Forum Jump: 

#241 of 2269 Old 05-17-2006, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma
I'm drinking an infusion now (21 weeks)
You really shouldn't be having RRL yet, honey!! Not until 35 weeks...says so on the labels even, or it does over here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 2269 Old 05-17-2006, 01:39 PM

Whoa whoa whoa. Many of the mamas here have educated themselves very well on this topic. Unless a woman is in danger of preterm labor (for instance my sister who has had multiple miscarriages) it is safe to drink RRL tea throughout the entire pregnancy.

Please don't go spreading misinformation, just because the labels say so.
#243 of 2269 Old 05-17-2006, 02:03 PM

I took RRL tea from the last trimester, about twice a day or more. I loved it! And although my labor was "helped" (!?) along with pitocin because of strep b and a supposedly leaking bag, the pitocin didn't really hurt me! So the nurses cranked it to the max. Labor was pretty great except that I was tired from being without sleep for three nights due to excitement with the prelabor. The pitocin added to the exhaustion, too, because the contractions were so ineffectual and I had a hard time catching them and riding them with relaxation. I was absolutely ecstatic during pushing and had really no pain with delivery! My uterus bounced back well and I felt AMAZINGLY strong and well immediately after birth.

I wish I had known about taking the strong infusion, but FWIW, the RRL seems like GOOD stuff!

My babe was breech, though, and didn't turn on his own (I had an external version at 37 weeks). I wonder if my uterus was *too* toned??
#244 of 2269 Old 05-17-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2madison03
Okay, let me tell you that I envy all of you who actually like the RRL tea. I drank my first cup last night and thought it was awful. So I put a little raw honey in it to sweeten it some and that aftertaste is killing me. I'm really going to have to choke it down.
I agree with the nasty taste! I always make mine (I do an infusion with loose-leaf tea) with something else (usually some kind of lemon herbal loose-leaf). Lemon really masks the nasty taste for me. Then, I put a bunch of raw honey in as well and it actually tastes really GOOD! Good luck!
#245 of 2269 Old 05-17-2006, 10:47 PM

I haven't had a chance to read all these replies yet, but I'm joining in on this tribe. I had my first cup of RRL tea today and - sorry Ina & Meredith - thought it was really yummy. My FIL brought me RRL and blue and black cohosh and the RRL was the only one I felt comfortable trying right now.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#246 of 2269 Old 05-18-2006, 12:02 AM

I make mine with teabags by Traditional Medicinals. Just plain RRL, not the pregnancy tea. ( I hate mint and it has some sort of mint in it.)

The last pitcher i made was YUMMY! 4 TM bags and 2 tea bags of Rasberry Zinger from Celestial seasonings. I know that isnt a specialty product and pretty mainstream, but a friend recommended it per her MW and i didnt want to order online.

I boiled water, put all 6 bags in a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Let them steep ( or soak as i call it ) all afternoon and all night. So probably 24 hrs. Poured it into a 2 qt pitcher. Added hot water to the tea bags til they ran clear and squeezed out clear and kept pouring the water into the pitcher til it was full.

I let the bags stay in the pitcher, brought the tags up through the pour spout.

It was so good I barely needed to sweeten!

#247 of 2269 Old 05-18-2006, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryPixie83
Whoa whoa whoa. Many of the mamas here have educated themselves very well on this topic. Unless a woman is in danger of preterm labor (for instance my sister who has had multiple miscarriages) it is safe to drink RRL tea throughout the entire pregnancy.

Please don't go spreading misinformation, just because the labels say so.
Well, I just know it's certainly not advised to have it before then over here!
#248 of 2269 Old 05-18-2006, 11:17 AM

Well, I'm officially a true believer in the power of RRL tea. I had two cups of RRL tea last night and it felt like I had one looooong contraction (not painful, just nice and firm). It definitely feels like the herbs are doing their job.

Now if only they would make a kegal toner, a cervix dilater, and a baby pusher-outer in the form of an herb, I'd be in good shape.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#249 of 2269 Old 05-19-2006, 07:06 AM

Hi RRL Tea Tribe. I'm back from having my baby & thought I'd share my RRL experience w/you. I started drinking pregnancy tea & RRL tea early on, but had to stop at 32 weeks when I went into preterm labor (not related to the tea, I am sure). I started the RRL back when I reached the safe date of 36 weeks. I probably drank a quart a day. I like it iced w/a chammomile bag & honey added for flavor.

My labor was pretty quick - water broke at 10am, then strong cx began, started pushing around 1pm and she was born at 2:30pm. The pushing would have been shorter, but she was very big, 9.9 lbs, and had shoulder distocia, so that complicated matters. My afterpains have been moderate. So I am not sure if the RRL attributed to the short labor, or if it was bc it was my 4th birth. But my afterpains this time around do seem less than w/the last - so perhaps it does help w/that also. Gotta run - babe needs me.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#250 of 2269 Old 05-19-2006, 12:22 PM

Congrats on the new little one, Max! Thanks for sharing your RRL story... I'm gonna go drink a glass now!
#251 of 2269 Old 05-19-2006, 12:55 PM

Another quick RRL birth here... I drank my normal large mug of pg/rrl tea before bed... dd2 was waterbirthed @ home at 3:45am three days ago after two intense hours of back labor (not posterior, but suspected nuchal hand/fist).

Unfortunastely, tons of afterbirth pains and my back is still sore but otherwise I feel awesome!

So each labor has halved, I drank pg and/or RRL tea all three pgs:
#1- 8 hours from start of Pitocin
#2- 4 hours from realizing it was active labor and not more prodromal labor
#3- 2 hours from realizing it was active labor and not more prodromal labor
#252 of 2269 Old 05-19-2006, 01:13 PM

Awww new babies! Congrats mamas! Yay!
#253 of 2269 Old 05-21-2006, 10:13 PM

Joining the tribe, I am almost 29 weeks with DD #2, due August 9th. I have been drinking the TM tea for a couple of weeks now, not a huge fan of the taste but I drink it anyway. Once it starts getting hot on a regular basis, I will make the iced tea. DH looked for the loose tea at the store today and couldn't find it, so I will be buying it online.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#254 of 2269 Old 05-24-2006, 03:50 PM

I finally got my shipment of tea yesterday from Mountain Rose Herbs (it really didn't take that long, I'm just super impatient!) and mmmmmmm yummy! You could smell the spearmint before the box was even opened! After a little experimenting I found a pretty yummy mix, so I thought I'd share with everyone

1/4c. Alfalfa
1/2c. Spearmint
1/2c. Nettles
1 c. Raspberry leaf

I put it all in a mason jar and mix it well, then use about a tablespoon of the tea for my small infuser pot (enough for two cups of tea).

I had equal amounts of the alfalfa, nettles and spearmint the first time, but I've discovered I'm not overly fond of the taste of the alfalfa so I decreased the amount a bit. Much better now

I'm going to be making a jug of this for the fridge in a couple minutes, especially since it's so warm and muggy out today.

Cheers!
#255 of 2269 Old 05-25-2006, 12:22 PM

I think I'm joining you all. I had a quick and easy labor last time, but this one just won't get started! I'm really okay with that--sort of--but I'm a "do-er" so I need to be actively engaged in some kind of activity to get this party started. So, getting out my herbs and my infusion pot...

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
#256 of 2269 Old 05-25-2006, 08:51 PM

Quick question: my dd (almost 2) absolutely loves my tea (rrl, nettles, alfalfa and spearmint) and would drink it all day if we let her. Is it safe for her to drink?
#257 of 2269 Old 05-25-2006, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Hi all,

Subscribing and new to this tribe. I'm 11w5d with our first pregnancy and first baby. I sipped a weak-ish cup of RRL tonight while reading the board (box of tea bags from the local health food store). I'll probably finish off the box (just started it tonight) and order some bulk RRL and nettle for later.

I like the tea. Tastes good. :P But then again when I drink "regular" tea, I drink it unsweetened. I can't stand sweet tea, hot or cold. Tastes gross to me. LOL.

I read this WHOLE thread and was so pleased to see all the mini-birth stories. Mine seems like it is still SO far away right now, but whenever it happens then I'll definitely come to share. Both of my sisters had C-sections (after inductions yuk) so it will be interesting to see how my labor and birth turn out.

Andrea

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
#258 of 2269 Old 05-25-2006, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryPixie83
Quick question: my dd (almost 2) absolutely loves my tea (rrl, nettles, alfalfa and spearmint) and would drink it all day if we let her. Is it safe for her to drink?
I don't see why not. From the Bulk Herb Store, they list it as a remedy for nausea in children, so I'd imagine it's safe for her to drink. It's just red raspberry leaves.

My MIL is bringing me some fresh leaves this weekend from her garden, and I will dry them and make my own tea. I can't wait!

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#259 of 2269 Old 05-26-2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobyfeeder
I don't see why not. From the Bulk Herb Store, they list it as a remedy for nausea in children, so I'd imagine it's safe for her to drink. It's just red raspberry leaves.
I kinda figured they would be safe, but sometimes paranoid mommy-syndrome kicks in
#260 of 2269 Old 05-26-2006, 06:37 AM

Hey Andrea, welcome. I'm about where you are in my second pregnancy. Good luck to you and may you have an easy and productive pregnancy, labor and delivery. And pay no mind to your sister's past experiences...each woman is different (even if they DO share genetics) and there are MANY alternatives to try (usually) before having a c-section. And, if you do end up having a c-section (a blessing that you WON'T!!!) don't pay it much mind either. The name of the game is making the best choices we can and doing our best as often as possible. Being healthy, healthy baby...blah blah blah...that's all that really matters.

All that being said, c-sections can be incredibly rare in societies and cultures where it is not the "socital" or "safe" norm...so the chances of that happening to you are relatively low, IMO.

As for kids drinking the tea... our dd would steal my whole mug if I let her. She gulps it hot and gulps it cold. When I mentioned this to my good friend, she gave me a GREAT answer "well, she has a uterus too...so it can't hurt!" And you know, she's likely right about that. So far, no problems, and it even seems to put her in better spirits...

Okay ladies....how much are you drinking...how much SHOULD we be drinking throughout the pregnancy? When to increase?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#261 of 2269 Old 05-26-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv
As for kids drinking the tea... our dd would steal my whole mug if I let her. She gulps it hot and gulps it cold. When I mentioned this to my good friend, she gave me a GREAT answer "well, she has a uterus too...so it can't hurt!" And you know, she's likely right about that. So far, no problems, and it even seems to put her in better spirits...

Okay ladies....how much are you drinking...how much SHOULD we be drinking throughout the pregnancy? When to increase?
Good point, dd *does* have a uterus

As for amounts.. I've been looking for a solid consensus... there isn't one Some say none until third trimester and then only a cup a day, while others say 1-2 cups during the first, 2-4 during the second and up to half a gallon during the third, unless of course you are at risk for miscarriages, etc etc

I wrote the recipe for the tea I'm drinking in my grimoire and the latter or the two amounts is what I wrote in.....mainly because I have found that I loooove rrl tea
#262 of 2269 Old 05-26-2006, 01:19 PM

I have been drinking one cup a day, I'm 29+ weeks along. As soon as I get the herbs I ordered, I will start making stronger cups, and drinking two a day if I can remember. I probably should have ordered something else to go in it, since I'm not loving the taste. Oh well. Obviously, if you have a history of m/c, you certainly shouldn't be drinking it in your first tri. I would say one cup a day for 2nd tri, then third tri up it to a couple of stronger cups, then once you get into the last couple weeks, more.

#263 of 2269 Old 05-26-2006, 02:12 PM

Ack! so glad I popped over here, I just realized I haven't had any tea to drink today!
#264 of 2269 Old 05-29-2006, 12:08 PM

OMG, this stuff is SO much better iced! I got my fresh herbs really quickly from the bulk herb store, and I put a handful of the RRL into quart mason jars, poured boiling water over them, and let them sit out for about 30 minutes. Then I closed up the jars (with the leaves still in them of course) and put them in the fridge. It is so much easier to drink a quart a day now. I love it! Oh, and my MIL instead of bringing me leaves, brought me two whole raspberry plants to plant myself. I have a few leaves drying now for testing.

#265 of 2269 Old 05-29-2006, 12:48 PM

That's almost exactly what I do! I've never even tried the tea hot. I make it each evening: Put RRL in a mesh ball in a canning jar, pour boiling water over, cap immediately, let steep on counter for several hours, put in fridge before I go to bed, and drink the next day.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#266 of 2269 Old 05-29-2006, 02:57 PM

I was a big RRL drinker last time, but only got into it halfway through the 3rd T, so I have started as soon as I found at(like 3 weeks!) and I do a cup a day for now b/c I have to get used to the taste. I know by the end, I'll love it...or be sick of it!
#267 of 2269 Old 05-29-2006, 04:27 PM

I'm looooving my rrl smoothies, especially since the tea seems to make me nauseous. I pick a good handful of raw leaves and blend it up with some soy milk, yogurt, a little juice for sweetness and some frozen bananas
I usually drink 1/2 and save the rest in the freezer for the next day.
I've read that the leaves are best in spring/early summer so I'd like to pick some to preserve now, but I'm not sure if freezing or drying would be best?
#268 of 2269 Old 05-31-2006, 04:44 PM

Ladies, what's the benefit of nettle? And, is spearmint mostly for taste reasons?

I am coming on this late, but will start RRL this week (29 weeks pg). I am going for a VBAC. I took RRL capsules with my son as well.

Thanks,
Oana
#269 of 2269 Old 05-31-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmom
I'm looooving my rrl smoothies, especially since the tea seems to make me nauseous. I pick a good handful of raw leaves and blend it up with some soy milk, yogurt, a little juice for sweetness and some frozen bananas
I usually drink 1/2 and save the rest in the freezer for the next day.
I've read that the leaves are best in spring/early summer so I'd like to pick some to preserve now, but I'm not sure if freezing or drying would be best?
Mmmm, that sounds yummy! I have no idea re: freezing or drying.

Oana, nettles are actually sposed to be really good for Vitamin K, among other things. I believe spearmint is just for taste, but don't quote me on that.

#270 of 2269 Old 05-31-2006, 07:02 PM

So, most agree that RRL is safe all throughout pregnancy? Last time I was pg (10 yrs ago!) I drank it by the gallon in my last trimester, but on other lists people who are pretty knowlegeable about herbs have told me to start now. I'm almost 9 wks. So I have been drinking a little, but not as much. And the nettle is new, I never knew about that. So I've added some of it too. I always drink it iced, make a big pitcher and usually sip all day. Any other herbs that would be good to add to it?

Tags
Herb Pharm , New Mom Guide

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page