Red Raspberry Leaf Tea tribe - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2006, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RRL tea, to my knowledge, is safe for men to drink. I wouldn't go overboard on it, if I were a dude, but that is just me. Double check.

Okay, I've been surfing the old posts...but how many people on here have ACTUALLY done the infusion for the labor and what has been the result? What about drinking prior to that? How much how often? What is the general consencious.

I took it during DD's pregancy and before the birth, but never in HUGE doses. I kinda wish I had. I know I stepped it up i the third trimester by making sure to drink a couple-few cups every day. I don't think it made any difference with the birth though.

On a related issue, what does everyone have to say about back labor? Are there any herbs or things that can be done for this? Or should I be posting this on a new thread?

Thanks.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma
When do you expect your order to arrive? Care to post a review when it does? Thanks!
It's shipping to my mom in the U.S. She should probably receive it next week, and then she ships it over to me (I'm in Singapore). So I probably won't receive it for about two weeks.

I've never had RRL before - so I'm not sure what "the good stuff" should look/taste like, but I'm happy to still share how it tastes!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:18 AM

It looks like mountainroseherbs.com has it back in stock. I tried to order the other day and it was out of stock. I checked last night and it didnt say out of stock anymore. I ordered some!!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:53 AM

My local herbalist makes it and I was totally addicted to it the first weeks of pregnancy. Now i have backed off my addicted a bit I keep telling her she needs to sell her herbs and products online. If someone wasnt able to order it or find it I wouldnt mind getting some from her and shipping it.

In her pregnancy tea it contains:

rasberry leaf
lemon balm
strawberry leaf
nettle
peppermint
spearmint
oatstraw
alfalfa
squaw vine stevia

Its really high in vitamins and nutrients.

I havent tried it hot I also steep the herbs for 20minutes for the medicianal value and then ice it for ice tea. (especially since i live in florida)

as for men drinking it my herbalist has always said the rasberry lf is wonderful for the prostate and more.

michele
Old 04-20-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv
On a related issue, what does everyone have to say about back labor? Are there any herbs or things that can be done for this? Or should I be posting this on a new thread?

Thanks.
I don't know that any herbs would really help with this, but getting baby into a good anterior position is pretty necessary. Even then, some women do just feel labor more in their backs.

My baby was posterior a lot the last week and it was really uncomfortable at times with just my prodromal labor so I'm really glad baby is anterior again.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlyShellandKai
I also steep the herbs for 20minutes for the medicianal value and then ice it for ice tea.
I like the tea hot, too, but that is what I have been doing since the temps are getting warmer here - making ice tea. I find it pretty yummy, actually

I have been just using the Traditional Medicinals Pregnancy Tea and Red Raspberry Leaf tea ... lately making a strong blend of the two as I'm in my 3rd trimester now ... and I really enjoy the taste. TM tea's are pretty easy for me to find around here, so that's what I've been using. I've been drinking a mug of hot in the morning (while browsing over the MDC boards ) and then iced during the day.

I had one of those crazy mythical 48+ hour labors with my first, so I'm really hoping this helps for my 2nd (and that it is true what they say about second babies coming faster) I'd love to hear stories from mamas who have given birth and if they noticed a difference ... and more about drinking the tea post-partum, too.

Best Wishes tea drinking mamas! (we really need a tea drinking smilie or something dont' we?)

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
Old 04-20-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersweet
It looks like mountainroseherbs.com has it back in stock. I tried to order the other day and it was out of stock. I checked last night and it didnt say out of stock anymore. I ordered some!!
When I placed my order (late last week) it didn't say out of stock...but they called a few days later to tell me that they didn't have any. Maybe I'll call them...

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 04-20-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma
When I placed my order (late last week) it didn't say out of stock...but they called a few days later to tell me that they didn't have any. Maybe I'll call them...
Ohh, keep me posted. I did say out of stock a couple of days ago. I checked last night and it did not so hopefully they did get some in. I hate when I order something and then find out its out of stock.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:48 PM

Hey yeah you are right we do need a tea smilie. there is only a coffee one.

there arent only coffee addicts there ARE tea addicts too

michele
Old 04-21-2006, 04:36 AM

OKay, so I did not have much herbs left near the end to do a daily tea. I hung on to 2 oz just incase I had a round of seemingly REAL deal. Feb 28 just before midnight I started getting surges that I KNEW were not prodromal or practice labor, so I boiled water on the stove top, then threw in 2 big handfuls (about 1.5 oz RRL) and let it steep for 30 minutes.

In the meantime, I smudged the house, lit the candles in the bathroom and gathered other things I wanted in there like water. Then I mixed up some Emergen-C strawberry flavored and drank that real fast as my son had just woken up. PUt him back to sleep, then got up and strained out my tea and drank it all in one go. It was the right temperature after 30 minutes to down. (oh I had covered the pan while it was steeping.)

Labor was about 6ish hours.. I drank the tea about an hour or so into labor. My surges were super intense and I had both front and back labor. It did not feel painful, but if I didn't have my focal point, I think I could have gone nuts. LOL. Focal point was a kind of Ooooh noise, done to a drumbeat in my head I guess. Baby girl was born March 1st at 638am in the bathtub.

In comparison with my previous labor (DS), the surges were WAY more effective. With his labor, the surges weren't nearly as intense until the last cm of dilation or so (guessing with the dilation, it was the last 30 min before I started feeling pushy anyway). That labor would have been the same amount of time had his head presentation been a bit better (he came otu broadside of head) and my pelvis wasn't locked from injuries which I cleared up with chiropractor a year after his birth and made sure to keep going a few times before this birth!

So.. now I just need to read the original post to remember why I took it, LOL. I would take it again because even if it didn't make the surges unnoticable, I felt it really helped give my body an extra oomp to work with that and it is tasty.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Old 04-21-2006, 04:00 PM

I finally found a place to order bulk RRL: Stony Mountain Botanicals (www.wildroots.com). I paid $8.40 for 1lb of organic RRL plus 5.80 for shipping (USPS Priority) for a total of $14.20. I ordered Thurs. morning and got an email that same evening saying they'd shipped my order already.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 04-21-2006, 10:23 PM

Just a quick post! I'm hoping to order a bunch of RRL tea very soon (5 months preggy and I've drank about three cups of pregnancy tea total, yikes!)

Someone suggested the Mother Tea from Compleate Mother. Has anyone tried it and if so how did you like it? Just wanna find out before i spend $15 lol
Old 04-23-2006, 07:53 PM

Just stopping by to add my two cents on RRL:

I drank RRL off and on during early pregnancy this time, and a quart per day religiously during the last trimester. I made sure to brew it strong to get the maximum benefit, a bare minimum of 4 hours steeping time, usually closer to 8-12 hours.

I had a few episodes of prodromal labor, but they only lasted an hour or two each time, and weren't painful at all. Obviously these prodromal contractions did help, because labor was quick!

Labor started at 41 weeks 5 days, at 4 am. The first contraction felt similar to the prodromal ones, but they quickly gained in strength and frequency. By 6 am I knew this was "the real thing" and got Dh up.

Baby was born at 9:09 am, about 15 minutes after we got to the hospital, and literally 2 minutes or less after I got into the birth tub. Laboring in the car was not fun, but it wasn't "unbearable" or horrific. My back was uncomfy, and I was glad to get up and walk, but overall labor was easy and fast. The contractions were strong, and especially the last few were painful, but they felt like hard work, not like "Oh I'm going to die! Give me drugs NOW!" type of pain (like I have with a migraine headache, or when my neck gets torqued and out of whack).

I pushed maybe 3 times total, and had NO tearing at all (but then, she only weighed 6 pounds 2 oz!) and at 3 days pp my lochia is slowing down nicely. I had normal bleeding at the birth, and have not had any afterpains so severe I wanted pain medication. I have had one or two while nursing that felt like mild labor contractions, but the sensation passed after a minute or two of nursing.

I was ready to walk out of the hospital 3 hours after giving birth, but we stayed until 5 hours so the pediatrician could clear the baby to go home. We were back home with our baby girl 12 hours after the first labor contraction hit!

Yeah, I definitely recommend the RRL. Drink up ladies!

Kathryn
Old 04-23-2006, 11:50 PM

thanks for sharing the labor stories!

I got mine friday night and started drinking yesterday. I just bought some TM brand ( i dont like ordering "unknowns" online) and at the advice of another MDC momma and friend, bought some celestial seasonings raspberry zinger to add to it. I made a whole pitcher of about 3/4 RRL and 1/4 RZ.
YUMMY!!! I love this tea!
I use a couple drops of stevia to sweeten. Anyone else sweeten yours? what do you use?

Thanks ladies. I am so excited to learn about something else to help!

Amy
Old 04-24-2006, 12:00 AM

Ok, what about RAW rrl's? The wild rr are leafing out in a major way, and on my daily walk with ds I've been eating them by the handfull!!! Not the tastiest, kinda bitter but not bad all in all. I read that they have the most antioxidants before they flower in the spring, and I also read that it's good to eat them raw (blended in a smoothie, I'm too lazy to actually take them into the house and blend them, but I have plans )
I don't know anything about drying leaves for tea, or what it does to the compounds in the leaves... would it take more raw leaves to equal the dried in a cup of tea?
Does anyone else eat them raw?
Old 04-24-2006, 01:26 AM

Question about loose tea? I was using tea bags for most the pregnancy but my health food store ran out so i bought the loose stuff and got a medel infuser. i fill it up and its not near as strong as the tea bags made it. i am wondering how much of the loose tea to steep?? and for the labor tea i took some cheese cloth and put a handful in it and closed it off to have it ready. is it less effective bundled up? should i just throw it in water and then strain it afterwards??

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
Old 04-24-2006, 07:42 AM

I had to lay off the rrl tea for a while, bc I was experiencing PTL at 32 weeks. Once I hit the safetey mark of 36 weeks, I started drinking it again. I was having a lot of prodromal labor, but the tea seems to have slowed this down (or coincidence?). I am much more comfortable now.

I make it iced, letting it steep overnight. I use 3 bags of TM rrl and 2 bags of TM pregnancy tea to a quart of water, then sweeten w/honey. When I make it cold, I drink it throughout the day instead of water. It's very refreshing.

I am already 4cm dilated, so am hoping to go into labor soon. I'll let you know if the tea seemed to have any effect.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Old 04-24-2006, 02:10 PM

Glad your PTL slowed down Max.

keep us updated on your progress!
so exciting!
Old 04-24-2006, 03:32 PM

Kathryn: Congrats!!! I "know" you from the EC list...so happy to hear your wonderful news!

Old 04-24-2006, 05:30 PM

I just bought some raspberry leaf (dried) at WHole Foods today. Is this the same as RED raspberry leaf? Also, I am two days overm y due date and just started drinking the tea today. Is there still any chance it will help speed labor or anything?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:13 PM

I have been drinking rrl for abour 2 weeks now I am 37 weeks along I didn't find out about the stuff till recently. But I have few questions. I am using tea bags how much water and tea bags do you use? How often do you drink it? I bought some tea today called pregnancy tea that has other things like nettle, do any of you who drink this blend get sleepy should I drink it at night? I was told you should drink it hot and fast is this true? Do any of you do raspberry leaf drops, I saw these at the store and they are more expensive but wondering if they are more effective? What is a strong brew with tea bags for the hospital? Are any of you planning to do blue and black cohash? My OB is going to start me and I was wondering/ thinking about taking these the night before to possibly avoid pitocin. Thanks I know alot of questions
Old 04-28-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjamieof2
My OB is going to start me and I was wondering/ thinking about taking these the night before to possibly avoid pitocin. Thanks I know alot of questions
Do you mean your doctor is going to induce you? If so, may I ask why? I'm always curious what the rush is
Old 04-28-2006, 10:51 PM

jamie- It shouldn't make you sleepy, and you can find more info on nettles (and brewing) on this thread, maybe try a search and you can see everyone's opinion on the best way to brew! What I do know about rrl is that like exercise, it takes repeated use to have an effect, so drink it every day. If you don't like drinking the tea, I'm sure the tincture would be fine, but otherwise just save yourself the $$ because the tea has the same stuff! You can drink it hot or cold, I think the big dose before/during labor is the hot/fast one... there's a big post about that early in the thread I think...
About the induction thing, I don't know your specifics but personally I'd suggest to reeeeeeeally really research induction before you go along with it, even with cohoshes. But if you do decide to use the cohoshes, keep in mind that they probably aren't going to kick you into labor if your body really isn't ready yet. If you want to avoid pitocin... well don't go in to be induced (ignore that if you really need to be induced for a medical issue or something)
Old 04-28-2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmom
If you want to avoid pitocin... well don't go in to be induced (ignore that if you really need to be induced for a medical issue or something)
ITA, unless you have a medical condition that necessitates induction I would avoid it as many inductions quickly end up "emergency c-sections". Just a thought.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:19 PM

yep, unfortunately induction was the first step to getting that purty c/s ribbon next to my son's name. I was 42+ weeks so my midwives had to drop me (and ds was 12lbs.) but if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have stepped foot in that hospital.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:56 PM

Wow Amy, Morgan was a big boy! You sure know how to grow 'em! You and I are due to have UCs around the same time
Old 04-29-2006, 12:03 PM

Morgan was born in alaska where they say things grow big... like monster cabbages... so hopefully this wisconsin baby will be a little more ah.. moderate. Like a wisconsin cabbage or something I'm glad to be here and due in the summer too, because we're overrun with wild red raspberries- I have an endless supply to experiment with! I'm still wondering if anyone smoothies raw leaves or eats them raw in some other way... I read about it in Herbs, Helps, and Healings and they actually don't taste all that bad, especially in a smoothie. DS even loves the green smoothies!
Old 04-29-2006, 01:29 PM

mmmmm smoothie *drool*
Old 04-30-2006, 03:51 PM

Can someone tell me if it's okay if I put the RRL that I have now (from Mountain Rose Herbs - fantastic!) into capsules and eat it?
Old 04-30-2006, 04:02 PM

Does it matter if it is just RRL or if it contains RRL along with other good pregnancy herbs such as nettle etc?

Michele

Tags
Herb Pharm , New Mom Guide
User Tag List