Group B Strep - Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 19 Old 09-12-2005, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
Two Spunky Monkeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 11 weeks and just got a call from my mw that I tested + for a UTI caused by GBS. I knew something wasn't right - but I am so upset to find out what was wrong. I was expecting just a normal old UTI - take some antibiotics - drink cranberry juice - etc.

But now I am reading that having a UTI caused by GBS puts me at high risk for GBS disease in my baby. Now I know the % are low - and that most likely taht won't happen - but I am pretty sure this means having IV drugs when in labor - something I did NOT want.

I was GBS+ was #1 at 36 weeks - and did receive the IV drugs - the birth was a terrible experience for me and pretty much traumatized me. #2 I was Neg for GBS and had a great med-free waterbirth - not hooked up to any machines at all.

I just can't stand the thought of having to have an IV and possibly not have a waterbirth if I want that! I did not get to talk to my mw about this - but clearly I will at my next appt.

Anyone have experience with being GBS+ in labor - and still having a nice, natural med-free birth with little interventions?
Two Spunky Monkeys is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 19 Old 09-12-2005, 10:07 PM
 
kerikadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Training in Houston
Posts: 4,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I had #1 and #2 they didn't even test for GBS so I don't know if I had it or not.
I tested pos for #3 and just assumed with #4. I had them at home in the bathtub with no IV or abx. There is no danger until after your water breaks and for me that happened shortly before birth so there were no worries.
My MW's rule is that once your water has been broken for 6 hours you get IV for 20 minutes then you are free to move about for another 6 hours.
If the INSIST that you have the IV abx ask if you can have a heplock so that you aren't tied to the IV, you can just have your dose and when it is done move about freely.

Good luck,
Keri

 Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
kerikadi is offline  
#3 of 19 Old 09-12-2005, 10:23 PM
 
indie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerikadi
There is no danger until after your water breaks and for me that happened shortly before birth so there were no worries.
Even before your water breaks the placenta becomes more permeable during labor so there is some danger although it is less than when you have your water broken for an extended time. Shorter labors are also safer.
indie is offline  
#4 of 19 Old 09-12-2005, 11:14 PM
 
camprunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was pos with dd in the hospital. My CNM knew I didn't truly want a hospital birth and infact was terrified of the hospital. I believe that she purposely hid the result in my chart and thee fore I never recieved antibiotics and had no idea until I requested my records for my upcoming homebirth.
camprunner is offline  
#5 of 19 Old 09-13-2005, 12:07 AM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't test and would not have used antibiotics. I watched for warning signs, and had none.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#6 of 19 Old 09-13-2005, 12:45 AM
 
RachelGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a state of perpetual disbelief
Posts: 6,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are other treatment options. Hibiclens rinses are one possibility, and there are antibiotic creams and oral antibiotic courses you can do in the weeks before the birth.
RachelGS is offline  
#7 of 19 Old 09-13-2005, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
 
Two Spunky Monkeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies. I would be too scared to "hide" these results - if the GBS does indeed put my baby at higher risk I will take the antibiotics (I am on oral ones right now because I was really developing symptoms of a nasty UTI and I know it would have gottena lot worse in a few days). So I am not anti-antibiotics - but I do't want that to interfere with my birth plan, KWIM? Labor seems a long time off for me, so at least I have some time to plan.

Rachel - can you elaborate a little more on other options? I have never heard of any of the things you mentioned and I'd like to know a little more about them. Thanks!
Two Spunky Monkeys is offline  
#8 of 19 Old 09-13-2005, 01:28 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A big reason that I would not agree to antibiotics in labor without other risk factors is it hugely increases the chance of thrush- not the way I want to start a breastfeeding relationship.

good luck! it's still early, I would think by the time you're due you could easily be GBS free.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#9 of 19 Old 09-13-2005, 01:37 PM
 
camprunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh i'm not saying you should hide the results. I'm just saying that obviously the hospital didn't knkow I was GbS+ and I didn't know and all turned out fine so it is possible. This time I am not testing but I am going to do a round of echinacea at 36 weeks and probably do something with Garlic and maybe a hibiclens rinse too. Also your risks of passing GBS to the baby go down significantly when you deliver after either 37 or 38 weeks and when you have a labor where your water is broken for less than 18 hours. My dd was born at 39 weeeks and 6 days and my water was broken for just under 7 hours before she was born so I'm sure those factors helped.
camprunner is offline  
#10 of 19 Old 09-13-2005, 01:39 PM
 
earthmama369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GBS present at 11 weeks doesn't necessarily mean GBS present at 38+ weeks. But if it does happen that way . . . you don't have to accept the antibiotics. Mothering did a good article about the pos/neg's of accepting or declining antibiotics during labor last year(?). I don't have the link but you could search it.

I was positive, and undecided about antibiotics right up until I went into labor. Because my water broke before my contractions started, I decided to do the antibiotics. I asked for (and received) a heplock, so I only had to be connected to an IV for 15 minutes every 4 hours. I never had to lie down or stop what I was doing for more than 30 seconds while the nurse connected the heplock to the IV. They were also very cooperative when I asked for the heplock to be placed so I wouldn't feel it too much as I used my hands and arms during labor. Aside from some bruising when I accidentally ripped the IV out while pushing (oops ), neither or nor my daughter experienced any ill-effects.

You have options. I was really freaked out when I got the test results back, but it ended up being a very minor thing for us.

Good luck!!
earthmama369 is offline  
#11 of 19 Old 09-13-2005, 02:30 PM
 
nonconformnmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: in the wilderness
Posts: 5,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Two spunky monkeys asked: Anyone have experience with being GBS+ in labor - and still having a nice, natural med-free birth with little interventions?
Both of my recent births were GBS+ and they were nice, natural and med-free with little interventions other than the antibiotics. I had each of my babies in a birthing center adjacent to a hospital, with a midwife. I researched the GBS situation and decided to go with the antibiotics, using an IV with a heplock. It only takes about 30 minutes to empty the bag, and then I was free to move about as I wished. With my now 10-month old, I went into labor on my own, labored at home until 4 pm (labor began at 8 a.m.) and went to the birth center around 4pm. They gave me the antibiotics, I labored in various positions, both on and off the bed, and when it was time to push I chose the position I wanted to push in and baby came in 3-4 pushes. She was born at 7:25 p.m. so I was at the birthing center for just over 3 hours before she was born.

My other GBS baby's labor and birth were similar, in the same birthing center. With her, though, my water broke at 3:30 a.m. and contractions did not begin. I absolutely didn't want pitocin, so I avoided going to the ob for as long as I could. I finally went in at 2 pm and they checked me into the birthing center. I got the antibiotics and labored on my own with no interventions; she was born at 1:50 a.m. the next morning.

The nurses were all shocked that I was not having an epidural, they said over 80% get the epis. They commented that it was "wonderful to see a woman labor and birth naturally".

Good luck to you.
nonconformnmom is offline  
#12 of 19 Old 09-13-2005, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
 
Two Spunky Monkeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks again ladies. I got some good info from a midwife/doula friend on an email list. She did tell me not to panic yet - but chances are high that I was be GBS+ at the birth too. It is also true the GBS in urine is very different from it just being present in the vagina or rectum - and that a UTI caused by GBS is usually the "bad" GBS that can cause problems in babies.

So I will most likely have anti-biotics if I am GBS+ at the birth - but I am so happy to hear from other mamams who had a good birth experience regardless of the IV.
Two Spunky Monkeys is offline  
#13 of 19 Old 09-14-2005, 01:20 AM
 
Naughty Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: controlled chaos baby
Posts: 3,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there, I got that same phone call from my midwife today. I am starting antibiotics to kick this infection and will research what I can do to clear the GBS before the pregnancy is over. If I test positive at 36 weeks, my MW says that it is no problem to get the antibiotic drip while in the water. So I am cool with that scenario.

Good luck, lets hope we can both clear it out. For both my other births I was negative.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

Naughty Dingo is offline  
#14 of 19 Old 09-20-2005, 02:23 PM
 
mama2claire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The beach
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just bumping up to get some more stories and possibly ideas for natural ways to rid your body of GBS.

I have a very similar story to the OP - tested + for GBS in the form of a UTI at my 10 week appt. w/the MW. I did a course of ABX at that time. Since then, I've had 2 varying opinions from the 2 MWs and 1 OB I've seen in subsequent appts. One MW and OB told me 'once GBS+, always GBS+, we don't even need to test you at 36 weeks, we'll treat you no matter what' the other MW told me that ABX are not necessary and we'll use the 36 week test to confirm if it's the proper course of action for me. I'm entering my 3rd trimester and starting to prepare my birth plan so I'm trying to arm myself w/info. on GBS and develop a course of action should I test pos. at 36 weeks.

BTW, I never tested pos. w/my first pregnancy and had a lovely natural birth so I'm super bummed that this has come up and may hamper my efforts to have another natural birth. At least the MW did offer the hep. lock and said I'd only have 2 courses of ABX, but I still don't want that to interfere w/my birth experience. On an even bigger level, I don't want to expose my baby to more ABX and open us up to an increased risk of yeast infections either unless the benefits strongly outweigh the risks.
mama2claire is offline  
#15 of 19 Old 09-22-2005, 11:22 PM
 
gilamama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: in the Golan Mountains
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there is an article about natural remedies for gbs on the mothering websight and another thread about using natural remedies to kick gbs on the i'm pregnant forum... just thought it'd be good to know.
gilamama is offline  
#16 of 19 Old 09-23-2005, 01:02 AM
 
Naughty Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: controlled chaos baby
Posts: 3,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks GilaMama.

And thank you EarthMama, for your perspective. That sounds kind of the way my midwife thinks. I am also looking into topical treatments.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

Naughty Dingo is offline  
#17 of 19 Old 09-23-2005, 01:15 AM
 
crazy_eights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nisht ahir un nish aher
Posts: 6,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369
GBS present at 11 weeks doesn't necessarily mean GBS present at 38+ weeks.
The current recommendation is that someone who has a GBS UTI in pregnancy is supposed to get antibiotics in labor.

That being said, if you go the IV route, you can get a dose through a hep lock in about 20 minutes, be disconnected. Where I worked, we wrapped saran wrap over the hep. lock site and let the mom get in a tub/shower whatever they wanted. It is not a big deal. If you want to be in the tub while it's infusing, you can hang your arm over the side until it is finished. The two are not necessarily contradictory!
crazy_eights is offline  
#18 of 19 Old 09-23-2005, 01:18 AM
 
crazy_eights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nisht ahir un nish aher
Posts: 6,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2claire
One MW and OB told me 'once GBS+, always GBS+, we don't even need to test you at 36 weeks, we'll treat you no matter what' the other MW told me that ABX are not necessary and we'll use the 36 week test to confirm if it's the proper course of action for me.
The first MW and OB need to check the CDC's recommendations. NOWHERE does it say 'once positive, always positive' - in fact, they specifically say you should be tested every pregnancy. If you test neg. at 36 weeks, you are at no more risk than anyone else that test neg. The confusion arose in some b/c of the recommendation that anyone who had *previously given birth to a gbs infected baby* should always be considered positive and some practitioners mistook this for 'previous gbs infection *in the mother*'. It's all there in the CDC's current recommendations that were put out in 2002 at www.cdc.gov
crazy_eights is offline  
#19 of 19 Old 09-23-2005, 01:39 AM
 
Naughty Dingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: controlled chaos baby
Posts: 3,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the info Chava.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

Naughty Dingo is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off