great replies everyone - very helpful!

#12 of 25 Old 08-16-2005, 11:28 AM

oh i used the cheapy washclothes as spit rags. jewely never spit much but just a little, and i kept those in my pocket to pull out and wipe her face. (that way i didn't have to keep a huge something over my shoulder) You can reuse one quite a few times if your kid is a small spitter.

i seocnd the sleep sacks I loved them.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#13 of 25 Old 08-16-2005, 11:45 AM

For clothes I think blankets and diapers! I don't like to dress my babies (or myself) either. I like onsies in hot weather and the gowns in cold weather.

This thread talks about things besides clothes that you need what do I need
#14 of 25 Old 08-16-2005, 11:20 PM

My favorite was the elderly woman who told me that her doctor's advice way back when was to put on as many clothes as she thought her child needed, and then take off a layer.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#15 of 25 Old 08-18-2005, 04:52 PM

I would suggest a boppy pillow, gowns, nursing pads, cloth diapers, cotton blankets, socks, infant tub, and a sling. If you can get a Burt's Bees Baby Bee start set, that would be cool. Love the burt's bees for bath time.

hang.gif  

#16 of 25 Old 08-18-2005, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnybumm
I don't have a list but something that I LOVED when DS was a newborn and isn't on a lot of lists: baby gowns.
OOO, me too! A squeezy sack of baby.
#17 of 25 Old 08-18-2005, 08:15 PM

[QUOTE=be11ydancer]I would suggest a boppy pillow[QUOTE]

I just wanted to point out the threads in activism and breastfeeding discussing Boppy's belief that formula is as good as breastmilk.

If you want to buy a breastfeeding pillow, why not give your money to a company or WAHM who supports breastfeeding?
#18 of 25 Old 08-19-2005, 12:10 AM

I never had a use for a breastfeeding pillow of any sort. But then again, I also have the sort of long 'n' floppies that let me just lay the baby in my lap to nurse. Becoming a mama makes you appreciative of the oddest things...

#19 of 25 Old 08-19-2005, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl
I never had a use for a breastfeeding pillow of any sort. But then again, I also have the sort of long 'n' floppies that let me just lay the baby in my lap to nurse. Becoming a mama makes you appreciative of the oddest things...

Thanks for all of the great suggestions ladies! Keep 'em coming!

~Stargirl

#20 of 25 Old 08-21-2005, 04:46 PM

Get a sling... now. I loved my "Ultimate Baby Wrap" (AKA Moby Wrap), and you can use it for newborns, unlike some other slings. They stay all tucked up in there, snug and happy! But there are LOTS of oppinions. Check out the baby wearing discussions.

What would I have done without my rocking chair? And, yes, I'm a Boppy-lover. Though I would also use a couple of regular pillows sometimes.

And Lansinoh for newly nursing mamas. I was still in the hospital when I sent my dad to find that little squeeze bottle of gold!

And for newborns, you will need a place to change diapers. My mom got me a regular changing table at a yeard sale and got a new cushion for it (they sell standard ones at any baby store). I scoffed, but you know, baby pee and poo go EVERYWHERE (I'm talking shoot into the air, hit the door, 2 feet away!) so you won't want to be changing on any surface that you don't want to wash a million times. And the poo still gets into the cracks. I used that changing table 'till it fell apart.

You'll need alcohol wipes for the bellybutton.

Get a rectal thermometer and vaseline and learn how to use it. Do yourself a favor and get one that takes 10sec. If you think something is wrong with baby, the 1st question dr will ask is "Does he/she have a temperature?".

You can never have too many flannel receiving blankets. They can be burp cloths, clean up messes, thrown down for diaper changes, put on baby for extra warmth... and a million other things.

And a bit personal, but I wasn't adequately prepared... you will essentially bleed like your period for 6 weeks or so, so get some pads of some sort (no tampons allowed).

Get a diaper bag (of course, it doesn't have to be a "diaper bag" but anykind of bag you can pack with baby stuff). Have it ready at the go (I leave mine in the car!). You'll need at least 2 diaper change materials, a change of clothes and a little blanket in there.

If you are going to do birth announcements, do as much as you can NOW. We ordered the kind you print on your own computer and that was less expensive and worked great. Before the baby was born, I addressed and stamped all of them. After he was born, DH wrote them up and printed them and my mom stuffed them and they were out the door. The last thing you will want to do with your precious free/awake moments will be digging up Aunt Ethel's address in Florida...

Cook some dinners and put them in the freezer. In about 2 weeks all the hoopla will die down and you will still need to eat. A few back up dinners can save sanity.

And finally- a digital camera. A big purchase, but if you are having a shower or relatives that ask, tell them to pool together and get one. EVERYONE will want pictures. And you will want to capture every moment of your new baby's life! You can post them on Snapfish or something (it's free and then people can order their own prints). I just ordered prints of all the pictures from DS's first year and I have over 500 :

Good luck!
#21 of 25 Old 08-22-2005, 05:49 AM

I've never had anywhere special to change my babies, always just put them on the floor or on the bed. The only trouble I had was the time in the van (in a parking lot!) when I tried to change Linda on my lap & she had diarrhea.

I will agree with the idea of some sort of baby carrier. Neither daughter liked the sling as a newborn, but they both loved the Infantino soft front carrier. You can use the bucket out of your infant car seat, but it made no sense to me to add an extra 10 - 15 pounds of weight to carry.

I also agree on the blanket thing, though most of our blankets weren't flannel, just cotton recieving blankets from Gerber or Carter's. Both daughters, especially Linda, nursed much better swaddled; in fact with Linda we had to swaddle her before she would nurse for the first couple of months. They slept swaddled too. The Baby Book by William & Martha Sears is pretty much the attachment parenting handbook (I bought it because it was the thickest one in the store. :LOL), & has great sections on swaddling & breastfeeding. The other book I have that I've used for both children is Your Baby's First Year Week-by-Week. Helps alleviate a lot of the "is this normal" questions, but it's not something you *need* by any means.

I never got out birth announcements, because I was never feeling energetic enough to make them after the baby was born, so if you want to do those, the advice to get them as much as posssible done now is excellent.

#22 of 25 Old 08-22-2005, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh, you ladies are great! thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions!

#23 of 25 Old 08-22-2005, 01:25 PM
p.s

Thanks Alexsam, great tips.
#24 of 25 Old 08-22-2005, 01:27 PM

heh, i HATED the baby sacks! k was a kickin' kinda girl and hated having her legs restrained in any way. she hated to be swaddled from the start. we used mainly sleepers with her and i went and bought a bunch more for q because i loved them so much!
other things i loved:
-sling (oh, those things are worth their weight in gold)
-blankets the right size for the carseat (most were just too big and would fall off; i'm making them this time)
-lots and lots of tiny socks (they disapear SO EASILY. get too many. it won't be. )
-every list i've read only says two hats (and this is for winter!)-- i'd get several, as i always lost track of them!
#25 of 25 Old 08-02-2013, 01:14 PM

ive actually checked out a few sites with decent list but i finally went to this place called www.babysupplieslist.net and ive been purchasing there for awhile now. great services. they give you list of things you need for baby showers, names, list of games, list of other sites, but alot of different list with different things you will need.

User Tag List