Packing list for sibling at hospital birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-15-2005, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone had experience with, or good ideas for, what to bring to the hospital for 3.5 yo dd to keep her (and her support folks, DP's dad and stepmom) entertained should the labor be long and boring. Here is what we were thinking:

Toys
Coloring stuff and scissors
DVDs and Player
Disposable camera
Present from babe
Sweater/Jacket
Snacks/Drinks
"I'm a big sister" t-shirt
Sleeping Bag (leave in car just in case)

Other suggestions? Thanks!
#2 of 12 Old 08-16-2005, 01:00 PM

treasure hunt:
make a passport-sized book and a spot for someone to sign each time they visit a location such as - gift shop, cafeteria, welcoming center, etc.

box of bandaids -- my kiddo LOVES to play with bandaids and associates them with the hospital bc that's where Iget my blood drawn for bloodwork (and she did too once).

stickers

$$ for her to buy a special treat at the cafeteria

present for baby and stuff to wrap it -- a plus if she can decorate the bag or whatever while you're there.

lip stuff + lotion --- on my list of stuff for me during labor, but anytime I'm getting some lip stuff my daughter wants some too.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#3 of 12 Old 08-16-2005, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Great ideas! I did buy dd her own "lipstick" (bubblegum flavored chapstick) but everything else is a terrific addition. Thanks.
#4 of 12 Old 08-17-2005, 12:40 AM

I'm just planning on bringing about 3 - 4 wrapped toys to the BC for DS to open and play with. Not to mention that his birth is Dec 04 and this baby is due Dec 12. So he will have a lot of new birthday toys to play with. I really plan to have a whole bin full of toys in addition to the wrapped ones. That way DH can go down to the car and swap toys if DS gets bored. We plan to let him unwrap a new toy every couple hours or so to make them last through the whole labor / pp stay.
#5 of 12 Old 08-17-2005, 11:31 AM

My 20 month dd likes the drawing pads that are like an etch a sketch, you know with the magnetic 'ink' that comes to the surface...with the drawing pad the 'pen' or wand brings it to the surface. She can clean the board by herself and loves it. (Easier than crayons or markers)

I would pack some old toys maybe ones your child has not played with in a while, dd loves it when she comes across an old toy that she has missed. They are easier than new toys cause there is no explaining to do and frustration in learning a new activity, while mom and dad are busy...

Good luck!
JennP
#6 of 12 Old 08-17-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennP
My 20 month dd likes the drawing pads that are like an etch a sketch, you know with the magnetic 'ink' that comes to the surface...with the drawing pad the 'pen' or wand brings it to the surface. She can clean the board by herself and loves it. (Easier than crayons or markers)
Generically called Magnadoodle (sp?), which is the actually brand name, but there are off brands. We got one of these for DS for Christmas or his B-day. It is a magnadoodle / dry eraser board. So you can draw and color on the board. It's pretty cool. DS loves Magnadoodles, so I know he will love this.
#7 of 12 Old 08-17-2005, 06:51 PM

Color Wonder markers are great bc they don't mark anything but the paper. And there is a coloring book or pad of paper that comes in the pkg.
#8 of 12 Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 PM

Don't forget pillows for yourself, if necessary. The hospital I birthed my first in only gave me 2 pillows and made me give one of those up for DH to sleep with. :
#9 of 12 Old 08-17-2005, 08:47 PM

you are aloud to have your child with you at a hospital birth?? i hadnt started thinking that far ahead yet but it haddent occured to me that it was a possiblity. Do most hospitals alow this?? i know our hospital only alows you to have 2 people with you so if i brought my oldest daughter then my husband or one of my support people would be taking care of her. but i like the idea of my daughter being a part of it.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#10 of 12 Old 08-18-2005, 02:26 AM

*beads to string...thats what our dd did
(oh, and a *teenage girl, to give undevided attention :LOL )
*if you are going to have a birthday cake she could be in charge of bringing the candle.
#11 of 12 Old 08-19-2005, 12:32 PM

We packed a ton of stuff, then ended up not using most of it. The birth center I go to has a family room with a tv/videos and toys. So they played with the toys that were there, watched some movies, and hubby took them to mcdonalds for lunch before my labor was too active. Later, they ran home to check on the dog, and they got back right when I was getting really active. By the time I got in the tub, both kids were content to stand by the tub and watch.
We had to take them with us, as we were new here and knew NO ONE, so had no babysitter, no family.

The one thing we packed that entertained them the most? Snacks! LOL snacky goodies that I never allow them to have and juice boxes!
#12 of 12 Old 08-19-2005, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Stayathomemommy -- yup, we are allowed to have siblings at birth at our hospital (we did have to take dd to a "sibling at birth" training session where she got a tour and watched a video, etc.). The door signs at our hospital do say "limit two visitors" but I guess I consider my DP, doula, DD and her two support persons NOT to be visitors but participants! Further, I know that at least two other hospitals in our city allow sibs at birth...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page