Pap smear while pregnant? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 11-10-2006, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i had 2 with my first pregnancy, i never had one in my life before getting pregnant at the time so it was kinda neccesary, i had abnormal cells so i had another one done at 8 mths pregnant , still abnormal, so 6 weeks after i had my son i had a colpo done and it all came back fine, then at my first appt with this one i had apap done that came back fine then i moved to germany and i beleive they did another one here, i never had aproblem with any of them though so eh i guess it depends on your dr and if u really need em. i kinda did so i didnt mind it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 11-10-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
Many medical based providers do Paps at the first prenatal visit. I don't do them for a number of reasons, but here are a few of my main reasons:

* I don't like the idea of messing with the cervix early in pregnancy
* I think an initial prenatal is a vulnerable time for women and getting all naked right off the bat is uncomfortable for many women
* The cervix changes so much in preg - esp early preg - that it's common to get abnormal results. Which usually means another Pap after preg. Why not just wait until after preg?
* It's EXTREMELY rare to have a cancer that is so fast spreading that it is risky to your pregnancy

For myself, I do Paps every five years or so and I feel fine with my decision to do so.
Exactly.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#33 of 43 Old 11-10-2006, 06:20 PM

my mom hasnt had a pap smear done in 16 yrs , i find that alittle scary only because of my scare with abnormal cells for awhile and the fact they can turn cancerous . all the health problems she has i really think a pap would be neccesary ya know. i dont mind them when pregnant ive never had problems , i had bleeding with teh colpo but iw asnt pregnant when i had that done.
#34 of 43 Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 PM

I'm getting one done in two weeks (I'll be 9 weeks) because I haven't had one in years. I've never had problems (like bleeding) with paps or problems with cervix in pregnancy so I'm not concerned. I also had paps early on with my other three with no problem.
#35 of 43 Old 11-10-2006, 07:25 PM

the cnp midwife tht we fired and is now sending me threatening emails (oh well) tested me for everything under the moon and did a pap and said you have to when I asked if it was safe. If I would have bled (thank god didn't ) I would have been a nervous wreck!
#36 of 43 Old 11-10-2006, 07:25 PM

I had one at my first visit but only because my last one 4 months prior was inconculsive, and I was told to wait a few months before getting another. The OB did it just to be sure nothing was going on. It was fine. It was also surprisingly pain and discomfort-free. I was only about 5 weeks at the time and it did not affect me one way or the other.

I would not have had it were my last pap normal or conclusive.
#37 of 43 Old 11-11-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
I had one done at 6 wks, because I hadn't had one in about 3 years. My midwife gave me the option to not have it, but I chose to do it since it had been so long. Everything was fine and I didn't have any bleeding or anything.
I too had one at my fist MW appt. (about 6 weeks) because it had been a few years. I had the tiniest bit of bleeding (like 3 drops) afterward, but I knew it wasn't a big deal. If I had had one within a year or so, I wouldn't have had one then.
#38 of 43 Old 11-11-2006, 08:27 PM

Generally speaking, a pap smear is done on the first prenatal visit, but of course it depends upon the patient. If you've had a pap smear within the last year, or over 30 and have had a pap smear in the last three years and it was negative and you've been with the same partner, you don't need one. And, your practitioner should always tell you when you're going to have a pap, so you have the chance to refuse. The reasons for a pap in pregnancy - 1)for many women it's their first, and they may not of otherwise received on. 2) it is believed that cervical cancer "grows" quicker in pregnancy (as with everything in pregnancy).

As for tests for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia, if you think you're at risk and don't want a spec exam, you can ask to do a urine based test.
#39 of 43 Old 11-11-2006, 08:39 PM

I did NOT have one during this PG. I may think about it for my 6 week check-up after baby. It isn't as if they could do a whole heck of a lot during the pregnancy anyway. So, why add the stress?
#40 of 43 Old 11-11-2006, 09:33 PM

I think it is completely disrespectful to do it at the first visit anyways. I was on a wiating list for midwives with my first, and saw a doctor in the meantime.

At the first appointment, the doctor said he never does paps at the first appointment because he thinks it is disrespectful and makes people vulnerable to meet someone for the first time and then have them disrobe.

I won't have one during pregnancy in any case for all the reasons pamamidwife sAID.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#41 of 43 Old 11-12-2006, 03:50 AM

I had one this time by accident BEFORE I KNEW I WAS PREGNANT!!!

I really think that they are dangerous during pregancy...thanks for all the replies!

AND, I found out from my provider that if you get an HPV test, you only have to get pap smears every three years! I am all about that. They didn't think I needed a HPV test because I was not sexually active/monogamous, so in that case you really don't need a pap either.
#42 of 43 Old 11-12-2006, 02:17 PM

I had one with my last and I just had my annual one this week. Not a big deal IMO. Didn't hurt and wasn't any more uncomfortable than usual. I didn't cramp or bleed afterward either.
#43 of 43 Old 11-12-2006, 02:45 PM

I don't get them done during pregnancy because I wouldn't do anything with the results. I wouldn't even allow a culposcopy during pregnancy so if the PAP came back 'abnormal' or 'bad' there is no course of action I would feel comfortable with and I would spend the whole pregnancy worrying.

Let me also say that I have had cervical cancer - years ago. I had my last PAP last November and won't be getting another until well after this little one is born since my GYN is not my caregiver during pregnancy and my insurance won't pay for my MW to give me a PAP.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page