Water broke at 16 weeks and 4 days - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2005, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My water broke at 16 weeks 4 Days, not really sure why. I am now 19 weeks and 1 day, I have been on bedrest and drinking a ton of water. The baby is fine, right now, strong heart beat, moving, etc. My A.F. was at 3.8 the week before and 2.8 this last week. I brought up Amnioinfusion to my doctor who then proceeded to call UCSF and they said they won't do it because of risk of infection by introducing a needle. Doesn't make much sense to me, I want this procedure done, at least it would be giving my unborn a bigger chance of survival. Does anyone know how often your A.F. reaccumulates. Or know of any perinatologist that does amnioinfusion, I know it can be done I found a case in Venezula that they did serial amnioinfusion on a girl and she had a healthy baby girl.
I am scared that my fluid may not accumulate fast enough and something bad may happen, and I am really upset that I found a solution and can't find anyone tht will even try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2005, 03:30 AM

I'm sorry I don't know anything about amnioinfusion, but I couldn't read and not respond. You and your precious unborn baby are in my thoughts. Keep us posted on whatever happens.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:51 AM

http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/681_4536.asp

"In the early weeks of pregnancy, amniotic fluid consists mainly of water supplied by the mother. After about 12 weeks, fetal urine makes up most of the fluid."

"Some studies also suggest that women with oligohydramnios can help increase their levels of amniotic fluid by drinking extra water"

http://www.southeastmissourihospital...nt/amniofp.htm
Treatment for oligohydramnios may include:

closely monitoring the amount of amniotic fluid and frequent follow-up visits with the physician

amnioinfusion - instilling a special fluid into the amniotic sac to replace lost or low levels of amniotic fluid. Amnioinfusion is still experimental, but it may be offered during pregnancy in an attempt to help prevent pulmonary hypoplasia (underdeveloped lungs), or at delivery to help prevent compression of the umbilical cord.

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pre...s/1199460.html
During the first 14 weeks of your pregnancy, fluid passes from your circulatory system into the amniotic sac as your baby grows. Early in the second trimester, your baby starts to swallow the fluid, pass it through his kidneys, and excrete it as urine — which he then swallows again, recycling the full volume of amniotic fluid every few hours. (Yes, this means that most of the fluid is eventually your baby's urine!)

So your baby plays an important role in keeping just the right amount of fluid in the amniotic sac. Sometimes, though, this system breaks down, resulting in either too much or too little fluid — both of which can present problems.

delivery (if oligohydramnios endangers the well-being of the fetus, then an early delivery may be necessary)

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
Old 09-24-2005, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I don't have much to offer...but IIRC, you replace your amniotic fluid every 3 hours. Keep drinking (and not JUST water, but electrolytes, herbal teas, etc.) and taking your prenatals (the Rainbow Light Prenatals are food-based and much easier to absorb, and don't cause the constipation that is so problematic with many vitamins...important for a Mama on bedrest). Stay positive, leaks can reseal.

And advocate for yourself and your baby by not allowing any hands up your vagina to introduce bacteria or anything else. I can't think of a need for cervical checks that would let me allow someone to stick their fingers near my cervix when I had a ruptured amniotic sac...

You are in my thoughts, Mama.

Love, Penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
Old 09-24-2005, 04:15 AM

Oh sweetie you are in my prayers!!
Old 09-24-2005, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the support, I am trying to stay strong and pray for the best I just get scared all the time, I am sad ALL the time. My 3 year old woke up this morning and pushed my blankets back so he could say good morning to his brother and give him kisses and tell him that he loves him. THat is so hard for me, cause i have no idea what to tell him if something happens, he has been waiting for this.
I just want this all to work out. I lay in bed or on the couch all day/night long. I don't think I am leaking anymore but I didn't think that the week before and she found less fluid, though I know she didn't look as hard as she did the week before either.
Like I said before the amnioinfusion thing really bothers me, its been done before just not here and they won't even try it, and I don't understand why. They are suppose to be a school, where you learn new things, ya know what I mean.
Well I amgoing to go eat...check back in a bit
Old 09-24-2005, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I personally wouldn't risk amnioinfusion. Your body is making plenty of fluid all the time. every hour, you have all new fluid. amnioinfusion is not done like an amniocentesis.

it's done by inserting a catheter up inside your vagina into your uterus. This increases the risk of infection GREATLY.

I wouldn't risk my health or the life of my baby with that procedure. It's not safe at all at this point. It wouldnt' make any difference. Just focusing on your bag resealing and your baby growing beautifully will help.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

I wouldn't never think about doing an amnioinfusion transcervical right now, but they do do it transadominal, just like amniocentisis.

http://www.thefetus.net/page.php?id=390

that was what I was looking into. That was all, I have been drinking a ton of fluid, bedrest and am just worried it won't reaccumulate enough. That is all.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:28 PM

you definitely will keep making more fluid. definitely. however, anything entering your uterus, either vaginally or abdominally, will put your baby at greater risk.

here's hoping that your bag re-seals. I'm sorry you're going through this.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

I am hopeful that I will reaccumulate more fluid, but I am really scared, I drink so much water, I feel I am going to float away. :LOL And I am serious when I say that, I've been drinking anywhere from 1 gallon to 2 gallons a day, and more today!
And it so hard to get bedrest at my house, and it is nobody's fault really, my 3 year old doesn't understand why I can't be his full time Mommy. I tell him the doctor said I have to stay in bed, and he tells me "Mommy, the doctor said you can get up, Come look". I have a 16 y/o who just broke his ankle, and I can't help him, my 14 y/o has been doing alot, but I don't like laying all of that on her either. And my significant other has been doing alot as well, cooking, cleaning, working (construction), shopping and complaining alot, I said welcome to my world I used to do it all and work 12 hour days and commute and hour and a half each way to get there and do everything else. So again welcome to my world.
I will keep posting cause I like to hear from people, since all I can really do is watch TV and play on my computer.
Thanks All
Old 09-25-2005, 02:00 AM

Are there any herbs or teas that you might be able to take to help the bag seal up?

I know that eating a well balanced diet in (and lots of fluid that you are already getting) helps to strengthen the bag of waters.

I'm sorry that you are going through all of this. (((hugs)))
Old 09-25-2005, 03:47 AM

Sorry about the bed-rest. I was only on bed-rest for a few weeks, and that seemed like alot. When I was in the hospital my roommate was in a similar situation. Her water broke at something like 22 weeks and she had been in the hospital up to 25.5 weeks. I ended up leaving and I don't know what happened, but she and the baby seemed to be doing well (better than me ). It must be so difficult with a family. I wish you lots of strength and patience, because hopefully you will have at least 20 or so more weeks left before your little one makes their appearance.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:02 AM

Oh hugs! Definitely focus on good nutrition (hard to do I know, especially when on bedrest) and I ditto Spruce's recommendation for Rainbow Light prenatals.

Hoping and : that your water will seal back up and baby will keep making plenty of amniotic fluid!
Old 09-26-2005, 11:15 AM

:
Old 09-26-2005, 12:29 PM

I wil be sending stay put baby vibes your way along with seal leak vibes.

I was gonna tall you to drink more water but it seems youve already been told that. I hope this has the best outcome.

Take Care
Old 09-26-2005, 12:34 PM

I just wanted to let you know you will be in my thoughts. Hoping everything stays stable.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
Old 09-26-2005, 02:57 PM

Just wanted to add my hopes that everything turns out for the best.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 09-26-2005, 06:33 PM

Old 09-26-2005, 11:46 PM

Good luck mom! I am sending you my prayers.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:56 AM

I wanted to send my good wishes as well.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:34 PM

Hugs and positive vibes!!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Went to the doctors today, heartbeat was strong. he kicked or hit the doppler when she was trying to hear the heartbeat, that was funny. Going to ultrasound appointment tomorrow.
:0)
Old 09-28-2005, 01:10 PM

YAYYYY!!!!!!!!! xxoo
Old 09-28-2005, 01:37 PM

So glad you had a good appointment!
Old 09-28-2005, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Went to doc, heartbeat was strong, he kicked the doppler when she was lookin for the heartbeat, she and I both felt it. Going to ultrasound tech today and see how the water has accumulated. I have been drinking so much water like 2 to 3 gallons a day, I am hopeful.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:45 PM

I will be praying for you and baby.

Good luck on your ultrasound!!!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 10-03-2005, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well nothing I didn't expect came out of the visit to UCSF, all negative, are you sure you want to keep it, you are optimistic. O well not all negative, um, through the ultrasound they found that it doesn't appear anything to do with the baby caused my water to break. My A.F. had increased, it was at 3.2 on Wednesday and 4.31 on Friday. So that is a good sign as far as I am concerned. They told me i was very optimistic, I am thinking if my baby wanted to go anywhere he would do so. My fluid is increasing, slowly but surely, we saw the stomach and bladder last Wednesday, which we didn't see the week before which means he is swallowing now. So that too is a good sign. They may admit me to UCSF at 25 weeks, not sure yet though.
Thats all for now
Old 10-03-2005, 11:23 PM

sending stay put baby vibes!!! Sounds like things are getting better though Good Luck
Old 10-04-2005, 09:52 AM

Sending you some good vibes!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:57 AM

Sending you good keeping baby inside vibes. A friend of mine had her water break at 18 weeks and she made it until 30 weeks. Her dd was in the NICU for a while but is now a BIG happy healthy 4 year old. Just continue doing what your doing as it seems to be working. Wishing you the best. Micky

User Tag List