Back pain and cramps when newly pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-19-2005, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello ladies,
I just found out today that I am pregnant! We've been trying for a long 2 years, so while I'm very happy, the news just doesn't seem real, and the excitement hasn't set in yet. I think I'm too scared to believe it.

One thing that is really making me nervous is I have had back pain--not bad, just a dull ache that feels like I was lifting boxes all day and made myself sore. And I am having very light period type cramps, but no spotting at all. Every time I use the bathroom, I'm afraid I'm going to see blood. It's 2 weeks past my period, so wouldn't any implantation pain be gone by now? Why do I feel this way? I also don't feel sick at all, and with my DS #1, I was sick as a dog from 4 weeks on.

Oh! And what levels of HCG are "great" at 6 weeks? Mine are 2848.

Thanks for your reasurance

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#2 of 8 Old 08-19-2005, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm due around April 23rd and I have had some mild back pain and cramping too. I don't think it is unusual.

Congratulations and best wishes to you during your pregnancy!!

Normee, married to DH since 1997, mama to DD born 1999 and DD2 born 2001
#3 of 8 Old 08-19-2005, 04:55 PM

I was just like this when I was newly pregnant. I had cramps and low back pain, similar to what I get for PMS. I was always certain I would see blood everytime I went to the bathroom. I talked to a nurse and she said it's just cramping up because things are stretching and growing and getting used to changes. I don't know if this is baloney or not, but my cramping quit after about 8 weeks anyway and my baby is fine
#4 of 8 Old 08-19-2005, 05:40 PM

Before I knew I was pregnant, I swore every morning that I woke up I thought I was going to get my period. The cramps and the backache felt exactly like my period. I even had some brown spotting. Low and behold, here I am 32 weeks pregnant with twins! I wouldn't worry too much, just take it easy and keep an eye on things
#5 of 8 Old 08-19-2005, 10:05 PM

I know the cramps are totally normal. I don't remember exactly, but I read somewhere that the cramps are due to your uterus stretching and getting ready for the baby that's going to be growing inside. As long as they are not accompanied by any severe pain or bleeding, you have nothing to worry about.
#6 of 8 Old 08-19-2005, 10:11 PM

Oh, and someone on the April boards made this excellent post about HCG levels:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...9&postcount=42

Come join us!
#7 of 8 Old 08-19-2005, 10:14 PM

had period like cramps in the beginning too. I distinctly remember having them 3.5-4.5w along and then a lot around 7w. I also didn't have any nausea until about 8-9w. At the beginning every time I went pee I expected my period to start! Luckily it didn't and now I'm 30w!

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#8 of 8 Old 08-20-2005, 02:23 AM
kir

especially if this is your first baby, this is totally normal. your uterus has to grow a lot. it's confusing, because it's the same muscles that cramp during PMS, so it feels similar, but to me it sounds like it could be those muscles growing and stretching....which they need to do. Congratulations, and enjoy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page