Red Raspberry Leaf Tea tribe - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2006, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
-- i'm sooo confused-- i just googled pregancy diet and the link i got said specificly not to drink this stuff during pregnancy--"Herbal Teas
Herbs may sound harmless, but many have potent effects, and some should be avoided during pregnancy. Stay away from raspberry tea, cohash, slippery elm, ginseng and green tea – these may stimulate contractions. Instead, try fruit, ginger or mint teas." the link is http://pregnancytoday.com/reference/.../dietdonts.htm

now all these stories i've been reading here say how much you benefit during labor-- can someone please clue me in and exactly where is the best place to read up on this and exactly where i get the "recipe" and herbs themselves--i'm new here so please bare with me-- i just found out yesterday that i'm 4 weeks along feel free to pm me or send an email to me at [email protected]--
thanks again!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2006, 06:44 PM

It's pretty much a blanket warning... for those who are uneducated about their fertility, their body, the effect herbs *can* have, etc herbs can be dangerous. Some women shouldn't drink RRL tea... it just depends on the individual woman... As for the other herbs mentions (they misspelled cohosh btw), it's pretty much the same: depends on the woman and how her body reacts to the herbs. Cohosh for example is used as an herbal induction method by some, so yes it can stimulate contractions.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:42 AM

Has anyone had more tearing with faster labors? My ds was 23 1/2 hours of labor and 6 pushes before he came, but no tearing. Is there any correlation? I know the size makes a difference but does the labor time??
Old 08-04-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risen_joy
Has anyone had more tearing with faster labors? My ds was 23 1/2 hours of labor and 6 pushes before he came, but no tearing. Is there any correlation? I know the size makes a difference but does the labor time??
No correlation in my experience. I had waterbirths with #2 and #3 and pushed in the position*I* chose.

8 hr labor- episiotomy :
4 hr labor- skidmark, no stitches and didn't even feel it the next day
2 hr labor- no tears, no stitches, felt great

Old 08-05-2006, 08:13 PM

Question about helping with placenta delivery. With my first, the placenta wouldn't deliver, through any method the midwives tried, so I had to be carted to the emergency room in an ambulance, with my new babe, to have the doctor remove it. And, man it was a bumpy ride, you'd think they'd put better shocks on the ambulance vans! The homebirth itself was fine (only 4-5 hours), but the continuing contractions and hassle made it a painful 13 hour day.

So, will RRL help to avoid this for my next birth? I had placenta previa early on with last pregnancy, so maybe this lead to not birthing it correctly later, I don't know.

So glad to have found this thread, will definitely be drinking the tea throughout my pregnancy.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:54 PM

I can't say for sure about the placenta delivery, but I'd imagine RRL would help. It is supposed to help tone the uterus to make contractions more productive, therefore it would stand to reason that the uterus would be better able to expel the placenta. This is just theory though, I don't know for certain.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
Old 08-07-2006, 12:47 AM

FWIW, I've read time and time again that placenta births are often very smooth and the mothers attribute it to the RRL. My friend had a (forced) C-section and the doctors never saw a placenta birth go so well with a C/S before.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:07 AM

I just started today (33 weeks)! Wow, it's really good! I usually don't like unsweetened (iced) tea, but it was great. I'm going to make up a huge pitcher of it tomorrow and go to town.

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
RRL was good for DH this weekend. :P He went in to work briefly but was tummy sick so he came home. I fixed him a big mug of my RRL and let him sip it all day so he could keep his fluids up. By the end of the day he felt better. I can't remember if I read on this thread or not that it helps w/ nausea but it seemed to help him. LOL. I should have told him at the end of the day that his uterus is nice and strong now.

As for me, I've gotten into a routine w/ making the tea and having a pitcher in the fridge, so that I am always sure to have some. And it's an easy method to modify when I need to make it stronger (i.e. in December when I go into labor. :P).

Anyway cheers to everyone.

Andrea
edd 12-9-06

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:27 PM

My mother bought me a winter supply (very large amount) of RLT from The Compleat Mother magazine when she bought me a subcription as a Christmas present. Here is a link for the tea, but while you're there, check out the magazine- it's wonderfully inspiring. http://www.compleatmother.com/tea_company.htm
Old 08-08-2006, 04:27 PM

thanks for the info, ladies. I also read on the compleat mother link that it does help with placenta delivery.

It's official, I passed the test today, so off to order some tea!!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:57 PM

I am going to place an order today for some bulk herbs.

I need to get going.....I am already on week 27 or so.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 08-11-2006, 12:40 AM

Posting mainly to subscribe. I used RRL tea off and on throughout my last pregnancy in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. I don't know if the tea was responsible (there were many other factors), but I did have a much shorter, easier labor that time than I did with my first. I'm now almost 28 weeks with my 3rd pregnancy, and I'm thinking I'd like to start up again, maybe more regularly and in stronger concentrations toward the end.

Anyway, I read through the whole thread as well as several other websites, and I placed an order for some nettle, alfalfa, chamomile, spearmint, and lemon peel. I still have about half a bag left of RRL that I bought from Compleat Mother last pregnancy. That tea is rumored to have a better than average taste, and I have nothing to compare it with, but I didn't think it tasted bad at all.

I made some for myself today, just 1 (perhaps heaping) Tablespoon to a quart of water, with mint and chamomile added, and drank it throughout the day. I did notice that I perhaps felt a little lightheaded, shakey, maybe nauseaus after drinking it today, and I think I remember that from last time too. One other person mentioned something similar recently. Anyone else have this experience or know what it might indicate? It's only been one day, so perhaps too soon to know if the tea was what was causing it. I'll just have to pay attention the next few days and see if it continues.

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)
Old 08-11-2006, 01:11 AM

Helen, I have been getting heartburn from it lately, but not nausea.
I do only RRL with a raspberry tea added in for taste. I cant handle mint it makes me nauseous. Maybe that's the problem?

Hope you feel better!

Amy
Old 08-11-2006, 04:13 AM

I'll have to try without the mint and see if that makes a difference. Good suggestion. But I thought mint was supposed to help with nausea! It's funny the different effects these kinds of things have, depending on the individual.

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)
Old 08-11-2006, 04:13 PM

My friend is due in 4 weeks and I want to know if RRL can be helpful for her labor? She will be having a VBAC.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
Old 08-11-2006, 07:00 PM

I'm posting to sub too. I'm 23 weeks and I've been meaning to get a RRL routine started and now I've been inspired by you all.

Helen-I have some RRL tea left over that I ordered from Compleat Mother too, I love the stuff. Mine's at least 2 years old though, would you still drink it? I wish I'd put it in the freezer. I just feel like if it's moldy or something there's no way I'd be able to tell. Do you think your might be too old and that's why you felt funny after drinking it?

I got some Traditional Medicinals RRL tea and Pregnancy tea this week that I've started with. Gotta keep it up till December. I can't wait to drink it hot this fall!
Old 08-12-2006, 04:20 PM

I would NOT drink tea that old, even in the freezer. Just me. But I've seen moths and other icky insects lay their eggs in teas and tea bags and definately things age in the freezer as well, just more slowly. Best to go ahead and spend the $10 on a whole new supply, instead of take the risk.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 08-13-2006, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the advice, I will throw it away. I had a feeling it could go bad and I'm just gonna get more.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:26 PM

Well, there wasn't a whole lot left of my tea anyway, and a friend of mine conveniently gave me a good pound's worth left over from her (more recent) pregnancy.

I thought I'd share a new way I tried the tea--I have a shaved ice maker, so I froze some tea and make shaved ice out of it, then poured a little white grape cranberry juice concentrate on it. Really good.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethkm
Thanks for the advice, I will throw it away.
Oh pg brain strikes again... for a second I thought you were being all sarcastic and talking about throwing the ADVICE away instead of the old tea.

Back to your regularly scheduled boards now. :

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:32 AM

Question:

I have red rasberry bushes in my yard. Can I just use those leaves, or are the ones in tea version different?
TIA!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:48 AM

same thing. Check some of the earlier posts.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 08-18-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv
same thing. Check some of the earlier posts.
Earlier posts? This thread is 23 pages long! : Good to know it's the same though. Thx.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:50 AM

I had my baby on Wednesday, you be the judge of whether or not the RRL helped. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=503426

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
Old 08-18-2006, 12:01 PM

Congrats Meghan!
Old 08-19-2006, 06:35 AM

Anyone know of Canadian sources to buy RRL tea leaves? I found one website but the prices were just astronomical. :

Google is pretty useless at finding herb stores in Canada - or else I'm using the completely wrong key words...lol.

Any suggestions or recommendations? I'm a complete virgin at this RRL tea thing but after reading about it and having hemorrhaged after dd's birth I'd like to try it.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:00 PM

Holy Cow! This is a long thread!

I am very disappointed that my Whole Foods has stopped carrying loose RRL and Nettle :

Now, I don't know where to get it. I went to Compleat Mother but theirs is only RRL. I was hoping to find an online source of a mixture.
I bought some of the tea bags but prefer to steep a pot at a time and always have a pitcher in the fridge. I'd also like it to be more fresh than what is in the teabags.

So do you know of an online source that has a loose infusion of RRL, Nettle and maybe other herbs?

TIA,
Keri

PS I apologize if this is somewhere in the thread but I don't have time to read 23 pages of posts

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 08-21-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird25ca
Anyone know of Canadian sources to buy RRL tea leaves? I found one website but the prices were just astronomical. :
Compleat Mother if you are just looking for RRL
http://www.compleatmother.com/tea_company.htm

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 08-21-2006, 06:12 PM

I was gonna suggest Snowboard MOmmy but she's not making tea anymore. You could use her recipe and buy the herbs to make your own mixture.

Tags
Herb Pharm , New Mom Guide
User Tag List