Red Raspberry Leaf Tea tribe - Page 51 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1501 of 2269 Old 07-23-2009, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Joining you ladies!

I drank RRL tea with my first pregnancy, but only in the third trimester (because I hadn't found out about it until then). My labor with him was about 6 hours. I actually didn't believe I was in "real" labor until the last hour when contractions were one on top of the other, I was hitting transition, and I was in some pain. Up until that point, my contractions were pain free. I went from 3cm to pushing in less than 2 hours and spent at least 10 minutes convincing the nurses at the Hospital that it is possible for a first time mom to labor quickly and that I needed my OB because I needed to push. OB barely made it in time because I had to fight with the nurse to believe me.

I didn't have a whole lot of bleeding postpartum either and wasn't given any pitocin to help my uterus contract after birth. The nurse who came in to massage my uterus actually commented on how much it was going down on it's own. (Although, breastfeeding had some to do with that as well.)

I'm 10w now, and have been drinking maybe 2 cups of Mother-To-Be tea a week so far (when I can stand it), and once the nausea goes away I plan on increasing to at least one cup a day, plus one cup of RRL tea a day.

Hoping this labor is at least as quick as my first!
Midwife told me she will require me to call her when I sneeze.

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#1502 of 2269 Old 07-23-2009, 11:48 PM

It's encouraging hearing your story Itsajenism.

You know, I think drinking the RRL tea from early on actually helped me with not having too much nausea. I drink a cup of warm RRL tea in the morning with a bit of honey and a sqeeze of lime or lemon.

MC #1: 12/05; MC #2: 1/09 Mama to our first that arrived 11/2/09
#1503 of 2269 Old 07-24-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlee View Post

2. 1 ounce of leaves would be more than one whole box of my Traditional Medicinals Raspberry Leaf tea....should I seriously steep a box and a half of tea bags when labor starts??
I have the same question. I'm 39 weeks and just have access to the tea bags. Not sure how to go about making the infusion for labor.

Leigh

#1504 of 2269 Old 07-24-2009, 04:14 PM

I have a box and half or so left so I think that is what I will do.
39w6d here.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#1505 of 2269 Old 07-28-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth Junky View Post
When I became pregnant, I immediately sent for some raspberry leaf tea and began taking one cup of it each day, made from one teaspoon of dried leaves added to one cup of boiling water and steeped for 15 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMad View Post
My preference is to actually use the loose leaves as they are fresh and you have control as to how much to use (3tsp per 8 oz of water).

Which one is correct? How much tea is supposed to be added? Or is it just preference?
#1506 of 2269 Old 07-28-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisBeautifulWife View Post
Which one is correct? How much tea is supposed to be added? Or is it just preference?

In reference to using 1tsp or 3tsp leaves per 8oz....

I really think its just preference. I usually do 1tsp in the first trimester, 2tsp in the second, 3tsp in the thrid. I don't think it really matters as long as you're taking at least 1tsp. Sometimes anything more than 1tsp will make mamas sick so you just have to find what works for you!

Good Luck!

Tabitha happily married to Steven - Mama to 4 little ones and another on the way!
#1507 of 2269 Old 07-28-2009, 12:23 PM

I can't imagine using only 1 t per cup. I never measure anything but I'm sure I use more like 3 t. Drink it how you like it though.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#1508 of 2269 Old 07-28-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Really, it's just preference. It's the same stuff inside the tea bags...and you can use more tea bags if you want.

I prefer loose leaf because it's cheaper! and I like to add other herbs.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#1509 of 2269 Old 07-29-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I misquoted above.
I actually do use 1 tsp of RRL per 8 oz of water. I inadvertently typed 3tsp instead of 1tsp because my little teapot holds 24oz and I prepare 24oz each time - so sorry.

#1510 of 2269 Old 07-31-2009, 10:31 PM

subbing
#1511 of 2269 Old 08-02-2009, 07:35 PM

I just read 76 pages of this thread (1,510 posts!!!) :
I feel like I deserve a special jacket or a badge or something!!! Phew!

I'm 31 weeks. Started drinking RRL tea a few weeks ago (when I started reading this thread). I really like it and FWIW I do not have any cramps with it. Maybe some BH ctx, but I don't know if that's what they are because this is my first pregnany. I actually like the tightening and the release. It feels good!

Look for my update in about 9 weeks.
#1512 of 2269 Old 08-02-2009, 08:00 PM

***sorry, wrong thread.

#1513 of 2269 Old 08-08-2009, 06:45 PM

For those looking for somewhere to buy bulk.....Herbs Etc. will ship you organic red raspberry leaf if you call their store. The number is on the bottom of their website. I used to live in Santa Fe, New Mexico where the store is and now have it shipped out to North Carolina because through my last three pregnancies (just under 4 hrs, 6.5 hr, and 5 hr births!) I've come to count on it and know it is quality stuff. As of last week it was $21-something a pound.

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#1514 of 2269 Old 08-10-2009, 04:47 PM

I'm excited to hear these great stories! I took RRL with my second - but not regularly. I intend to drink it again during 2nd trimester - because I've been so ill. But I may try this to help with my hyperemesis. Right now am trying to drink nettle, olive leaf, red clover, and milk thistle on ice. I may just add RRL to this combo. I just need to find a local source to buy in bulk - so that I can start taking it and then chug it at the end!
#1515 of 2269 Old 08-10-2009, 05:49 PM

Hi Mamas,
I just had my second baby a few weeks ago, and have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE RRL tea. I drank a pregnancy tea from 25 weeks on.... only one cup a day though. Towards the end I did let my tea steep longer, so that may have helped.
A quickie account of my birth story: induced at 37 w 3 days for pre-eclampsia. 6.5 hour labor total, the OB broke my water when I was 5 cm and I was holding DD in my arms an hour an a half later. I never did the strong infusion for labor.
I have recovered amazingly well, especially compared to my first delivery. I've had little bleeding, almost no afterpains, etc. I feel great.... and I attribute much of this to RRL tea. :-)
~maddymama
#1516 of 2269 Old 08-10-2009, 06:48 PM

I started drinking RRL at about 22 weeks. A cup a day in the 2nd tri and 2 cups a day in the 3rd. I made the strong infusion for the hospital but never drank it.

My previous labours were 47.5 and 17 hours respectively.

This one was 6.5.

That said, it was by far the most painful because it was so quick and I had no breaks between contractions after I was 5 cm dilated.

I did have my 3rd natural birth but only because it was too late to do an epidural by the time i got to the hosptial (8 cm and dilating really fast).

However, the recovery has been amazing! My uterus was back to it's pre-pg size by 5 days postpartum (after pains were fierce though) and my bleeding and lochia were done by then too (I bled 5 and 4 weeks with my previous births).

My stomach is pretty much flat and I am 8 days PP. I could wear my bikini without embarassment.

I have lost 18 of my 30 lb weight gain and if it weren't for the hemorroids from hell I woul dbe back running by now. i think i will give it another week or so.

I have been able to do 150 crunches per day since 3 days PP.

BTW, I am 42.

This is soooo different from my previous recoveries I think a lo to fit must be due to the RRL.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#1517 of 2269 Old 08-11-2009, 06:54 PM

Maddymama & Veganmama, congrats on the arrival of your LO's.

I'm glad the RRL tea seemed to work for you guys. I'm hoping that it works for me as well in November.

#1518 of 2269 Old 08-11-2009, 07:59 PM

Hello!

How early is too early to start? I was just drinking some and then remembered I saw this thread. I am only 4.5 weeks.

Also, some said to start slow. Why is this?

Thanks for any info!

Amber
#1519 of 2269 Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 AM

Hi,
I am 30 weeks pregnant with our first. I was drinking Traditional medicinals RRLT before getting pregnant to help with my irregular cycles, then stopped when I got pregnant. Now I have been starting back on it the last week.
My question is, I steep one tea bag with a coffee cup of hot water. I usually let it steep 15-20 minutes. Then I add it to a quart of ice and water. Is it strong enough or is it not doing any good?
#1520 of 2269 Old 08-12-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofatoz View Post
Question...okay, so if you make the infusion in advance, but are supposed to drink it as hot as possible during labor...if it cools, can you put it in the microwave to heat it back up, or does that weaken it? How about putting it back on the stove? Of course, I will be delivering at a hospital, so I'm thinking I will have better luck with a microwave than a stove top...
My stanely brand stainless steel thermos will keep boiling hot tea nice and hot to drink for about 8 hours. I'd make it right before going to the hospy.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#1521 of 2269 Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 PM

oops
#1522 of 2269 Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 PM

Does anyone know of a brand or a retailer that sells a good tea infuser pot?

I'd like to brew one cup but the tea ball I have (the standard one) is sort of rusting which can't be healthy and the leaves overflow and spill out when I make my nettle/RRL mixture. It'd be great if I could find a good glass tea infuser pot that has measurements on it!!! That way I'd know how much steaming water to pour in for one cup or for one quart (for the infusion) depending on what I want to make.

I'm also looking for a design that is totally sealed. The infuser pot I have (which I plan to return) lets all the hot air out of the pour spout and then my cup of tea is luke warm - I really enjoy a hot cup of tea.

I can't seem to find anything versatile enough to make 1 hot cup or 1 hot quart and yet still allows you to measure how much water you're pouring in.

Would LOVE some ideas!!!
#1523 of 2269 Old 08-19-2009, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A question here also. I have been using the Traditional Medicine tea bags and can't seem to get a strong brew (?) Maybe I just am not familiar with the subtle taste of RRL, I don't know.

I did just place an order with Mountain Rose though, so I should be getting it soon. Will that be stronger?
#1524 of 2269 Old 08-19-2009, 12:18 PM

I have also found that the Traditional Medicinals does nothing for me after having bulk organic RRL. With the bulk I can feel my uterus exercising after about 15 minutes.

Can't wait for my order to get here already! There are zero herb shops in our new city.

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#1525 of 2269 Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 PM

Does that mean that the TM tea bags dont work? Am I just wasting money here using them? I mean I would think they still should be helping somewhat???
I would love to order some bulk but mountainrose.com has a minimum of $10 order and I dont want that much RRL tea since I only have 9 weeks to go. So I havent ordered any bulk.
#1526 of 2269 Old 08-19-2009, 01:28 PM

I have TM and bulk and they are the same thing you just tend to use more per cup when you use bulk. You probably just want to use 2 bags to a cup if you like really strong tea. I like mine weak but I drink up to a gallon a day. I still feel like I get lots of benefits from it. Try ordering bulk from vitacost.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#1527 of 2269 Old 08-19-2009, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks so much MoonStarFalling, I will probably use more with the bulk when it arrives.
#1528 of 2269 Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 AM

Well, after reading 30 pages I skipped to the last ten and didn't see this in any of them, so I thought I'd post a sum-up clarity post for those worried about the first trimester, or just curious as to science stuff (I studied to be an herbalist for many years)-

RRL has compounds in it that are similar to estrogen (soy and lavender also have these types of compounds, for two others you may have heard of.) Because there haven't been much specific scientific research into herbs, exact science isn't known as to how it works, but theorists suppose RRL "uterine tonic" qualities help with cramps during period and help during pregnancy/labor because it mimics some of estrogen's qualities, i.e. helping placental growth, and helping uterine blood flow (which may explain why it can make labor go faster).

For the majority of people, a cup a day during the first trimester is fine; for some people, the conflict with their existing fluctuating hormones can be too much, especially if they have a history of miscarriage. This is why it's usually not recommended. This is also why individual herbalists sometimes WILL recommend it, because they know an individual's history or will prescribe a specific dose they think is safe.

Tea bag boxes and commercially manufactured products will almost always have the warning not to take it in the first trimester - this is to protect them legally and, frankly, to be safe because many people that drink these do so out of fear, due to a history of PG issues. If there's no warning (like a Pregnancy Tea), it probably means the amount of RRL is pretty minimal.

If you have no history of miscarriage and have drunk herbal teas before, a cup a day is probably fine the whole pregnancy. If you don't regularly drink herbal teas, I'd start slowly (a couple of cups a week, or weak cups daily) and work your way up to stronger amounts. If you have a history of uterus issues, I'd play it safe and avoid during first trimester.
amysue likes this.
#1529 of 2269 Old 08-25-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiago View Post
A question here also. I have been using the Traditional Medicine tea bags and can't seem to get a strong brew (?) Maybe I just am not familiar with the subtle taste of RRL, I don't know.

I did just place an order with Mountain Rose though, so I should be getting it soon. Will that be stronger?
I haven't used the tea bags, but ordered through Mountain Rose last Thursday and recieved my herbs by Saturday! I ordered my RRL herbs through them my last pregnancy too and both time have found the herbs to make a nice strong brew of tea. I have a 2 1/2 Qt pitcher that I brew up at a time, put in the fridge and drink cold over the next two days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
Does that mean that the TM tea bags dont work? Am I just wasting money here using them? I mean I would think they still should be helping somewhat???
I would love to order some bulk but mountainrose.com has a minimum of $10 order and I dont want that much RRL tea since I only have 9 weeks to go. So I havent ordered any bulk.
When I ordered the RRL tea during my last pregnancy, I remember thinking that 1 lb seemed like WAY more than I would need for only 9 weeks left of pregnancy. I actually ended up using almost ALL of it though, and delivered at 39 weeks. I was drinking about a qt a day (sometimes a little less or more) of the tea and put about 6 tblsp of the RRL in a pot that made about 2 1/2 quarts (regular "pitcher" size). If you need your order to go over $10, you could always get 1/2 lb of nettles with it. That's what I ordered this last time and I think it ended up being about $20 for the two items including shipping. The shipping was the worst part, but at least it arrived within two days!

After my last birth, I am a very FIRM believer in this tea and what it can do for us preggo women! I went from having very long drawn out labors with my first two kids (no tea) to having a 1 hr 15 minute labor with my last daughter! I swear it was the tea!

Good luck!

belly.gifMandy Mom to Hayden (9),  Ellie (7),  Jordyn (4),  Evan (10/07/09 - 01/11/12),  

and our rainbow1284.gif baby due January 29th!  

homebirth.jpg   waterbirth.jpg   redbluerib.gif   novaxnocirc.gif

candleflicker2.gif www.facebook.com/healingevan                

#1530 of 2269 Old 08-25-2009, 08:44 AM

I was just looking for the answer to that! I have the TM pregnancy tea also and I steep it for about a half hour to try to make it stronger. It has nettles in it too.
But I was following the directions to drink 3 cups a day.
Is that not enough? Should I drink much more than that? I'm really anxious to make sure labor goes well and I do not go over dates because I'm a VBA2C and they are really going to watch it closely.

I also went to Mountain Rose and thought there was no way to use enough to get a $10 min order.

I'm 30 weeks now so maybe I will just order it anyway.

Thanks for all the info on here.

Deb

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris

Tags
Herb Pharm , New Mom Guide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page