Contractions at 24 weeks? Scared . . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-26-2005, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas, I'm hoping someone can offer me a little advice.

I'm 24 weeks along today, and I've periodically had some Braxton-Hicks contractions in the past few weeks. This morning, however, I started getting some kind of intense contractions. Not enough to really hurt, but enough that my back and lower abdomen felt realy crampy. They were coming one after the other, though somewhat irregularly. I called the L/D dept. of the hospital and the nursee I spoke to advised drinking lots of water and staying off my feet.

Here's the thing: I'm still feeling crampy and although the contractions are very infrequent now (within the normal 4 or so per hour), I'm nervous. I'm still nursing my 18 month old dd, but I'm no longer producing anything but the tiniest drops of milk. She only nurses a couple times a day, yet I'm now afraid that her nursing could be stimulating contractions. Should I stop nursing? And how much should I stay off my feet?

I have an appointment with my midwife (who oversees my care and delivered my first dc) on Thursday--assuming I don't have another episode, should I just go about my normal business until then?

Thanks!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#2 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 12:32 AM

That happened to me, too. I'm 36 weeks now and still pregnant. I'd keep nursing unless there's a clear correlation and the contractions are causing your cervix to change. But definitley try to arrange for a few quiet days and do drink more water than you can possibly believe you're drinking. You might also try taking magnesium and red raspberry leaf. Both have helped tremendously to calm my contractions since about that same point in pregnancy.

Hang in there!
#3 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Rachel. I'll give those a try. The sensible side of me thinks everything will be just fine, but there's that little hysterical voice that can only think of the worst case scenario. Blah! I'm sure the pregancy "hormones" don't help things, either!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#4 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 09:43 AM

No, I know I was really anxious, too. Just try to go as easy as you can. The other thing to take is lots of vitamin C, which will help your bag of waters stay strong. Chances are excellent that this will all be okay.
#5 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 11:41 AM

Also, if you are worried, you can request a fetal fibronectin test (although I think some insurance may not cover it). If it comes back negative, you can be pretty sure that it's just practice contractions and not true pre-term labor (at least for the 2 weeks following the test). Be prepared for them to offer terbutaline anyway though if you are having lots of contractions...it's not necessary, but for some reason many places feel they should treat contractions even if the test indicates it's not PTL.

Do put a call in to the midwife even if you are feeling better now...I should have called mine a few weeks ago for some cramping in my legs and thighs and didn't b/c I had an appt later in the week.

Christa
#6 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Things have settled down much more today. I haven't had another episode of the repeating contractions (just a few odd ones here and there). I feel pretty worn out, mentally, but I'm doing my best to take it easy. It's so helpful to have the advice and support of other moms!

#7 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 05:17 PM

Glad things have settled down. I agree that it is very important to drink, drink, drink as much water as possible. ALso, make sure that you are eating enough, and often enough, and getting loads of protein.

Take care-

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page