What helps for morning sickness? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 10-13-2005, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a sticky or long thread on various solutions people have tried (successful and unsuccessful) for treating MS?

Not pregnant but hoping!
#2 of 39 Old 10-13-2005, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

#3 of 39 Old 10-14-2005, 03:39 PM

Not that I know of, but it's a good thought.

Here's one in case a sticky is made!

#1: In my personal experience, prescription prenatals made my nausea worse. I've had really good luck with Rainbow Light Food Based Complete Prenatal Care.
#4 of 39 Old 10-14-2005, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Great - I hope I will need this thread soon (well, hope I don't but ykwim)

- "sea bands" are wrist bands that put pressure at certain points on your wrists and relieve nausea. I found these to take the edge off, but not a major cure.

- ginger tea

- eating frequently

- getting out and being active, even though it was the last thing in the world I want to do, always helped
#5 of 39 Old 10-15-2005, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

c'mon mamas, I know you tried things when you had M/S!
#6 of 39 Old 10-15-2005, 12:06 PM

I'll add another one: lemonade! When water sat too heavy on my tummy, a glass of lemonade was fine. I just made lemonade with distilled water using the RealLemon recipe.

I also hear lemon candies help too.
#7 of 39 Old 10-15-2005, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Trying a new title to see if we get any more contributions!
#8 of 39 Old 10-15-2005, 11:03 PM

I haven't had the chance to try it yet but several moms have suggested ginger to me.

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#9 of 39 Old 10-15-2005, 11:12 PM

I have never been pregnant but have heard about the ginger and actually heard you should hold a piece of ginger root in your jaw and it will help.
#10 of 39 Old 10-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Banned

Nothing worked for me for either pregnancy other than simply waiting it out. It never stayed with me into the 2nd trimester.
#11 of 39 Old 10-16-2005, 05:39 AM

Hi there was a thread last month with various remedies that have helped people with morning sickness (me included!) here is the link:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=341615
#12 of 39 Old 10-16-2005, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

thanks!
#13 of 39 Old 10-17-2005, 04:33 PM

Is there a way to search for old threads about this? I know there are tons...

My top tricks:

lime popsicles
plain (unsweetened) cranberry juice
potatoes
Trader Joe's Os (like cheerios)
sucking sour candies
#14 of 39 Old 10-23-2005, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

#15 of 39 Old 10-23-2005, 11:06 PM

I've tried everything, sour things, peppermints, ginger, lemon, sugar, juice, milk, crackers, bread, assorted vitamins, water, various teas, mediation, prayer, sleeping late, getting up early, eating first thing in the morning, eating before bed, not eating till noon, cheese, meat, cola, coffee, rice, almonds, peanut butter, cashews, yoga.

The only thing that worked for me was giving birth. MS cleared up the very next day!
#16 of 39 Old 10-24-2005, 11:06 AM

:

I didn't have any specific food or drink that seemed to help. Just eating a little bit every hour or two in order to keep blood sugar levels on an even keel helped me part of the time. But, golly, how awful to have to eat when you feel nauseous!! One of the few times in my life I actually got tired of having to eat . . .

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

#17 of 39 Old 10-24-2005, 04:30 PM

Something about the carbs...eating mac and cheese right before bed did great for me.
#18 of 39 Old 10-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Banned

I found that eating lots of little meals helped somewhat. I threw up about six times a day for the first trimester for the most part but eating helped me not feel so queasy and I found quickly that I threw up whether I ate or not so I might as well eat and not feel so starved. I also found ginger tea and candied ginger somewhat helpful. I think I would have felt better if I had been allowed to rest but I was in jobcorp at the time and I there was so much noise and in the dorms we were doing extra chores late at night to so I did not get much rest and was just run down on top of everything else so that may be why I was so sick.
#19 of 39 Old 10-24-2005, 07:12 PM

The only thing that helped me was a supplement called "Phosfood" by Standard Process. I would put a few drops into water and sip it and my nausea would almost instantly go away. The main ingredient in it is phosphoric acid, which if you look on the anti-nausea OTC meds, that's their main ingredient too - plus alot of other unecessary stuff. With Phosfood, you don't get all that other junk. I would not be without it if I were to get pregnant again.

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#20 of 39 Old 10-24-2005, 07:24 PM

An excellent article if you have severe morning sickness and have tried all other options:

http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr...marijuana.html

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#21 of 39 Old 10-24-2005, 07:26 PM

I ate a cracker when I woke up every morning, before i even got out of bed.... Ilaid there for a minute or two, ate another and Iwas fine after that.

Wife, Mama , Daughter, Best Friend, Manicurist.
#22 of 39 Old 10-24-2005, 07:28 PM

I probably would have had major complications if it wasn't for
http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr...marijuana.html
it is the only thing I know of that is immediately and completely effective for hyperemesis (extreme morning sickness).

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#23 of 39 Old 10-24-2005, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMoe
Nothing worked for me for either pregnancy other than simply waiting it out. It never stayed with me into the 2nd trimester.
This has been the case for me, too. I am officially now in the second trimester and the nausea has lessened, but everytime I think I am better, I get sick again. I spent a good amount of yesterday barfing.

Sometimes ginger helps but sometimes not. What helps more than anything is not allowing myself to get too hungry. In fact, my sickness almost always happens in the evening, so I think it could be low blood sugar making it worse.
#24 of 39 Old 10-25-2005, 12:32 AM

Sorry I am being lazy and not reading through all the replies so I apologize if someone already said this one.

Acupuncture.

I went to see my acupuncturist with migranes when I was pregnant and he also treated my severe morning sickness.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#25 of 39 Old 10-25-2005, 07:23 PM

Granny smith apples really really helped me
#26 of 39 Old 10-26-2005, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Papaya enzyme chewables really helped me with heartburn, which made my morning sickness worse. My midwife suggested them, and they worked wonders. What helped the most was a combo of three things for me. My husband gets up really early for work (5/5:30ish) and he'd bring me a bowl of oatmeal with milk in it in bed. I'd eat it (mostly asleep) and go back to sleep. Then, as soon as I got up an hour and a half later, I mean as soon as my feet hit the floor, I'd have a piece of fruit and some yogurt. If I started my morning out this way, it made the whole rest of the day easier (I was sick all day). I sipped ginger tea and wore a sea-band just about constantly. This especially helped in the car, where I got violently ill as soon as motion commenced. Keeping a good balance of carbs and protein in small frequent meals, especially starting out very early, along with the tea and the sea-band seemed to help a lot. I do think that the only real "cure" is delivery, though! The thing is, it completely depends on the pregnancy. With my first I was sick from conception to birth. With my second, I was sick for a week and a half, that's it. You might not be sick at all. Let's hope for *that* option! Good Luck.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#27 of 39 Old 10-26-2005, 05:27 PM

For some reason, this third pregnancy has really increased the frequency and severity of my carsickness... I've found Hyland Motion Sickness tablets really help. It's hilly and there's lots of windy roads around here so short of staying home or just in town I have to have something to help and the Hyland tablets really help (they help my dd's motion sickness too).
#28 of 39 Old 10-28-2005, 12:56 PM

I had MS from week 6-16. It was actually more middle-of-the-day/evening sickness. Eating frequently helped sometimes as did including protein in each meal. Then I visited my naturopathic doctor who recommended homeopathic remedies. These really helped! I can't list one specific remedy that will work for you because they are only effective when matched with your specific symptoms. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to find the right remedy. They are completely safe during pregnancy and also very safe and effective for treating infants & children suffering from cold, flu, ear infections... you name it!
#29 of 39 Old 10-28-2005, 04:14 PM

earthy mama's post reminds me.. I have had luck with the homeopathic remedy Sulphur for my nausea... but it's best to find the exact remedy that will work for you. If you can't find a local homeopath or can't afford it, http://www.abchomeopathy.com/go.php has a interactive remedy finder.
#30 of 39 Old 10-29-2005, 01:22 PM

I've had hyperemesis w/ all of my babies...tried every natural remedy, Zofran, Phenergan, Sea Bands, EVERYTHING. Well, so I thought. I am newly pregnant and have been using a dropperful and a half of dandelion and ginger tincture in water in the morning and throughout the day. That stuff works like magic!

Also, bancha tea, ume plums, and vitex can help, too.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page