Red Raspberry Leaf Tea tribe - Page 25 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2007, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam View Post
I posted during my pregnancy, way back at post #41, and thought I'd come again to say how it went. In a word: fast!

My birth story is here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=491820

I drank a cup of RRL tea (of various brands/mixes) each day in the second trimester, and gradually worked up to three cups a day by the end. I went into active labor at about 1:30am. We rushed to the hospital, I went into transition walking across the street to the hospital with my midwife, and baby starting descending as I was walking down the hall to my room. I climbed up on the birthing table, squatted for two big pushes (which required no conscious pushing--I just breathed and tried to relax), and Hanae was born at 2:30am. Quick, efficient, and so much easier and less painful than my first birth without the tea. I pushed for an hour with Megumi, and never pushed even once with Hanae. I guess there's no way to say whether it is coincidence, but I'd like to the think the tea helped.

I prepared the labor tea to take to the hospital, but as you can imagine, there was no time to drink it!

Good luck everyone, and happy birthing!
it's nice to hear from someone who's been drinking. i hope my labor goes that fast, my last one was 18 hours (or 36 depending on when you start counting ).

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2007, 04:54 PM

Joining the tribe too! I have been drinking TM bags and Yogi bags. I just got an order from Mountain Rose Herbs and its very yummy! I am still learning the right blends as I ordered RRL, Nettles and Spearmint and its taking some practice but I must say I love this stuff! I am currently 30.3 weeks with baby #3. My first labor was 2+ days of pitocin with a posterior baby who was born after 2+ hours of pushing. My 2nd labor was approx. 8 hours with 10 min. of pushing. I drank the tea on and off with #2. Prior to this bulk shipment, I had been drinking the bags this time around for a couple of months. I hope to see a difference with this labor.

This thread is chocked full of great info. It took me a few days but I did get through it all! :
Old 04-25-2007, 10:33 PM

can anyone tell me about using RRL for menstrual cramps? i think i remember reading somewhere that it is good for that. is this true? does anyone have experience? i have friends who get really bad cramps and i would love to be able to help them out.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:46 AM

RRLT is a uterine toner. That means that it makes the uterus stronger so it has to strain less to contract, thereby reducing pain. It should take less contractions, and the contractions that do occur should require less effort of the muscles. Muscles that work less don't consume all their oxygen, so they don't have to use the non-oxygen method of respiration that causes the crampy sensation in muscles.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbmama3-7 View Post
I would never microwave my herbs, "Mic-ro-waves" desroy vital nutrients, I know there are numerous studies out there that prove this, I do not have the time to search and include those right now, however they are easily found if anyone is interested. There was a study done with watering plants, water brought to a boil and then brought to room temp, (tap water), then regular tap water brought to room temp, then tap water mirowaved to boiling point and then cooled to room temp, these each watered the same type of plant over a period of time, the plant that was watered with the microwaved water eventually died, the others did just fine. I do not know all the factors in the study, however it could be found. I am not trying to start a flame, truely that is not my intention, I just feel strongly about the use of microwaves, especially when it comes to my beautiful herbs!
Found the study! It's weird, somehow with plant growth the boiled microwaved water did not do well with the plants. Not sure if or how this applies to herbs and stuff (I've been warming the water up for 3 minutes in the microwave by itself, and then putting the tea ball in the water and covering it with tinfoil). I may switch to the stove top after reading this. Too weird!
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/13743

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
Old 04-26-2007, 10:22 AM

Tammy,

Get a nice kettle with a whistle! I love the beautiful sound. I don't rush to turn it off when it whistles. I whistle along.

There is something very zen-ful about a whistling kettle.

There are also many very beautiful kettles available on the market.

I love the whole ritual of tea making! I just ordered 2 teapots so I can brew more than one cup at a time. I ordered 2 instead of one because I couldn't decide, and it wasn't all that much money. I figured I would try them out and see which one I like best, or alternate them.

(We have smileys for coffee and champagne.....we need one for RRLT!)

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:45 AM

Hi Lady L!

Ha ha, you jogged my memory, I actually got a tea kettle from my friend for Christmas. Thanks for reminding me!

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
Old 04-26-2007, 10:55 AM

Ay yi yi!

Okay. I had read this a few months ago and got some rrl from the bulkherbstore. They are very inexpensive, but they did throw in a good amount of stems as well...BUT as I said, they were really cheap too! This is the nutshell:

My first baby:

I don't want to go the hospital unless absolutely necessary:

I have been using about 1 TBSP of rrl to 6 oz water during the beginning of my 3d trimester. I let it steep covered for 10 to 15 minutes

I have wild black raspberry bushes (and cultivated red raspberries) growing, and I will use the wild leaves when they leaf out this summer as well as the RRL. I read the wild ones have the same properties so we'll see what happens!

I'm due on August 2nd, so I'll let you all know what happens!

I'll be lurking....

Old 04-26-2007, 12:10 PM

Sorry ladies, but i haven't read all the posts - there are so many, & i'm a little anxious for info. I just found out i'm pg & dd is only 9.5mo, so i'm worried about losing my milk supply. Someone suggested RRLT as a milk booster... does anyone know if it's true? I have no idea how far along i am (didn't even know i was fertile! DD has hardly any solids & BF's all day & night!) so i don't even know if it's safe to drink it yet. Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks, Trish
Old 05-02-2007, 01:38 PM

How much tea do you guys drink in a day? I bought bulk leaves and steeped about 32 oz worth and drank about 6 oz last night. Not as bad as traditional chinese medicine for sure! I love tea so I considered just mixing it with some green tea or something but I wasn't sure if I needed to limit the amount I drink.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:22 PM

I drank massive raspberry leaf tea with my last pregnancy from 7 months until delievery, and I'm wondering if you all think this contributed to what happened to me:

After transition, my baby was delivered in about 3 or 4 contractions, and they were so strong that I didn't feel like I was pushing at all, more like she was shooting out of me on her own! That would have been awesome, except it was so fast and powerful that I tore badly and was in horrible pain...

Next time I'm probably going to have an epidural or pudendal block because I'm just too afraid of that much pain again, but since those 2 things can make it "harder to push the baby out/stalled labor" I'm thinking more raspberry tea again (because apparently it works almost too well on me) could really counteract those effects...

What do you think?

Also, if my expereince is actually truly from the tea, I'd just like the caution everyone drinking the tea to me mindful to get into a position to help minimize tearing at delievery time...

Thanks and good luck!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softheart View Post
I drank massive raspberry leaf tea with my last pregnancy from 7 months until delievery, and I'm wondering if you all think this contributed to what happened to me:

After transition, my baby was delivered in about 3 or 4 contractions, and they were so strong that I didn't feel like I was pushing at all, more like she was shooting out of me on her own! That would have been awesome, except it was so fast and powerful that I tore badly and was in horrible pain...

Next time I'm probably going to have an epidural or pudendal block because I'm just too afraid of that much pain again, but since those 2 things can make it "harder to push the baby out/stalled labor" I'm thinking more raspberry tea again (because apparently it works almost too well on me) could really counteract those effects...

What do you think?

Also, if my expereince is actually truly from the tea, I'd just like the caution everyone drinking the tea to me mindful to get into a position to help minimize tearing at delievery time...

Thanks and good luck!
Hi Softheart, can I ask what position you were in when you gave birth? Were you laying down on your back? This is sometimes linked with bad tearing. Also, did you or anyone else put counterpressure on your perineum while the babe was crowning? This can be vital in limiting the amount of tearing.

It sounds to me that the RRL did a good job of giving you one super strong uterus! But for your next birth, you might want to read up on the different birthing positions (squatting, standing, hands and knees, etc.) and their effects on tearing, and also look into supporting your perineum during crowning. Another great option to consider: waterbirth! Many women have great success with minimal tearing when they birth under water. Evidently, the water provides needed counterpressure to the perineum, and also softens tissue and relaxes muscle!

I hope your next birth goes wonderfully!

Sprat , Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig , the most open-minded, loving, gentle man in the world, little Sprout and now someone new! on begins with .
Old 05-03-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softheart View Post

What do you think?

Thanks and good luck!
Don't know about the RRL tea, but just want to give you guys and looks like you will research everything you need to know to help w/your next birth!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
How much tea do you guys drink in a day? I bought bulk leaves and steeped about 32 oz worth and drank about 6 oz last night. Not as bad as traditional chinese medicine for sure! I love tea so I considered just mixing it with some green tea or something but I wasn't sure if I needed to limit the amount I drink.

I make a Quart before I go to bed and then put it in the fridge. In the morning, I make a fresh cup of hot tea but then I drink the cold all day long. I think I am preferring the taste of small batches as opposed to the Quarts. I dont think I quite have the right mix down yet.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:01 PM

I may have to scale down the dosage of my RRL, I had started taking 2 cups a day (I TBSP to 6 or 8 oz water), and when I went in for my routine exam (at 27 weeks pg), they found I was dilating already. I may just go back to one cup every other day, and see what happens. They have me on nifedipine to calm down my uterus...I'll stay off it until my next appt in a week and ask the doc (for what THAT is worth) what they think about it. He's not a ND so may not know anything about herbal remedies.

Although I think that STRESS could have caused the preterm labor as well.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:34 PM

can anyone tell me how much an ounce is? I am getting close to my EDD and wanted to set aside my ounce of tea for the labor infusion, I don't have a scale so a measure would be helpful, 1 cup, 1/2 cup?

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
Old 05-06-2007, 01:49 AM

When I mentioned drinking this to my midwife, she thought it was too early, and that I should wait til I was closer to the end (i'm still in my second trimester. Although, I'm actually drinking Traditional Medicinals Pregnancy tea, and not just the raspberry leaf tea. So I'm not sure- right now I just have one a day or so, iced.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:19 AM

I have had two pleasant pregnancies and natural births. I didn't read too much about RRL tea, just enough to make sure it was safe. I got into the habit of making a pot of boiling water, filling a small thermos with a bag of RRL tea, and taking it to bed with me. I would usually let it sit on the bedside table while I got ready, checked email, etc. If my husband and I were going to watch a movie, I would sip it in bed while relaxing. It was just my way of relaxing - and I did that most night throughout each pregnancy. The thermos allowed it to steep for a long time - and the second pregnancy I made sure not to boil the water too much (if too hot it can take away some of the potency). I had natural labors that went fairly quickly both times (12 hours for the first, 6 hours for the second). I wouldn't say they were painless - each was really trying for me. However, I made it - and I had great pregnancies (very little morning sickness...no vomiting, energy, etc.) I would recommend it - it tastes great too!

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
Old 05-07-2007, 04:53 AM

I'm joining in! I'm 30 weeks right now and hope to order my RRL in the morning. It's sooo late right now and I'm too tired to go out to the car and get my ATM out of my purse to order it!

belly.gifMandy Mom to Hayden (9),  Ellie (7),  Jordyn (4),  Evan (10/07/09 - 01/11/12),  

and our rainbow1284.gif baby due January 29th!  

homebirth.jpg   waterbirth.jpg   redbluerib.gif   novaxnocirc.gif

candleflicker2.gif www.facebook.com/healingevan                

Old 05-07-2007, 03:31 PM

hey all!

i'm sure this has been answered somewhere in here already, but it's a very long thread to weed through!

i'm 12w as of tomorrow, and wanted to ask when it would be "too early" to drink rrl tea. i was a religious rrl tea before i got pregnant (after a few wacky cycles due to a kidney infection -- weird, i know), and got knocked up our first month TTC, so i'm a big believer. anyway i really miss the rrl tea now since i was drinking 2 cups a day before, but i had heard it wasn't so great in the first tri so i held off.

is it okay to drink in the second? or am i supposed to wait til the third? what about a "mother-to-be" tea that has nettle, peppermint, rrl, etc?

thanks, ladies!!

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaMom View Post
can anyone tell me how much an ounce is? I am getting close to my EDD and wanted to set aside my ounce of tea for the labor infusion, I don't have a scale so a measure would be helpful, 1 cup, 1/2 cup?
I measured it as a handful. So I guess 1/2 cupish.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 05-07-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robina_josephine View Post
is it okay to drink in the second? or am i supposed to wait til the third? what about a "mother-to-be" tea that has nettle, peppermint, rrl, etc?
Personally I would drink it every day of my pg but if you're worried about recurrent m/c and want to wait starting in the second tri is fine too. Same with pg teas.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 05-07-2007, 03:49 PM

I'm not pregnant yet, but I'm trying to prepare my body... So I'm starting with 1 cup a day.

Hope it goes well!

Life loving Mama, married to DH, Mama to DS1 , DS2 , missing our , and another boy born June!
Old 05-07-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinangels04 View Post
Personally I would drink it every day of my pg but if you're worried about recurrent m/c and want to wait starting in the second tri is fine too. Same with pg teas.
thanks!

this is my first pregnancy, and we have heard the heartbeat twice now so i'm feeling pretty comfortable. there are just some scary stories early on in this thread about drinking rrl and bleeding etc.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

Old 05-09-2007, 09:53 PM

You might want to wait a while until you drink it on a regular basis, especially if you have any sort of pregnancy issues, like threatened miscarriage. I'm going to wait till my next appt (friday) and ask the doc about it, since i started having contractions in week 27. This could have been because of stress and me being dehydrated as well, though. As long as it doesn't make me have contractions, I'm going to keep taking it. I'd definitely take it in the third trimester though.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:35 AM

I ordered my RRL from mountainroseherbs.com and they arrived within TWO days! My midwives told me I should be drinking about a quart of it each day, so my first batch is brewing right now. I'm a little uncertain about how much to put in, but I guess it will just take a little practice...

belly.gifMandy Mom to Hayden (9),  Ellie (7),  Jordyn (4),  Evan (10/07/09 - 01/11/12),  

and our rainbow1284.gif baby due January 29th!  

homebirth.jpg   waterbirth.jpg   redbluerib.gif   novaxnocirc.gif

candleflicker2.gif www.facebook.com/healingevan                

Old 05-13-2007, 03:39 AM

So I am not pregnant but I've been drinking RRL tea for less than 2 years, but have recently felt my kegels *all the way at the TOP of my uterus*! It is absolutely amazing!!! Wow.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:54 AM

I'm joining up! I ordered my RRL and Nettle leaf a couple of days ago from mountain rose herbs after reading this thread. I'm at 17 weeks, but better late than never. I'm going to start with one cup of RRL a day and then add the nettle, and then work on increasing the amount. I can't wait to start!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 05-13-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyB View Post
I ordered my RRL from mountainroseherbs.com and they arrived within TWO days! My midwives told me I should be drinking about a quart of it each day, so my first batch is brewing right now. I'm a little uncertain about how much to put in, but I guess it will just take a little practice...
I drink about a quart sometimes more or less. But when I make up a batch I use about 6 tablespoons to a quart, then I let it sit for a while usually I make it in the morning and start drinking it around 3 or so. It ends up being not too strong but strong enough. We shall see if it does anything anytime now!

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
Old 05-16-2007, 06:55 PM
RAF

Hello,

I haven't posted more than a couple times in this thread, but I wanted to share how my birth went. I drank the rrl tea starting around 20 weeks, about 2 cups to a quart a day until I birthed. I also added nettles, alfalfa leaf, rosehips and some spearmint. I let it brew for a long time. Anyway, my first two births were very long and drawn out. You can read the birth story for my second child from the link in my sig. I really feel that drinking the tea helped tremendously. My contractions were very bearable up until right before I began to push. My labor was under 3 hours. Anyway, here is a link to my birth story:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=675570

Tags
Herb Pharm , New Mom Guide
User Tag List