Red Raspberry Leaf Tea tribe - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 2269 Old 06-29-2006, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinkel
Woohoo!! I LOVE hearing stories like this!!! (thanks for sharing) I'm due any day now, and have been drinking RRL like a madwoman since my 2nd trimester. I'm visualizing a smooth birth like yours (wish me luck)!
I know it! I can't wait to see if this stuff works. I've been slacking lately b/c I don't have any tea made, I'm waiting for my next order to get here : . Jinkel, be sure to post your story!

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#362 of 2269 Old 06-29-2006, 12:58 PM

Hi everyone! New here, but not to RRL/nettle tea!

I am currently 34 weeks along, and started drinking my RRL/nettle tea about 3 or 4 weeks ago and each week, I brew it a little bit stronger. Before that, I was taking RRL/nettle tinctures.

Right now, I'm up to 6tbsp of 2:1 RRL/nettle tea in a quart jar and I drink 1 quart a day. It is so yummy cold!

Since I've started taking it, my blood pressure has gone down a little bit and my bh's are almost non-existent (and I was having a LOT of them.)

Excited to join you all and see what happens in the upcoming weeks!

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#363 of 2269 Old 06-29-2006, 02:36 PM

TONS of luck going your way jinkel!!!: And I'm so glad to hear this help so many women!

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#364 of 2269 Old 06-30-2006, 12:51 PM

Ok moms, I know it's in here somewhere but how do I make 1 cup of RRL????
I just got my herbs today and I want a cup... Like now! LOL!
Here's my orginal recipe...
6tsp. rrl
4tsp. nettle
3tsp. spearmint
3tsp. alfalfa
In a quart of water and then dilute 1:1....
Sooooo how could I make the same strength with only making a cup?

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
#365 of 2269 Old 06-30-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskermommy
Ok moms, I know it's in here somewhere but how do I make 1 cup of RRL????
I just got my herbs today and I want a cup... Like now! LOL!
Here's my orginal recipe...
6tsp. rrl
4tsp. nettle
3tsp. spearmint
3tsp. alfalfa
In a quart of water and then dilute 1:1....
Sooooo how could I make the same strength with only making a cup?
Uhhhh, I have no idea! I haven't made just a cup since I used the teabags. You dilute? I just drink the mix straight up (strained of course, don't really like to chew my tea). Just estimate, toss in a bunch of herbs, and go nuts!

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#366 of 2269 Old 06-30-2006, 12:58 PM

LMAO! Yeah, chewing tea isn't very good!! LOL! I'll just start testing!

Should I not be diluting that mix?

#367 of 2269 Old 06-30-2006, 01:01 PM

Dilute away if that's what you want, it just never occured to me to do that. I just assumed that stronger was better. I let the whole shebang steep overnight, strain them into a pitcher, and yum! Doesn't last as long as I'd like it to with the amount I drink, and it sucks boiling water when it's a billion degrees outside, but totally worth it!

#368 of 2269 Old 06-30-2006, 01:04 PM

LOL!
How much do you make at a time? I mix all that to one quart and let it steep overnight and then strain in the morning.

#369 of 2269 Old 06-30-2006, 01:06 PM

6 quarts. I went to Target and bought a pack of Mason jars. Of course, once the herbs are strained out, it's more like 3/4 of a qt, times 6.

#370 of 2269 Old 06-30-2006, 01:07 PM

So wouldn't our mixes be close since I only use a quart? Or am I confused?

#371 of 2269 Old 06-30-2006, 01:10 PM

Here's what I do:

I take a handfull of RRL and half a handfull of nettle, and toss that into EACH jar. Then pour boiling water into all the jars, etc. Each jar has the same concentration, I just put all the liquid into one container in the fridge. So it's as strong as it would be if it was just one quart, kwim?

#372 of 2269 Old 06-30-2006, 01:16 PM

OHHHHHHHH! : Sorry!

#373 of 2269 Old 06-30-2006, 02:45 PM

Going back to read some of this thread, but in the meantime, a newbie question.

At this late date (39.5 weeks ) can it do me any good to drink some RRL tea each day? I'm sure it can't hurt, but what I mean is, does RRL take some time to build up and get effective? Or is it one of those herbs that can be effective right away?
#374 of 2269 Old 06-30-2006, 07:36 PM

Hi all,

I have noticed that my prenatal vitamin has some RRL in it...

Would you drink the tea in addition to getting it in your vitamin?

Thanks,
Erin

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#375 of 2269 Old 06-30-2006, 09:59 PM

Tooticky, yes I would be drinking tea in addition to the vitamin. There's not enough in the vit to have a significant effect.

PancakeGoddess, I'm not sure about that, but if I were you, I would make some REALLY STRONG brews and chugalug. Drink as much as you can stomach, as often as you can. I hope it works for you!

#376 of 2269 Old 07-01-2006, 11:03 AM

Amy- I'd go ahead and try! If nothing else, you'll feel like you're doing something.

Erin- I drank the tea in addition to my prenatals which contain RRL
#377 of 2269 Old 07-01-2006, 12:20 PM

Okay, I am coming down the home stretch. Just a month until my EDD! I have a pound of organic dried and am trying to consume as much as possible. I am doing infusions, but I find that if I use too much RRL it makes me feel weak, shakey and sick. I was trying to make them extra strong but that wasn't working. Would adding the dried leaves into my smoothies work? Can I get the benefits from dried RRL without steeping it in hot water for hours first?
#378 of 2269 Old 07-01-2006, 02:38 PM

I just bought a pound of RRL from mountain rose herbs and I am not quite sure where to start. I've read so many different ways to do this. I have one of those tea makers (like a coffee maker) which I thought would be cool, until I read that should steep for a really long time. I'd love to make a big jug of iced tea. Should I just dump some in the biggest teapot I have and then add water to it after steeping? Also, I didn't get any other herbs to go with it. It's still good alone right?
#379 of 2269 Old 07-01-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren
I just bought a pound of RRL from mountain rose herbs and I am not quite sure where to start. I've read so many different ways to do this. I have one of those tea makers (like a coffee maker) which I thought would be cool, until I read that should steep for a really long time. I'd love to make a big jug of iced tea. Should I just dump some in the biggest teapot I have and then add water to it after steeping? Also, I didn't get any other herbs to go with it. It's still good alone right?
It is fine alone, although many people don't care for the taste. That's why they will put other herbs in with it. Or they will use nettle with it which is also great for pregnant women. I'm not a big fan of the taste either. I chug it. I put a small handful in an organic cotton tea pouch and steep overnight at room temperature. Then I refridgerate it and drink the pitcher within 2-3 days. If you don't steep it for a long time you won't get all of the benefits.
#380 of 2269 Old 07-01-2006, 03:49 PM

Amy- I've heard that drinking rrl can be compared to lifting weights... you see the greatest effects when you do it on a regular basis for a while. I think if you start now you can at least get the nutritional benefits, and probably many of the toning benefits too. And there's certainly something to be said for the placebo effect!!

Yes you can do rrl plain. I think some people like to add other stuff for taste and added nutritional properties.

I used to throw fresh rrl into my smoothies, the only thing different with dried is that the water is taken out... they may be a little harder to digest and give a crunchy texture to the smoothie, but if they're chopped up really fine it shouldn't be a big deal.

I put 2 cups of my mixed rrl/nettle/alfalfa/rose hips into a 2 quart pitcher, steep covered overnight, strain, add a little water (whatever the leaves sucked up) and a little apple juice or cranberry concentrate and lemon juice, and drink 2 cups a day over ice. DH drinks it too, straight from the pitcher (I just caught him)
#381 of 2269 Old 07-01-2006, 07:03 PM

Must it be with boiled water? You know how sun tea is just made by steeping in cold? Same thing?
#382 of 2269 Old 07-01-2006, 08:00 PM

I heat the water to just-boiling, I guess rrl is 'fragile' and the lower temp is better... I dont know much about sun tea but it would probably work?
#383 of 2269 Old 07-01-2006, 08:22 PM

I honestly have no idea how it would work with cool/cold water. I'd imagine it may take longer to steep. I also "just" boil the water, or else I find that the tea floats and makes it difficult to strain.

#384 of 2269 Old 07-01-2006, 10:51 PM

Hmm. I may try just letting it steep in cold filtered water. I'll let you know how it goes.
#385 of 2269 Old 07-01-2006, 11:12 PM

I guess you'll know by how dark it gets. If it doesn't get nice and amber it probably isn't going to cut it. Hopefully it works, it seems like it would be best the closest to 'raw' as possible!
#386 of 2269 Old 07-07-2006, 10:10 AM

I ordered my tea! I ordered red raspberry leaf, nettles, alfalfa, and peppermint. Suggestions for blending it? I like the taste of the raspberry tea alone, last pregnancy I only drank that..... so the other stuff is just for extra benefit not to enhance the taste. Thanks so much...
#387 of 2269 Old 07-07-2006, 02:47 PM

Okay, I read back several pages and the first page and couldn't find this answer, so I apologize if it has been asked before!

What are the benefits of adding nettle tea?

Another question, my neighbor has four children that she has nursed and she says she always "fortified" her bm with RRL/Nettle tea after the birth, and that her children slept through the night fairly early (IMO). I'm more than willing to nurse my next child at night a long time as I did with my son, but I'd be lying if I said the idea of him/her sleeping through a little earlier wasn't appealing to me! Anyone know if there is any truth to this, or what the benefits are in BM?

Lastly, where are you buying your tea?

I'm only 6 weeks along, and ready to get started. I had a great L&D the first time, went natural, it was 11 hours from first contrax. to birth, but I'd love for it to be a little more pain free if possible this time!
#388 of 2269 Old 07-07-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogaMama04
What are the benefits of adding nettle tea?
holding a squirmy babe

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=166
#389 of 2269 Old 07-07-2006, 05:32 PM

I bought my tea at www.bulkherbstore.com, however there are other places online as well! This is the first time I've used fresh herbs so I went with a cheap route. But I don't think it has any effect on the herbs.. They taste great!!

Question: Here is what I am currently mixing....
Per cup
2 tsp RRL
1.5 tsp Nettle
1.25 tsp Alfalfa
1.25 tsp Spearmint
I am 20 weeks pregnant and was wondering if I should leave it as it is or make it stronger? Ideally I'd like to only drink 2 cups a day for the remainder of the pregnancy.

Thanks mamas!

#390 of 2269 Old 07-07-2006, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the information! Why are you all mixing in mint, alfafa, etc.? For taste, or do these have additional benefits as well?

How much should I start with for my first order? How long to the herbs stay fresh before you need to reorder?

Tags
Herb Pharm , New Mom Guide

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page