Red Raspberry Leaf Tea tribe - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#661 of 2269 Old 03-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read/scanned through quite a bit of this thread and am pretty jazzed about the RRL! But there seems to be some controversy about the first trimester-- some seem to reccommend drinking the tea straight through pregnancy, and some seem to reccommend waiting till getting past the first tri.

Any definitive answers or experiences out there?

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#662 of 2269 Old 03-09-2007, 06:09 PM

Just bought some RRL Tea! I'm just starting my 3rd trimester now - beginning of my 27th week.

My first labor was very long (31 hours), and quite intensely painful. I'd like to help ease that this time, in as many ways as possible!

The tea recommends taking 3x per day - however on briefly reading through the intro story, it seems that's recommended closer to due date. I certainly don't want to encourage pre-term labor.

What's everyone in their 3rd triemester doing as far as "doseage", i.e. cups per day?

Thanks & I apologize if the answer is already in here somwhere - I just don't have the opportunity to look through the entire thread!

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#663 of 2269 Old 03-09-2007, 06:51 PM

I see some other mamas have asked recently about a run down for how much, how concentrated, when and what kinds of RRL tea to drink. Anyone wanna give it a shot? Where do you buy your favorite RRL tea? The only kind at Whole Foods is the bags which I bought, but like a pp said, it's expensive!

TIA,
January
#664 of 2269 Old 03-09-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
I've read/scanned through quite a bit of this thread and am pretty jazzed about the RRL! But there seems to be some controversy about the first trimester-- some seem to reccommend drinking the tea straight through pregnancy, and some seem to reccommend waiting till getting past the first tri.

Any definitive answers or experiences out there?
I drank one cup a day all through my first trimester. I found it very helpful when I was a little queasy. A lot of midwives recommend drinking it all through pregnancy. My sister works at an OB's office and gave me a packet of info that said that RRL has been used for centuries and there is really no research that shows it to be harmful to pregnancy at any time during pregnancy. That said, I was only drinking a cup a day during the first tri and I'll increase the amount as I progress.
#665 of 2269 Old 03-09-2007, 08:20 PM

I have seen many people rec 1 cup for the first tri, 2 for the second and 3 for the third. I drink more than that. I have been getting several cups of traditional medicinals pg tea and several cups of rrlt. It won't encourage preterm labor. There was one study that showed it discouraged pre and post term birth. I get it in bulk at my hfs or buy it through unfi.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#666 of 2269 Old 03-09-2007, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the info guys!! Guess I'll order mine now! Consider me in the tribe...

#667 of 2269 Old 03-10-2007, 09:29 PM

OK, I KNOW I should probably go back and find this information myself, but this thread is a gazillion pages long!!

So, what's the best on-line source for The Stuff? Where should I get my RRL, and how much should I get? Do you all reccommend a blend or a pure single-ingredient tea?

I'm at like 5 weeks right now, so I've got a LONG time to be drinking it-- I probably need a lot! :LOL

#668 of 2269 Old 03-10-2007, 11:16 PM

WeasleyMum- I bought loose leaf from Frontier and have so far really liked it. I bought 2lbs of RRL and 1lb of nettles and this stuff will last a long time, way past the rest of my pg (10.5 weeks to go!!!) I use about 3 TBLS a day but in the beginning you owuld use much less.

I tried to tea bags and they are more expensive, good for the convenience factor so I still keep a few on hand if I know I will be out and about all day but the loose leaf stuff is tasty and economical.

I store my big lb bags of tea in the fridge and keep a tupperware container of it on the counter for easy mixing. I added 2 cups of RRL and 1 cup of nettle mixed it really well. That way clumsy me doesn't have to worry about spilling a lb of tea all over the place, and the rest of the stash stays nice and fresh.

I have been trying to space out my 3 cups a day but mostly just like to make one big old cup of ice tea while dd is napping and enjoy it that way, does anyone know if there is a reason to space it out during the day?

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#669 of 2269 Old 03-11-2007, 03:01 AM

Just wanted to subscribe to this! Great thread!
#670 of 2269 Old 03-11-2007, 01:24 PM

Frontier Herbs: 1 lb of RRL, certified organic, costs $20.80
Mountain Rose: 1 lb of RRL, certified organic, costs $7.75

Am I missing something? Why would the same product vary so much? I'm on a strict budget, so unless anyone has something bad to say about Mountain Rose Herbs I'm going with that one-- it's 1/3 the cost!

Also, am I getting the nettle LEAF or POWDER? I'm assuming leaf since it's going into tea...

#671 of 2269 Old 03-11-2007, 01:36 PM

I'll join! I drank this throughout both of my first 2 pregnancies, but I admit was a little lax with it during my second. I don't really know what connection there is to length of labor, but my second was twice as long (12 hrs) as first (6 hrs). But I healed very quickly afterwards with both and stopped bleeding within 2 weeks with both, as well.

I am in my 9th week now and am drinking it everyday and will increase as the pregnancy progresses.

As per my first midwives' suggestion, I put 2 parts rrl to 1 part other herbs (in my case, I like to use alfalfa, nettle, oatstraw and rosehips for added vit's). I put about 2 Tbs rrl and 1 Tbs other herbs into a litre jar and let them steep overnight. In the morning, I strain the tea and then put it in the fridge (I like it cold). Then I'm set for a few days.
#672 of 2269 Old 03-11-2007, 02:00 PM

Ramona_Quimby, I have nothing to add except that I LOVE your username! I used to love reading those books and totally identified with good ol' Ramona. She's great.

#673 of 2269 Old 03-11-2007, 02:25 PM

I'm joining. I just got my this weekend. I've been drinking rrl tea once a day each month after I ovulated. I got it from www.thecompleatmother.com and I really like it. Sometimes I add a touch of honey but mostly I drink it plain hot or cold.

I do plan to do the infusion at labor but I've got a while for that so now I think I'll do the 1 cup a day for 1st tri, 2 cup for 2nd tri and 3 cup for 3rd tri plan.

Tara

Tara - Mother to Curtis 12/04 and Clark 11/07
#674 of 2269 Old 03-12-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Frontier Herbs: 1 lb of RRL, certified organic, costs $20.80
Mountain Rose: 1 lb of RRL, certified organic, costs $7.75

Am I missing something? Why would the same product vary so much? I'm on a strict budget, so unless anyone has something bad to say about Mountain Rose Herbs I'm going with that one-- it's 1/3 the cost!

Also, am I getting the nettle LEAF or POWDER? I'm assuming leaf since it's going into tea...
Hmm that is a big price difference. I have heard great things about mountain rose herbs. I bought my frontier stuff through a co-op along with a bunch of other stuff i needed so i saved on shipping, the coop price for Organic RRL is $10.40 so not that big of a difference when you are buying other things.

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#675 of 2269 Old 03-12-2007, 10:49 AM

i got mine from rose mountain and from herbsfromthelabyrinth.com
(i like buying from little women run businesses like HFTL)

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#676 of 2269 Old 03-12-2007, 01:29 PM

with my last preg i drank rrl tea every day from the beginning, but by the last tri was getting tired of it so didn't drink it so much. and i didn't know about the strong labor infusion. my labor was pretty long (began at night, slowed down the following morning, picked up the next evening, ds was born at 11am the following day. around 36 hours total.) but my bleeding stopped by 2w pp. so i guess it did help some.

this time i want to be sure and drink it during those last few months, the most crucial time. i drank it some during the first tri, but only when i felt like it. now that i'm in the 2nd tri, i'm trying to drink it every day. i was only trying to drink a cup a day. but i see several mamas recommending 2 cups in the 2nd tri and 3 in the 3rd so i guess i'll try for that.

: here's hoping for a quick labor :

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#677 of 2269 Old 03-12-2007, 02:12 PM

How do people here prepare their tea? (so sorry, this is probably somewhere in here but there's no way I can find it quickly). I have been making an infusion (steeping leaves in hot water for 6+hours, then straining and drinking cold, as it seems like it would be more effective. But are the recommended 3 cups a day just of a tea made by quickly infusing the leaves in boiling water and drunk straight away?
#678 of 2269 Old 03-12-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatee View Post
How do people here prepare their tea? (so sorry, this is probably somewhere in here but there's no way I can find it quickly). I have been making an infusion (steeping leaves in hot water for 6+hours, then straining and drinking cold, as it seems like it would be more effective. But are the recommended 3 cups a day just of a tea made by quickly infusing the leaves in boiling water and drunk straight away?

i would only steep for 1/2 an hour to 2 hours. no more.

and you can use the "search thread" feature. just search for "steep."

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#679 of 2269 Old 03-12-2007, 02:34 PM

The first post has a few ideas on how to prepare the tea and gives a long quote from Rodale's Encyclopedia. There is also a reference to Susun Weed's Wise Woman's Herbal for the Childbearing Year a bit further on. Another book referenced is The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm. I have tried reading through the pages of this thread and I always give out before I finish.

I love hearing the other women's stories but if people are looking for answers and having trouble getting them these books might help.

For those of you wondering how much to buy rrl also has benefits after baby is here (reduces pp bleeding and more even beyond the pp period that I read earlier in the thread) so if you have extra you can keep drinking it.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#680 of 2269 Old 03-12-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
For those of you wondering how much to buy rrl also has benefits after baby is here (reduces pp bleeding and more even beyond the pp period that I read earlier in the thread) so if you have extra you can keep drinking it.

drink it until your lochia stops. after that it can actually suppress your milk supply. short term it can increase supply, long term it can reduce it.

#681 of 2269 Old 03-12-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
drink it until your lochia stops. after that it can actually suppress your milk supply. short term it can increase supply, long term it can reduce it.
Thank you. I read that last night in The Nursing Mother's Herbal and then promptly forgot that detail today. I am pregnant and nursing and haven't started rrl tea yet because of this. I am thinking that I probably shouldn't because of the longterm effects. Ideas?

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#682 of 2269 Old 03-12-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Thank you. I read that last night in The Nursing Mother's Herbal and then promptly forgot that detail today. I am pregnant and nursing and haven't started rrl tea yet because of this. I am thinking that I probably shouldn't because of the longterm effects. Ideas?
i'm guessing that the progesterone your placenta is making is supressing prolactin production way more than RRL tea would. i might just drink it for the last trimester if i was nursing though. maybe pair it with some galactologues, like nettles, fennel, caraway, etc....

#683 of 2269 Old 03-12-2007, 05:22 PM

I drink an organic tea with 350mg raspberry leaf, 350mg strawberry leaf, 175mg nettle, and add a tiny bit of spearmint, bitter fennel fruit, rose hip, alfalfa and lemon verbena(in each teabag)....it's super delicious!

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

#684 of 2269 Old 03-13-2007, 03:28 PM

I finally got some RRL though I'm irritated it doesn't say exactly how much it contains. Right now I'm drinking my first cup, though my cycle is confusing me and I'm not sure if I've ovulated yet or not. The look isn't great (hmm moldy brown...yum!) but the flavor seems reasonable. I have a huge mug of it to which I added 1 heaping teaspoon of sugar.
#685 of 2269 Old 03-22-2007, 12:17 PM

: I am 9 months pregnant today!! whoo hoo 36weeks
going to buy my first batch of RRL tea today, going to try to drink 1 QT a day from now till labor, this is my first time drinking it, never did w/ other two babies, curious to see if there will be a diff post pardom
cant hurt right?!

~Susan
widowed from Marc Nov. '09(love you more babe) mom to Sophia (9) Emma (8) Lily (5) :

#686 of 2269 Old 03-22-2007, 12:24 PM

And it looks like (what I imagine) to be huge bags of weed. If you've ever seen Half-Baked or Harold and Kumaar Go to WhiteCastle... this tea looks exactly like the enormous bags'o'pot that feature prominently in those movies!

My DP looks at it, says, 'Umm honey, what are you doing with all that?"

Me: Starting a home-based business so I can be home with the baby! Do we have a scale?

Seriously, I'm thrilled to finally have it, I'm going to buy a teapot this afternoon.

#687 of 2269 Old 03-22-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
And it looks like (what I imagine) to be huge bags of weed.
Ha Ha, that's what I thought too! My boyfriend opened the box and was just looking at me like "are you serious?!" We call it my weed tea!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#688 of 2269 Old 03-22-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
And it looks like (what I imagine) to be huge bags of weed. If you've ever seen Half-Baked or Harold and Kumaar Go to WhiteCastle... this tea looks exactly like the enormous bags'o'pot that feature prominently in those movies!

That's what I thought when I bought my first bag! So funny, I had to pick up a huge load of paintings from a gallery, so I had to put my ds car seat in the front- which I knew was fine because my airbag turns off and he's over 2 and forward facing- but I know you don't see it too often. I thought, 'great, I'm going to get pulled over and it looks like I ripped off a gallery, I have my son in the front and what looks like a huge bag of weed at his feet!
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#689 of 2269 Old 03-22-2007, 04:32 PM

Glad to know we weren't the only ones! I actually took a picture and texted it to my little sister, whom I thought could appreciate it...

#690 of 2269 Old 03-22-2007, 04:37 PM

I realized my brand (Traditional Medicines) actually does say how much there is! 1,500 mg per "cup" (I assume teabag). I also realized that even though I have a huge sweet tooth, the flavor is much more mild just plain, and I prefer it that way!

Tags
Herb Pharm , New Mom Guide

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page