Red Raspberry Leaf Tea tribe - Page 27 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#781 of 2269 Old 06-03-2007, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is truly amazing, and I am so sorry for your loss.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#782 of 2269 Old 06-03-2007, 11:29 PM

I am so sorry for your loss chopstickgirl.

I am new to this thread! I am almost 27 weeks along now.... is it too late for me to start now? Will I get the benefits as well?

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#783 of 2269 Old 06-05-2007, 12:42 AM

thanks banana. i was honestly begging for a csection b/c i seriously couldn't imagine going thru a labor like i had with DD#1 yet knowing there'd be no hearing my baby cry at the end of it...and honestly, the labor was sooo much more peaceful and "flowy" and my dream labor, other than the outcome obviously, but i am thankful i had the labor i did, that catti gave me that, as it healed so many of my wounds from my labor with mairi (dd#1)

and rachel, thanks you as well, and YES YES YES!!! i didn't take RRL until my 3rd trimester routinely, so i totally and completely believe it'll be worth it-get some now!

JEN, Hoopdancin' mama to Mairi Elizabeth 12/04, Catriana Quinn stillborn 41w 1/07 and our rainbow Elijah Asher 3/09, wife to Keith for 9 years.
#784 of 2269 Old 06-06-2007, 01:04 PM

I have just been told by an herbalist friend that there is some danger from RRLT. He says that it could cause you to lose scar tissue. This sounds good, but many people have scar tissue in the back of their eyes that they don't know about, and could lose their sight. Also, you could lose any callouses, and have sensitive skin on your hands and feet. Another thing is that after your first birth, it could cause you to lose any scars in the uterus.

This is a guy I trust a lot. I am thinking that it is not worth the risk. I did some research, and it seems to be universally agreed that there hasn't been much research on it. So, I am going to stop taking it.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#785 of 2269 Old 06-06-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
I have just been told by an herbalist friend that there is some danger from RRLT. He says that it could cause you to lose scar tissue. This sounds good, but many people have scar tissue in the back of their eyes that they don't know about, and could lose their sight. Also, you could lose any callouses, and have sensitive skin on your hands and feet. Another thing is that after your first birth, it could cause you to lose any scars in the uterus.

This is a guy I trust a lot. I am thinking that it is not worth the risk. I did some research, and it seems to be universally agreed that there hasn't been much research on it. So, I am going to stop taking it.
could an eye doctor tell someone if they have scar tissue in the back of there eyes? and could it help get rid of keloid scars? my partner has keloid scars on his back and is very embarrassed by them tot he point whee he doesn't like swimming in public. if the tea could help his scars to go away he would be very happy and he is seeing an eye doctor soon for a regular checkup.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#786 of 2269 Old 06-06-2007, 04:37 PM

Moonfroggy, my herbalist friend says Ecinachea has the same property, but could be more effective.

My friend himself had a problem when he took some echinacea and started to have issues with his vision. He feels really strongly about everyone staying away from RRLT and echinacea.

Other than my friend, I can't find any sources that say that either of these herbs does anything with scar tissue. He says he doesn't expect all of you to believe him, but he is certain it is true.

#787 of 2269 Old 06-06-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Moonfroggy, my herbalist friend says Ecinachea has the same property, but could be more effective.

My friend himself had a problem when he took some echinacea and started to have issues with his vision. He feels really strongly about everyone staying away from RRLT and echinacea.

Other than my friend, I can't find any sources that say that either of these herbs does anything with scar tissue. He says he doesn't expect all of you to believe him, but he is certain it is true.
thats very interesting. i wish there was more sources of the information. i'm not saying i don't beleive him though just saying i wish i knew of more resources. i will have to ponder if i should continue with drinking the tea.. if someone has been drinking rrlt for years with no effects on vision would he consider it safe to continue drinking it? i know my eyes are fine as i saw a doctor 6 months ago. she said my eyes are perfect and i have 20/20 vision

i guess i think what he is saying is probably true and ii am wondering if the effect on scars can be used in a safe way to be beneficial for my partner who has problems with scar tissue. maybe topical treatment just on his scars instead of drinking it?

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#788 of 2269 Old 06-06-2007, 05:23 PM

I wish there was more info as well. I have scar tissue on my eyes but not on the back afaik. I've also used it after my c/s. I don't believe I've had any issues with rrl in the 6 yrs I've used it. I would love to loose some callouses though lol.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#789 of 2269 Old 06-06-2007, 06:11 PM

There is more to it than just making the scars fall off. He needs to be able to regenerate healthy cells underneath those scars. Otherwise he will have new open wounds and grow new scars.

My friend and I just read this link about Keloid scars.
Then my friend said something must be out of balance in your DH's body to cause it, and that would have to be addressed. He suggested that your DH might need some amino-acid supplements.

My understanding of scarring is that each skin cell knows the data needed to replicate itself, and the cells around it within a certain radius. So, if a small enough amount of cells gets damaged, then the neighboring cells have the data for your body to replace those damaged ones. But, if the hole is big enough, there are some locations that need to be replaced but there are no neighbors left who know what went there. So, the body makes the scar tissue to fill the gap.

The link says that the likeliness of getting keloid scars is genetic. I am wondering if the local cells store different degrees of info in different people.

#790 of 2269 Old 06-06-2007, 06:28 PM

I haven't read this whole thread so please forgive me if this has been addressed already. I've tried drinking the tea... I actually don't mind the taste... but it ALWAYS gives me heartburn. I haven't had any in months because of it. No matter what time of day I drink it, with or without food. Anyone else have this? I'd like to finish off my pregnancy with it but I'm not sure I can stand the burning afterwards.
#791 of 2269 Old 06-06-2007, 08:06 PM

I only drank 1.5 cups before my friend told me that it could cause the situation we were just talking about above. But, even from that little bit, I could tell that it didn't sit well with my stomach. I got some serious indigestion.

I generally choose my food and supplements and herbs based on my natural attraction to them. I find that my instinct is very good and very strong. When I tried the RRLT, I felt no attraction to it at all, and a very mild repulsion. I am going to trust my body on this one. I am also going to trust my friend that his blindness in one eye is due to RRLT, and not take the risk, even if it is an extremely uncommon reaction.

#792 of 2269 Old 06-09-2007, 01:15 AM

Sooo, where is everyone buying their RRL from these days? Someone should compile a master list of herb stores. So far, here's who I've checked:

Mountain Rose Herbs
Bulk Herb Store
Stony Mountain Botanicals

I'm so bummed that I missed the MRH co-op.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#793 of 2269 Old 06-09-2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstickgirl View Post
just lurking and wanted to share my .02, this thread really helped me during my last pregnancy. i absolutely believe in RRL and EPO now-here is my story.

My first dd mairi was an almost 40hr hard labor, from water breaking (naturally) to birth. i took nothing during my pregnancy (EPO, RRL etc). she was born at 41w. she was 9lbs 7oz, 21in and born vaginally. i also had pitocin and other meds to "help" b/c i kept stalling.

my second dd catriana was stillborn this past january @ 41weeks. i religiously took RRL, nettle and some other stuff, esp in the 3rd trimester, along w/Epo vaginally.

my labor with catti was less than 8 hours from when my water broke (again, naturally) to when she was born, vaginally. she was 12lbs 8oz and 25 inches long. this is amazing b/c obviously as she was not alive, she wasn't doing the things a baby normally does to help labor, you know? and her size, and then also the fact that i had not ONE drop of medicine to help me, no pitocin, nothing. that is unheard of for a stillbirth (and she had died before my labor started, we think)

so i KNOW that RRL and the EPO allowed my body to have a wonderful labor, even though it was harder obviously than my first dd's, b/c we knew catti was dead. but i still am very thankful for the labor i had with catti, and know that if it helped that much in a case of stillbirth, it is pretty amazing stuff.
#794 of 2269 Old 06-09-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldone View Post
Sooo, where is everyone buying their RRL from these days? Someone should compile a master list of herb stores. So far, here's who I've checked:

Mountain Rose Herbs
Bulk Herb Store
Stony Mountain Botanicals

I'm so bummed that I missed the MRH co-op.
herbsfromthelabyrinth.com

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#795 of 2269 Old 06-11-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Hello there,

I was wondering if you could ask your herbalist friend, whom you obviously trust a lot, if he could send you the research on this? I have never heard this before, and talked with an Herbalist friend about it, who said that she had read something about it getting rid of scar tissue. (Which IMO could probably do well for those of us with scar tissue on our cervix, but fare poorly for those of us who have C-section scars!) But she hasn't heard of anything related to eyesight, and would appreciate the corresponding info-for updating her own practice.

Thanks so much!

Marcie

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#796 of 2269 Old 06-11-2007, 11:46 AM

Hey everybody -- I got in on the MRH co-op and very badly overestimated how quickly the items would be getting to me. I ordered 1 lb of RRL tea, and uh, now my baby is 2 weeks old. Is it worth taking even though I'm postpartum or should I just give it to someone else, or what?
#797 of 2269 Old 06-11-2007, 12:15 PM

Marcie,

I don't think he has any formal research on this. He discovered it first hand when he lost the vision in one eye (he hasn't regained it). I don't think he did any formal studies on it. That is why he told me that he didn't expect any of you to believe him or incorporate his info into your choices. He knows he doesn't have any good scientific research.

Interesting that YOUR herbalist friend has also heard about the possibility of it getting rid of scar tissue.

I don't think it can be COUNTED on to remove scar tissue. So many ladies here have been drinking it for a while and I haven't heard any of them noticing anything like that. It might be a very rare reaction.

#798 of 2269 Old 06-13-2007, 06:49 AM

Craven, I ordered from the bulkherb store, their prices were the best, but they did include a LOT of stems in the RRL.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#799 of 2269 Old 06-13-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
Hey everybody -- I got in on the MRH co-op and very badly overestimated how quickly the items would be getting to me. I ordered 1 lb of RRL tea, and uh, now my baby is 2 weeks old. Is it worth taking even though I'm postpartum or should I just give it to someone else, or what?
RRL should not be taken long term when nursing as it can negatively affect supply.

i'm sure you can sell it on TP.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#800 of 2269 Old 06-14-2007, 08:00 PM

Bumping this for Maura!

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#801 of 2269 Old 06-18-2007, 04:10 PM

Another one who believes in RRL!!

Just gave birth last Tuesday. I drank the tea every day for most of my pregnancy. Third trimester I started drinking 3-4 cups per day. The last few weeks I went to 5-6 cups at times. I did RRL, nettle, alfalfa and spearmint. The last few weeks I did just RRL and nettle.

I drank a lot of the tea during my latent stage. Active labor was less than 6 hours long. I had very minimal bleeding and the bright red flow had ended by 36 hours PP.

I also feel the tea contributed to my excellent health going into birth. It's just another thing that adds more to the mix... in a good way.
#802 of 2269 Old 06-21-2007, 05:26 PM

I know this is a dumb question. I just ordered the Mama's Red Raspberry Brew from bulkherbstore.com and it states for a pitcher of tea, to use 10 tsp to 8 cups of boiling water.

I get that part, but how do I actually brew the tea? I can heat the water in a saucepan, and dump the herbs in, but then what do you use to strain it? I have a collander, but it has large holes, and I don't want sediment in the tea. I have an iced tea maker, but I don't think it steeps for 15 minutes, it's shorter. I have seen many kinds of infuser (balls) for loose tea, but what size would you need for 10 tsp of tea?:

Any suggestion from the professional tea-drinkers?

I am 15 weeks pregnant and feeling guilty for not starting sooner!

Tamara
#803 of 2269 Old 06-21-2007, 05:36 PM

You could use cheesecloth or a clean coffee filter either to secure the herbs or to filter the tea. There are probably a lot more ideas out there.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#804 of 2269 Old 06-21-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa's Mom View Post
I have seen many kinds of infuser (balls) for loose tea, but what size would you need for 10 tsp of tea?:

Any suggestion from the professional tea-drinkers?
Yeah, I use a cheesecloth that I tie closed. It works well.
#805 of 2269 Old 06-21-2007, 06:22 PM

I use a fine mesh metal strainer. It's about 3.5 inches wide. You should be able to find them anywhere with the kitchen utensils.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#806 of 2269 Old 06-22-2007, 10:06 PM

I'm at about 34 weeks. Do you think I'd still benefit from drinking this tea? Should I start on a couple of cups a day now? Also, will the prebagged stuff from whole foods be just as good?

Finally, I seem to be having pretty decent Braxton Hicks contractions as it is. Do you think my uterus needs extra help "toning"?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#807 of 2269 Old 06-23-2007, 01:01 PM

I've been taking Red Raspberry Leaves as a supplement and the last week or so drinking one strong cup of Traditional Medicinals Red Raspberry Leaf Tea. I'm at 34 weeks now.

Hope it works! This will also be my second child, but anything substantially shorter than 17 hours would be nice
#808 of 2269 Old 06-23-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
I'm at about 34 weeks. Do you think I'd still benefit from drinking this tea? Should I start on a couple of cups a day now? Also, will the prebagged stuff from whole foods be just as good?

Finally, I seem to be having pretty decent Braxton Hicks contractions as it is. Do you think my uterus needs extra help "toning"?
absolutely, i have never met a woman who drank RRL tea who had a long or unproductive labor.

#809 of 2269 Old 06-23-2007, 09:31 PM

While ttcing I was drinking Mothers Milk Tea to increase my supply for my 4 yr old ds. I did some research and found Compleat Mother and a friend had some tea she had ordered and gave the rest to me.
I have never been a tea drinker, but love, love, love C.mother's RRL tea and it helped me kick the coffee habit.
I just found out this week i'm expecting and ordered some more RRL tea. I planning to get some nettles and oatstraw to add. I have been taking nettles by the capsule for years now for my vericose veins, and look forward to the tea.

I use stevia for sweetness, I tried without and didn't love it.

Is it ok to drink tons early in the pregnancy? I drink it cold and hot, but will drink it cold all day long during the summer.

I look forward to trying the strong infusion for labor. My last was about 30 hours and exhausting, though the pain was not such a problem for me as being so drained was.

Glad to be here!

-Sara, working Mom to Fletcher (2003) and Magnolia (2008):, wife to Jim the best SAHD in the world (1999) NVC has changed my life
#810 of 2269 Old 06-23-2007, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone know if rrl tea can actually spark labor?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Tags
Herb Pharm , New Mom Guide

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page