Red Raspberry Leaf Tea tribe - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2007, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get heartburn after drinking my RRL tea,too, what a bummer. So, unfortunately, I only drink it every couple of days, because I hate the heartburn.

Any suggestions out there for adding something that might help? Maybe a little baking soda?

I'm 28 weeks today, so I know I need to get crackin' on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 12:15 AM

I'm subscribing here. I have yet to read the whole thread but will try to do so soon!

My husband and I are ttc for the first time so I'm thinking now would be a good time to find out where to buy the tea and get started drinking it regulary(from ovulation-AF or througout pregnancy right?)

I'm also interested in some of the safe-during-pregnancy heartburn remedies! I get hearburn with some frequency and I'm never sure what to do about it.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:24 AM

i love my RRl tea.. i mix mine with nettle tea... i like it with a lil brown sugar...iced down.....YUMMY

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
Old 01-19-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
when i drink it i start to get really bad heartburn.
Hmm, see now it works the opposite from me. I have acid reflux (have for years, but I don't like medication, esp. while preggo) and I have noticed if I drink my RRL tea regulary I don't have any heartburn or acid reflux feelings. If I go a couple of days without drinking it the acid reflux comes back strong.

I put all the same stuff you do except the rose hips, maybe that's it? One idea is to just go to stright RRL tea for a few days and see if you still get the heartburn. If not, then add one more herb to it for a few days and so one. Maybe it will help in identifying which one is causing the heartburn. Do you put any mint-type herbs in it (or anything that you have during the day)? I know that is a common culpript of heartburn during pregnancy.

Hope you find out what's causing the heartburn or it passes on its own.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 01-19-2007, 01:43 AM

LOL soon as i birth this baby it will pass!

i suspect it's the rose hips. anything acidic is killing me. both nettles and RRL contain calcium and magnesium and so help with heartburn. course not much helps when your stomach is smooshed flat as a pancake into your chest and lungs!

i am measuring 40.5 cm today at 37 weeks. and considering i am very short everything is pretty compacted!

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 01-22-2007, 12:14 PM

Does RRL cause an increase in Braxton Hicks?

When I was at my Bradley class last night, I was suprised that many women (farther along than I am) have never even had one (that they recognize). I believe I keep my self pretty hydrated, but I've been noticing them since ~12 wks...and feeling them since ~18 wks a couple times a day.
TIA!
Old 01-22-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhorzepa View Post
Does RRL cause an increase in Braxton Hicks?

When I was at my Bradley class last night, I was suprised that many women (farther along than I am) have never even had one (that they recognize). I believe I keep my self pretty hydrated, but I've been noticing them since ~12 wks...and feeling them since ~18 wks a couple times a day.
TIA!
Braxton hicks contractions are normal, but everyone feels them at different points, some never feel them.

I suggest reading through the first 10-20 pages of this thread, there is a wealth of information here.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:49 PM

I am so glad this thread is still here. I saw it a long time ago and forgot wether I saw it here or on Amity. Woooo hooo! I am definitely gonna try it. I think I am sensitive to RRL tea so I have a lot of hope in it for my birth this time. I already feel really tight when I drink it now. It's a good feeling. We'll see, I'm due April 30th.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:37 AM

I'm joining! I've been drinking RRL since 14weeks.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:34 AM

I followed the stronger version of the tea to the best of my knowledge for my first labor... i only discovered the info about the tea after I was 7 months pregnant and when i purchased the tea they just had 2 oz left in the store so i wanted one oz as a back up if i happened to experience false labor. now that i'm near the end of my 2nd pregnancy i went to purchase the tea again and had to get it from a different retailer. the tea i got this time was more finely chopped and the one oz bag of it was a very large amount compared to what i recall using the last time, it had fit into a small tea ball! so i wonder if the first time around they told me it was 2 ozs i bought but really it was a much smaller amount? so it seems this time because of the larger mass it appears to be it won't fit in a tea ball and i'll have to prepare it using the straining method. to give you an idea of what the amt looks like it is like half of a sandwhich ziploc baggie.
this is what i experienced the last time i used it... labor lasting 9 1/2 hrs from first contraction to delivery. 2 hours of hard labor, transition labor, was still very painful, my recovery was great... only asked for tylenol a couple of times and was up walking around and visitng with no problems. i did not finish the full pint of tea as it had cooled off by the time i was admitted to the hospital and tasted even worse to me cold than hot... maybe i drank 3/4 of it.
what i'm wondering is does it seem as though i had the incorrect amount last time, i don't want to make it too strong and as the quip says, have my baby in the car! it would be nice to experience less pain than what i had the last time because it didn't seem to help in that dept last time. it did aid in a fast progressing labor as i went from 1cm to 10 cm in less than 3 hours. when i called to ask my doula about this she recommended 1-2 tsp of the tea, i think she may not be familiar with this stronger solution for the extra benefits, which i plan to print out and share with her anyways. even she didn't believe that i was in progressive labor the last time even though i kept telling her, my husband and the nurse that i drank the tea and i knew i was in labor, granted not the transition stage yet where i'd be in obvious pain. at least this time around i'll know to trust my body and not let anyone convince me to go home and return as they did last time, we were gone from the hospital less than two hours and i delivered my daughter about an hour after being admitted the second time.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:34 PM

So where is everybody getting their bulk tea leaves these days? I've been checking at mountainroseherbs.com for a few days, but they don't seem to have it anymore.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilliepepper View Post
So where is everybody getting their bulk tea leaves these days? I've been checking at mountainroseherbs.com for a few days, but they don't seem to have it anymore.
i want to know to

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Old 01-30-2007, 11:12 AM

contact sarah at herbsfromthelabyrinth.com or redmoonherbs.com.

i got some from rose mountain this summer, but someone else said they though the quality of what she got this fall wasn't so hot.

lately i've been buying from sarah... she just did a custom birth tincture and a high blood pressure tincture for me. and said she could do a pregnancy tea mix (nettles, RRL, oatstraw, alfalfa and rose hips) or just the bulk herbs too.

PS sarah has the MOST AMAZING rose hips, they are the biggest, reddest, most beautiful dried rose hips i've ever seen! (sorry, herb geek typing!).

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 01-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Stony Mountain aka wildroots.com
Old 01-30-2007, 01:30 PM

I'm about halfway through reading this thread but I'm definitely in! I've been drinking the TM pregnancy tea since about week 14 or so and am about to start alternating it with the TM red raspberry leaf tea. I may also contact one of the suppliers mentioned in this thread to see if I can get the actual leaves so I can try the strong brew as labor is starting.

Count me in!
Old 02-01-2007, 03:27 AM

This is slightly off-topic for this thread but since it was mentioned here I thought I'd ask - Papaya enzyme was suggested for heartburn. A friend mentioned to me that she'd heard in pregnancy, especially early terms, papya should be avoided. I then came across it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortifacient listed as a possible abortifacient. So how safe would Papaya enzyme be during pregnancy?

I'm also eager to hear where the best sources are for RRL tea!! Right now I'm drinking tons of green tea, but after ovulation I'd love to be able to switch to RRL! My main desires would be a balance of quality and affordability.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:25 AM

there is a papaya thread on here discussing just that...

seems papaya is perfectly safe, but because the fda cant market it as a drug...yet...it isnt approved for its safety in pregnancy.

best to consult naturopaths/herbalists on this one for more info.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 02-01-2007, 06:54 AM

Ooooh thanks!! you wouldn't happen to have the link to the thread discussing it would you? I'll try to find it myself but lately it seems like my searches here come up with a bazillion interesting but minimally related threads and either the search-function or my brain time-out before I find the one I'm looking for
Old 02-01-2007, 07:14 AM

i searched papaya enzymes, I think.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:37 AM

i've been eating tons of papaya this winter...

you know, you really have to take things in their cultural context too... do you think women who live in tropical countries stop eating it because they are pregnant?

only americans have this never ending list of things to avoid while pregnant. no wine (can you imagine in europe telling a woman this?), no spicy foods (think they don't eat spicy foods in hot places like india when they are pregnant?), no papaya, no kava... etc...

it's pretty much like leidloff talks about in the continuum concept... we have the most over-protected children in the world and still they get hurt all the time. why is that? we have the prohabitions on what a woman should and should't consume while pregnant and yet still force huge amounts of invasive prenatal testing and procedures and completely managed and interventive births on woman... resulting in the worst maternal and infant mortality figures in the developed world.

why is that? what a twisted culture we live in.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:22 PM

Old 02-01-2007, 12:29 PM

I got mine at: http://www.bulkherbstore.com. It is a great blend. It taste wonderful. Although it has pepermint in it which during this pregnancy has caused heartburn/reflux- no problems with this tea.

hope that helps.
Zora
Old 02-06-2007, 10:48 AM

I would like to try RRL tea during my pregnancy, however I have read that this may have a negative effect on my toddler while nursing. I am sorry if this has already been answered in this thread but I just don't have time to read through everything (I work full time). Thanks for your help!!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:16 PM

Hi All! I just wanted to add my experience with RRL tea. Last week I miscarried (developemented stopped at 8w4d, m/c at 10w6d) and I had been drinking the RRL tea and/or a pg blend since before I concieved (in no way did the tea cause the m/c.) When the m/c started I made a big pitcher of strong brewed tea and drank it throughout the the next few days and I have continued drinking just my regular RRL and pg tea everyday since. Not only did I pass everything naturally (no D&C, thank goodness), my bleeding has almost completely stopped now, only a week later. The ob said I should expect to bleed for 4-6 weeks! I really think I had such a good outcome (given the circumstances, as good as it can be) because of the RRL tea. Of course, I have nothing to back that up, just my feelings.

I plan to TTC again after I have a normal cycle so I'm still drinking my tea everyday. This has just convinced me that it can be very helpful in toning the uterus and preparing for birth. I bought some of the Traditional Medicines Organic Pregnancy Tea to keep at work so I drink it during the day. It makes it really quick and convenient, and the mint in it is so tasty that I don't need to put any sweetner in it! I normally have to sweeten the plain RRL with honey.

Just my thoughts for ya'll. Hope everyone is enjoying their yummy tea!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 02-08-2007, 12:35 AM

Ok subbing.. I just ordered some Traditional Medicinals Pregnancy Tea online to start with (hey it was on sale ). I can't wait to try it, although I noticed it didn't say anything about the first trimester (I'm still at about two months). Is the raspberry leaf a lot weaker in the TM tea? I'm also nursing a toddler--so curious to know if there is anything to the pp's concern about that.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:00 PM

well, don't know if the RRL/pregnancy tea combination made the diff or not, but after my water broke my labor was so short no one even made it to the birth... about 40 very intense minutes!

still drinking it!

Old 02-10-2007, 06:26 PM

Wow, I'm amazed. I was the original poster of the info from my bookshelf. Shared it with my March 2006 DDC and BirthJunky started this tribe. Now I'm expecting again in October 2007 and this is still here!! Just read back 2 or 3 pages but I see some success stories. I'm so happy this information has helped others!!:

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

Old 02-10-2007, 11:47 PM

I'm jumping in on this thread as it's finally close to the surface again!
I'm drinking the tea to help tone down the BH- I get them quite frequently and they can be annoying. My midwife suggested drinking the tea, as it can take over the job the BH are doing. I don't drink it every day- so far I haven't found a huge corelation, but I think the tea makes me have more. I had a quick labour last time- 3 hrs 45 min, 8 min of pushing, so I don't likely need help with that again, but you never know! I do plan to keep drinking it, though, to help with post partum, last time I lost a lot of blood and was quite weak.
I wish I had known I could harvest my own leaves earlier- as I have tons and tons of raspberry canes! Too bad they're under 3 feet of snow now!
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
Old 02-11-2007, 01:26 AM

don't know if it's the RRL leaf or not, but my lochia flow has already stopped. i still have blood, but the heavy flow is over already. i am 4 days PP.

i'm guessing it's the RRL and alfalfa combination.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:52 PM

I just found this thread. I have rrlt in my prenatal. should i take more? i am taking rainbowlite prenatals

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Tags
Herb Pharm , New Mom Guide
User Tag List