i have a cold! waaaah! any advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-30-2002, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been over a year since I've had a cold, so of course I get one just as I'm starting to get over the nausea of pregnancy : . It's a lovely stuffy/runny nose/sore throat sort of deal. Anyone have any great home remedies safe for pregnant mamas?
#2 of 4 Old 12-30-2002, 11:31 PM

Sorry, not much advice here, but I know how you feel. I had three in a row without a break, then two weeks off & another one! I never get sick! I took lots of echinacea & extra vitamin C to try to fight them off. I drank hot lemon & honey (hot water with lemon juice & honey to taste) to sooth my throat & steam my head as often as possible.
Hope it clears up soon & you don't get any more.
Helen

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#3 of 4 Old 12-31-2002, 02:57 AM
XM

What I have found helpful is a fine-mist humidifier. Keeps you moist without getting everything all soggy. Without it I'll sleep with my mouth open and wake up with a really dry sore throat. Plain saline nasal spray is OK but one of the ingredients in the OTC medicated sprays not only shrinks your sinuses but the placental site as well (which is, of course, bad). Ask your doc or MW how much vitamin C you can take a day in pregnancy, I can't remember what the max amount is (but it's pretty high).

I am just getting over a nasty cold and one of the things that made me feel better immediately was a hot shower! My chest was sore from coughing and it just felt so much better to be under that hot water, plus it helped me breathe better as well.

Oh, I hope you feel better soon!

XM
#4 of 4 Old 01-04-2003, 08:11 PM

Breathing steam (either from a vaporizer or just a pot of hot water), hot liquids (drinking them and breathing the steam), taking warm showers, increasing your fluid intake (if you can stand it) and getting lots of rest are the main things.

My nurse also said that a decongestant, such as sudafed, is OK to take, so I've been taking that. Hope she's right. Anyone know if this is OK?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page