Growth Spurts? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-16-2002, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, does htis happen w/pregnancy? Some days I feel crampy and bloated, STRETCHED, and some days I feel like nothing is going on or I'm shrinking. Just when the stretching gets too much, the "nothing" happens, I don't know what's worse... : I haven't read about this specifically, so I figured either I'm broken or it's some unwriten part of the process.

thanks!
#2 of 15 Old 12-16-2002, 09:34 PM

This happens to me too! I haven't found any good references for it anywhere, and I keep forgetting ask my other mama friends, but if it's happening to both of us, it probably happens to other mamas too and is normal.
I find as I get closer to my due date (I'm 29+ weeks now) I have more of the stretched feeling days and less of the squashy days. We'll see how it goes.
#3 of 15 Old 12-16-2002, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Cool I forget these kinds of things when I visit my ND's. We talk about sleeping patterns and my polyp, so it's a little distracting. Not to mention I can barelly remember anything for 2 minutes in a row

thanks!
#4 of 15 Old 12-17-2002, 11:56 AM

Hi MHM~
I also have those days when I feel pretty big & "pregnant" and then some days when I feel really normal. I have wondered if it's the clothes I'm wearing. Like on a "big" day I might be wearing a pair of my normal pants, & on a "regular" day I might be wearing a pr of my new looser pants.
take care, maria
#5 of 15 Old 12-17-2002, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Maria,

I know what you mean, but I wear the same clothes all the time. It's not that. It's a stretching, sorta crampy feeling in my belly. And some days I can't feel my belly doing anything. It's not the baby moving or not, it's still a very small movement in that area.

For a couple days I'll be stretchy, then for a couple days I'll get a break. Or something.

Maybe it's indigestion : Sometimes I snack too much.

cheers!!
#6 of 15 Old 12-17-2002, 04:14 PM

MHM:

I think I am experiencing the same sensations! Sometimes I feel all tight in my belly and it kinda hurts like doing a super stretch if I raise my arms up above my head. Other days, it feels like I have plenty of room there and thus no stretched or taut feeling. I'm thinking it might be our muscles and skin being stretch out during a growth spurt, just like you said!!

~Carey
#7 of 15 Old 12-17-2002, 05:43 PM

Oh, me too! I don't do a whole lot of stretching my arms over my head b/c it makes it worse. Some days, I don't feel anything like that, though. :

I have a little bit of sciatic pain in my left hip, too.

And, now I have two stretch marks - one on my breast, and one on my abdomen! Yikes!

Anyway, Lori, I proclaim you to be: NORMAL!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#8 of 15 Old 12-17-2002, 05:54 PM

Hi JEAN!!! Glad to see ya!!

I have the same pain in my left hip!! Sometimes it hurts just to put pressure on it, and then later in the day it goes completely away. Every1 @ work felt sorry for me one day when I was limping around the office cause my hip hurt...LOL!

Today I'm not feeling the pully, stretchy feelings in my belly, but I remember them yesterday and the day before. The evenings tend to be a little fuller feeling!

No stretch marks for me yet. I've been using this oil blend especially for pg mothers. But I'm waiting for the "beauty marks of pg" to come sooner or later!

YEAHHHHHH! Lori's (and we're) proclaimed NORMAL by JEAN!!
#9 of 15 Old 12-17-2002, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jean (and Crat), I feel SO much better! Normal, what a concept

I think I've got the same hip pain, but in my right hip. Sometimes I think I've dislocated my hip it gets so bad.

I took a walk yesterday and felt the sciatic stuff in my back and pelvis. It calmed down by the time I got home, and the "juices" from the walk felt better afterwards. Sometiems I just want to curl up in bed, but that's not the best thing for me. Gotta GET out there Plus the sun is shining so I should soak it up while I've got the chance.

's

Lori
#10 of 15 Old 12-18-2002, 01:07 AM

Hey, MHM,
I know exactly the feeling you're talking about. This is my second pregnancy, and probably because of that, I can see it too. When I feel stretched, I'm huge! And then sometimes I'll wake up in the morning and be like "Where'd my baby go?!" Sometimes, usually later in the evening, the babe changes position to sort of lean out, so that the big lump I feel is the curve of her spine and buttocks. Or she'll shift around so that a foot or knee is kind of permanently trying to poke out on one side of my bellybutton (in cases like this, we can play tag together, since she can feel my light counterpressure as well).

Anyway, my.02 is that it sounds like changes in fetal position - you have an active little swimmer on your hands! :-)

-Jenna
mama to Samuel 08/02 and due 01/17/03
#11 of 15 Old 12-18-2002, 01:20 AM

Hey, MHM,
I know exactly the feeling you're talking about. This is my second pregnancy, and probably because of that, I can see it too. When I feel stretched, I'm huge! And then sometimes I'll wake up in the morning and be like "Where'd my baby go?!" Sometimes, usually later in the evening, the babe changes position to sort of lean out, so that the big lump I feel is the curve of her spine and buttocks. Or she'll shift around so that a foot or knee is kind of permanently trying to poke out on one side of my bellybutton (in cases like this, we can play tag together, since she can feel my light counterpressure as well).

Anyway, my.02 is that it sounds like changes in fetal position - you have an active little swimmer on your hands! :-)

-Jenna
mama to Samuel 08/02 and due 01/17/03
#12 of 15 Old 12-27-2002, 07:48 PM

I've been having stretching pains as well and calling them growing pains too! They come in spurts, where I'll just feel all stretchy and achey in my stomach for a couple days. At those times, I actually wake up in the middle of the night just starving and have to get up and have a snack or I'll never get back to sleep. Those two things happening together made me just think the baby must be growing and needed more room and more food! It doesn't seem to be related to baby movements at all. Just my belly growing. I haven't noticed my belly seeming bigger, then smaller, then bigger. Though a good friend of mine said that happened to her all the time when she was pregnant.
#13 of 15 Old 12-27-2002, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

I think that's exactly what it feels like, mamajane and Jenna. Sometimes it's just like - Oh, man! Like I'm bustin open, then - whaa happn'? I see what you're saying, Jenna, but I think he's just a little too small for poking thru my uterus right now. Perhaps in a couple weeks. I just get some tapping and rumbling, nothing that dh could feel. Although, yesterday my belly was sorta oblong, the right side of my belly button was poking out more than the left.

I kinda expected the whole process to just charge right on thru to the finish, but the resting in between makes sense. I think I'd get really tired if the bulging days happened everyday. Esp because I'm only half way thru at this point!

Thanks for your inputs ladies I'll keep my eyes open for hineys, knees and elbows

Best wishes and warm tummies to all
#14 of 15 Old 12-28-2002, 03:12 AM

About the hip pain mentioned by a couple of mommas-to-be: get thee to a chiropractor! I had this earlier in my pregnancy and it was excruciating, made it very difficult to get comfortable, walk. etc. Luckily my insurance covers chiropractic and I was able to start going as soon as I realized I needed it. Long story short, one side of my pelvis was higher than the other and the relaxin produced by the body during pregnancy was loosening up ligaments and making it worse. It took about a month or so of 2x weekly visits of to get back to normal, mostly painless. Now I go every other week and am quite happy and mostly comfortable.

Hope you can have similar results! Just make sure you've got a chiropractor who's got experience working w/pregnant women!

JK
#15 of 15 Old 12-28-2002, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

I'd considered a chiropractor and a pg massage therapist. But, I think I was just being sedintary - fretty over surgery, spending a lot of time lying down. I have started getting out and walking, at first it was hard, but after a couple days, I feel a lot better and less creaky. I think it's more chronic than acute. If it gets bad and I can't walk well, I'm definately heading to a chiro or mt. Going to get my arse to a regular prenatal yoga class, too. Darn it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page