Red Raspberry Leaf Tea tribe - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 2269 Old 06-13-2006, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan&jordansmommy
Yikes! OK, I like just about everything! Honestly, I have drank unsweetened tea all my life and really I like most things. I was using the RRL tea bags and the taste wasn't great but I didn't mind it. Well, I just bought some bulk and made the infusion like Susun Weed said in her book. I took about 1 ounce and put in in a jar. Then I added boiling water to the 1 quart mark (I also added a tiny amt of peppermint). I let it steep for 3 hours. It is so bitter I can't stand it. Is it supposed to be this bitter? This morning I added some water to the pitcher to water it down and I can handle it better but it is still pretty bad.

Just wondering if this is normal or if I did something wrong?
Some herbalist recommend steeping herbs a max of 30 minutes unless steeping woody parts of plants like roots and bark. One reason is the bitter taste that can develop.

Also, RR is a bit heat sensitive compared to other herbs so it is recommended to add it last in a mixed tea or let the water cool a bit (about two minutes) before adding to RR. I should not be added to boiling water. This may or not help with bitterness.

Personally, I mix all my chosen herbs in a quart jar (or french press) and pour water over them that was just about to boil. I let them steep anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight.

My pregnancy tea mix:

Equal parts red paspberry leaf, nettle leaf, and oatstraw.
About 3/4 cup dry herbs to 1 quart water.
I drink one cup two-three times daily.

I sometimes add alfalfa, but it is contraindicated in pregnancy by some herbalists because of it's mild estrogenic properties and some individual may develop lupus like symptoms with this herb. I feel comfortable using it occasionaly or in smaller amounts because I have used it prior to pregnancy without incidence.

HTH Someone!

p.s. you can try apple juice or the concentrate to help sweeten it a bit.
#302 of 2269 Old 06-13-2006, 07:07 PM

does anyone know if you can reuse the loose leaf (for example, with loose green tea you can use the same leaves about four times). i have been reusing the rasberry leaf teas and get the dark color...

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
#303 of 2269 Old 06-14-2006, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurve
does anyone know if you can reuse the loose leaf (for example, with loose green tea you can use the same leaves about four times). i have been reusing the rasberry leaf teas and get the dark color...
Yes! Use them as long as you have color and flavor coming. You might want to store them in the fridge when not in use.
#304 of 2269 Old 06-14-2006, 07:18 PM

so I was just sitting here pondering the recipes that measure in ounces... thinking 'how on EARTH would I know what an ounce of dried herb looks like' when I remembered from my : days... duh. Although those weren't rich days so it's much easier for me to eyeball a 1/4 ounce Well at least that time wasn't completely wasted, huh.
That's a lot more than I've been using, maybe that's why I haven't had bitterness problems. What I usually do (when I don't feel like making a smoothie) is fill a quart jar halfway with my herb mix and steep overnight, then mix it with equal amounts of water and a little apple and lemon juice and keep it in a pitcher in the fridge. I drink a few glasses a day and it's goooood! My mix is RRL, nettles, alfalfa (what are lupus symptoms, btw!) and rose hips. Yummy.
#305 of 2269 Old 06-14-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I have done that same thing! I will re use the mixture twice and then toss into the garden. I'm sure with the nettles (I'm using that and RRL) my soil has a very iron rich-ness! I've been trying to drink at least a cup a day. I add a little berry juice to it for added flavor some times....

Happy brewing!

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#306 of 2269 Old 06-14-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma
Yup, nettle leaf. I don't know how much to advise you to buy, but I think my ratio of RRL and nettle was 4:1 when I made my own tea. I ended up getting lazy and going back to the stuff in the teabag.
I have been mixing it 2:1 because I had problems with anemia during my last prgnancy.. My MW actually suggested that.

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#307 of 2269 Old 06-14-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma
I really think adding a bit of peppermint/spearmint and other beneficial herbs "softens" the taste of the RRL.
:
I was adding fresh pepp leaves until I ran out last week....

#308 of 2269 Old 06-14-2006, 07:49 PM

I'm about to place another order, I'm running low on RRL and I want to get some nettle. I'm 32 weeks today, will it be enough to last till the end if I get 1lb of RRL and 1/2lb of nettle?

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#309 of 2269 Old 06-15-2006, 04:46 PM

I love RRL tea!!!!!! In the summer I'm addicted to it with ice!

And hey - you know you don't have to give it up after your baby's born......it's an excellent post partum drink.......it's good throughout your whole life span.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#310 of 2269 Old 06-16-2006, 04:19 PM

I'm joining too I am ordering a bunch of it through our local co op but until then I got some pregnancy tea. It's got RRL with a few other things (I'm sure most here are familiar with it). I haven't had much of it though, I'm always just really thirsty for water right now! It's good with a bit of honey in it though!
#311 of 2269 Old 06-16-2006, 08:35 PM

Hi there! I've read up on this entire thread and I wanted to thank all of you for putting such great info and suggestions out there and for sharing your stories. I've been drinking RRL tea (TM Preg tea) on and off since I found out I was pg at 3w2d. Now that I'm almost 18 weeks I'm stepping it up and drinking a cup or 2 daily. I am inspired to make my own brew from loose leaves and am planning on placing an order soon....definitely getting RRL, nettle, alfalfa, oatstraw, and maybe some milk thistle or spearmint. I have never tried stevia and am curious to learn more about it.

I wanted to ask you ladies, I am trying to figure out what to use to brew in. I have a metal tea pot to boil the water, but I want a quart size container that I can steep in for hours, maybe overnight..one that will hold the heat for a while. I see that some of you use a mason jar. Do I need to be so concerned over what to put it in or is a glass jar with a lid a great option? I could maybe wrap it in a towel to hold the heat for a while?

I would love to pop in here now and then and share the RRL experience with all of you! Congrats to all the new mommies and those expecting!

Kim, mama to Ariadne (5), Athena (3), 2 , and due in January.
#312 of 2269 Old 06-16-2006, 08:56 PM

i just wanted to add that since starting to drink my RRL tea i have not noticed as much uterine stretching pain! it's been quite nice!

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
#313 of 2269 Old 06-16-2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenix
Hi there! I wanted to ask you ladies, I am trying to figure out what to use to brew in. I have a metal tea pot to boil the water, but I want a quart size container that I can steep in for hours, maybe overnight..one that will hold the heat for a while. I see that some of you use a mason jar. Do I need to be so concerned over what to put it in or is a glass jar with a lid a great option? I could maybe wrap it in a towel to hold the heat for a while?
I haven't found any Mason jars here (in Singapore). But we do have an Ikea, so I bought a $4.00 (thick) glass pitcher there. I throw my leaves in, pour boiling water over it, cover it with a plate, and steep overnight. The glass holds in the heat for quite a while! I would imagine any glass/ceramic pitcher/jar would be sufficient, provided you feel confident it wouldn't crack on you...good luck!
#314 of 2269 Old 06-17-2006, 04:21 PM

Nice! I read the first page, did someone ask this on one of the other pages.... somewhere I read to not drink it when you are pregnant because it could CAUSE you to miscarry? Am I worrying unnnecessarily? I think I would like to do this... I had a rough labor last time.

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#315 of 2269 Old 06-17-2006, 05:39 PM

I'm sure millions will write in. RRL does NOT cause miscarriage, according to all of our ancient wisdom. Of course, western medicine and the food and drug administration would have us believe that anything that doesn't come from the hand of a doctor will most certainly harm us and all that surround us...

Do the research for yourself. As a rule of thumb, don't embark on anything that you are unsure is safe, healthwise. Please research it first and if the research doesn't convince you, then it may be best that you DON'T do it.

The "placebo" effect is relevant, IMO, and if you are seriously thinking that bad will befall you, you could swing the wind in that direction. I've heard of people who believe that taking vitamin C will make them sicker during the duration of a cold. Guess what? They DID get sicker after "consenting" to take it on the advice of a friend. Had they done the research that vitamin C is very helpful and efficient in battling a cold and felt more confident in taking the vitamin C, they might have reaped the benefits. Do you see what I"m saying?

Good luck on your journey.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#316 of 2269 Old 06-17-2006, 08:37 PM

Hello.

New here (although I registered for the site a long while back) and I have some questions. I was pointed towards this thread after asking some questions about RRL on another board.

My biggest question is - Is it safe to drink RRL if you have had a previous c-section and trying for a VBAC? I'm concerned about it, because it sounds like while the tea does a great job of toning the uterus and helping labor, the contractions end up being stronger. I know that super-strong contractions (such as those caused by being chemically induced) are a bad thing due to the increased risk of a uterine rupture.

TIA!
Nicole
#317 of 2269 Old 06-17-2006, 10:47 PM

I am trying to stear clear of sugary drinks (before I had my son, in the height of my phone tech career, I would drink upto 12 cans of dew per day!) during this pregnancy...I did pretty good with my son, but I was at home for the first 5m, and did poor-er the latter half once I was working again.

My MW suggested RRL tea, and I said "I totally bought 3+lbs of leaves already, I was just waiting to hear your thoughts on when it was ok"

LOL.

I would like to brew big pitchers of sweet tea/RRL tea...lol. I'm in the south now after all!
I bought some raw organic honey to use

I just wondered how much leaves to use to make large quatities of iced tea?
I want to make 2qt at a time and keep it in the fridge for handy use

I bought 2lbs RRL, 1lb peppermint, and 1/2lb of nettle to combine into my own mix in the 4:2:1 ratio.

But should I use 2c of leaves? or what??
and any advice on sweetening such a large ammt the first time would be good (I figure adding it to hot tea will be best, but a rough estimate of what would be a "normal" ammt would be good...lol)
#318 of 2269 Old 06-18-2006, 01:05 PM

Nicole- I'm having a VBAC and feel really safe with the tea. I'm staying away from herbs like the cohoshes, but from what I've read about RRL, I think it's perfectly fine for a VBAC. It's not something that will stimulate labor or bring on contractions, and I don't think I've ever read that it makes contractions more intense. More effective, maybe. And having a strong, healthy uterus is a good thing for sure! The studies show that it doesn't really make a difference in the length of labor, but it does promote a better outcome (less interventions) so that's a good thing for us.

Shan- I brew in a 2qt pitcher with 1-2 cups of herbs and steep covered overnight. I throw in a little apple juice and lemon for sweetness/flavor and it tastes great over ice. I don't use honey so can't help you there!
#319 of 2269 Old 06-19-2006, 09:19 AM

I usually drink my RRL tea unsweetened and alternate adding nettles. Yesterday, I used Stevia to sweeten my brew for the first time. (2 teaspoons of whole leaf for 1 liter of tea) This was way too sweet for my taste, but I recommend it for anyone looking for a way to sweeten their tea.
#320 of 2269 Old 06-19-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
i just wanted to add that since starting to drink my RRL tea i have not noticed as much uterine stretching pain! it's been quite nice!
I just realized as I read this that I have experienced the same!

#321 of 2269 Old 06-19-2006, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Ok something someone said several pages back got me thinking. I'll try not to make TOO big a habit of that... (thinking, that is. ) Anyway. I had started off drinking some RRL by just getting some teabags from the local healthfood store, and then I ordered a bunch of bulk RRL from Mountain Rose Herbs, and when I brewed my first cup, I used the same amount of MRH herbs that were in the healthfood store teabags, but my tea was so weak and pale. Several of you gave me suggestions, but I think the most helpful comment was this:

"Remember that the RRL you get bulk is a lot fresher than the stuff in the teabags".

This, combined with several people who said to use a little more loose tea, made me have an epiphany.

I think it's like when I'm making a recipe... and the recipe says I can use say, 3 teaspoons of fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon of dried oregano. The fresher stuff isn't as "concentrated" as the dried stuff so you need more of it to get the same effect.

So I brewed a quart today and used two big healthy tablespoonfuls of loose tea. It IMMEDIATELY turned dark, like I expect tea to do. I was excited. And, I'm still going to end up saving money by using the bulk RRL even though I have to use "more" of it than the stuff in the ready-made teabags. Box of teabags = 4.99 = 24 cups of tea. Big bag of RRL = 7.99 (or so, can't remember exactly how much it was) = a whole bunch more than 24 cups of tea. :P

Just wanted to share that with you all. Ok now, back to your regularly scheduled board.

Andrea
edd 12-9-06

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#322 of 2269 Old 06-19-2006, 07:40 PM

Andrea- you got it exactly!

I can definately see where it can be confusing, and it really is one of those things you have to experience to fully understand, but once you got it, you got it!
#323 of 2269 Old 06-20-2006, 08:49 PM

Ok one more li'l question...

I know that "regular" tea and coffee are diuretics... but is it b/c of the caffeine? Is RRL the same way or is it not a diuretic? I know that the RRL doesn't have caffeine.

I just want to know so I can drink some extra water or not. Then again, I might drink the extra water anyway. I could probably use it for sure.

Andrea

Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#324 of 2269 Old 06-23-2006, 05:51 PM

Anyone?

Andrea
edd 12-9-06

#325 of 2269 Old 06-23-2006, 06:19 PM

A midwife that posts here and elsewhere online said she counts RRL as part of your daily fluid intake. Yup, coffee and tea are diuretics because of the caffeine.
#326 of 2269 Old 06-23-2006, 07:35 PM

I've always heard that herbal teas count for water, but not juice/soda/ coffee/caffeinated teas.
#327 of 2269 Old 06-23-2006, 07:45 PM

Oh, I also have a question for everyone...
I've been drinking 2 cups a day until a few days ago (haven't been feeling well), and it seems that after I stopped drinking it I started getting really frequent, strong braxton hicks. I've heard that drinking it can either give you more bh's or stop them, so I'm wondering now if I should maybe stop drinking it if it's keeping me from getting bh's... but then again maybe it's just a coincidence. Anyone else notice more or less bh's depending on rrl intake?
#328 of 2269 Old 06-23-2006, 08:37 PM

I've heard both ways, more BH and less. BH are just your body practicing, but they aren't necessary. I wouldn't stop drinking it.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#329 of 2269 Old 06-25-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96
Ok one more li'l question...

I know that "regular" tea and coffee are diuretics... but is it b/c of the caffeine? Is RRL the same way or is it not a diuretic? I know that the RRL doesn't have caffeine.

I just want to know so I can drink some extra water or not. Then again, I might drink the extra water anyway. I could probably use it for sure.

Andrea
RRL doesn't dehydrate you and it is actually the opposite of a diuretic. It's been used to relieve people of lax bowels when consumed cold. But that doesn't mean you can't drink more water anyway

One place to reference the herbs you use:
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/m...pbe05.html#med

Rhannie
#330 of 2269 Old 06-25-2006, 01:29 PM

Has anyone had a problem with RRL tea drying out/chapping your lips? My lips keep getting really chapped and the only thing I can think of is the tea For now I'm still drinking, just wearing lots of lip balm. My tea consists of rrl, nettles, alfalfa and spearmint.

Tags
Herb Pharm , New Mom Guide

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page