BAD Acne and treatment during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-23-2005, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been struggling with acne for about 5 months. long before i got pregnant. but now that i am pregnant that limits my ways of treatment. its to the point i dont want to leave the house because i have to put a ton of makeup just in order to not feel self conscience. is anyone going through this??

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-23-2005, 07:53 PM

From what I understand Proactiv is safe during pregnancy. Have you given that a try? I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it really helped me.
#3 of 6 Old 08-23-2005, 08:32 PM

I have horrible acne this pregnancy, and I've been using Clean and Clear. I never stopped to think about it, though. It's a very small amount of salicylic acid, and it's only on my skin for a few seconds at a time (I'm just using the acne wash right now). It's not that I feel self-conscious about it, but that my skin is so freaking greasy that I feel like a walking pizza.

I'm sure that someone around here has access to a book about medications during pregnancy and lactation, maybe if you changed the title of your thread, or posted in Health and Healing someone could give you better ideas?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#4 of 6 Old 08-23-2005, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

thanks i actually am using proactive but its not working for me. i'll keep searching, just thought someone was dealing with the same thing

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#5 of 6 Old 08-25-2005, 01:40 PM

I never had a problem with acne until I got pregnant, but my skin has been AWFUL for the past seven and a half months. It seems to be clearing up a bit now (at 31 weeks), thankfully, but I'm still struggling with occasional breakouts. My neck has been the biggest trouble area, especially right under my jawline. I hope that the marks fade with time, because at the moment I look awful.

I tried a little of everything to get rid of the zits, and nothing seemed to help. I eventually gave up all over the counter products and started just using a hot washcloth (and nothing else) on my face, and surprisingly enough, that seemed to help. I do wear makeup sometimes, and then I'd use soap and a little eye makeup remover to take it off.

The other day I broke down and bought some Burt's Bees Tomato soap and toner, and I've been using it for the past couple of days. My face feels a lot cleaner and less oily (but not tight), and though I'm a little reluctant to say that I can tell a difference, I haven't had any NEW breakouts.

Guess that's not exactly advice, but at least you know you're not alone. I got SO sick of hearing people rave about their wonderful, glowing pregnant skin in the beginning when mine was at its worst.
#6 of 6 Old 08-25-2005, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I use Paula's Choice products and they work for me. http://www.cosmeticscop.com/ The 2% salicylic acid liquid solution http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/pro...201&PAGETYPE=S and the extra strength blemish fighting solution http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/pro...211&PAGETYPE=S. The key is to put both products all over your face (not just spot-treating) once a day. I had been on Rx medicine that my dermatologist wouldn't give me while pregnant (azelex) but another dermatologist would prescribe it. Personally, I think my derm is an idiot b/c the medicine (azelaic acid) is actually found in breastmilk and is pretty darn safe.

A new study just came out that says that benzoyl peroxide is actually the safest and most effective acne treatment out there. The bacteria can't be resistant to it and it is not harmful. You just have to put it all over your face and not chase individual zits. It is the ingredient in the extra strength blemish stuff I linked above. I like the product line above b/c it is reasonably priced, she has free shipping on holidays, and it is carefully formulated to be non-irritating (I have very sensitive skin and it is good for me) and it doesn't have fragrance.

Good luck! Your skin will probably level out in the 2nd trimester.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page