Highlighting Hair in First Trimester? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-15-2005, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another question for you mamas - for those who highlight/color their hair, do you wait until the first trimester (or even the whole pregnancy) is over before you color, or do you think it is safe? I have my hair professionally highlighted a few times a year. I'm due for a touch up right now - the gray is really popping up. But I am thinking I should wait until the first trimester is over at least.

My OB said last preg that is it safe, especially since I do foil & it doesn't directly touch my skin, but I am especially paranoid this time around.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#2 of 10 Old 09-15-2005, 04:31 PM

I just had mine done last friday (i'm 5 weeks). I did foil too after my m/w said it would be alright. I used the excuse (to myself) that I was in my fil's very fancy black-tie wedding and couldn't embarrass them with my dark roots but I also wanted to add lowlights to darken it up so that I won't have to do it too much during pregnancy.
#3 of 10 Old 09-15-2005, 04:35 PM

My midwife said I should wait until the first trimester, and if I could wait until after pregnancy even better. From what I've read highlighting isn't nearly as much exposure, but still why take the risk in the first tri when you could just wait a bit.

BTW, i'm 10 weeks postpartum and my roots are down to my ears -- yuk. Now I just don't have the time or money.
#4 of 10 Old 09-15-2005, 05:30 PM

id wait
first trimester is when everything is formed.
you dont want to send bad DNA instructions and end up with problems.

just wait a trimester or so and do it then.
#5 of 10 Old 09-15-2005, 07:12 PM

I would also wait. I waited until 17w to color my hair, and used the least chemical one I could find. Definately wouldn't do it in the first trimester. Jjust me though!

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#6 of 10 Old 09-15-2005, 10:22 PM

I do foils too but wait until second trimester. Just to be safer.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#7 of 10 Old 09-15-2005, 11:08 PM

I was told by my hair stylist that there's no harm in colouring or foiling your hair at any part of the pregnancy...sometimes it just doesn't stay in your hair AS well as if you weren't.
#8 of 10 Old 09-16-2005, 08:38 AM

Could you go for a whole newlook and try henna? I don't even know if that is safe, but thought I would suggest it so you can research it.
#9 of 10 Old 09-16-2005, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun
Could you go for a whole newlook and try henna? I don't even know if that is safe, but thought I would suggest it so you can research it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked into henna quite a bit, I believe it would be safe, but you cannot use it on hair that has already been colored.

At this point, I am just going to hold off on the highlights. What's a few more grays? Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#10 of 10 Old 09-16-2005, 11:39 AM

Not sure how accurate this info is, but I had asked my hairdresser about using henna instead of a chemical dye during pg and she said henna is full of metals and would not be good to use during pg. Me - I'm waiting until after the birth to color. I always have. And it's just sooooo convenient that my gray pops up right in the very front of my head where everyone is sure to see it! Lovely.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page