Taking 5-Htp (moodsync) while pregnant - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-17-2005, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was hoping to get some information regardgin taking 5-HTP or MoodSync while pregnant. My naturalpathic doctor said it was fine to take, he took me off st.johns wart when I found out I was pregnant and switched me to Moodsync which is a supplement that contains the following:
Mood Sync’s special formula contains:

Tyrosine, an amino acid, that provides dopamine and norepinephrine.

GABA, the anxiety amino acid.

Glutamine, a major inhibitory neurotransmitter.

Taurine, an amino acid, needed by body in times of stress.

5-HTP is The Serotonin Link.®

B6, the cofactor that activates amino acids.

This is my second child and with my first I never took anything not even caffeine, I'm feeling a bit worrysome about taking this...does anyone have any advice? Thank you very much ~ Amy
#2 of 5 Old 10-18-2005, 02:14 PM

Hi, I am not a Dr just someone who has been pg alot and taken many different herbs and pharmacetical. 5 HTP works the same as prozac or paxil--it is the precursor to seratonin and it folows if you flood the system wiht the substrate more prodcut will be produced. I have taken 5 HTP in replacement of prozac while pg. I believe ti to be perfectly safe and my midwife did not have issue with it--she felt better about that than the prozac.

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#3 of 5 Old 11-10-2005, 12:46 PM

Bumping this in case anyone has other suggestions!
#4 of 5 Old 11-10-2005, 03:16 PM

It's important to become familiar with the side effects of 5-ht-p supplements (which are similar to the side-effects of pregnancy ~ which I would not choose to exacerbate! ) as well as the signs of seratonin syndrome. When I worked in a naturopathic herbal I witnessed several cases of seratonin syndrome from the sole use of 5-ht-p, despite many companies' claims.

If you're feeling worrysome about taking it then don't take it! Trust your instincts & modify your diet to include more tryptophan sources.

5-HTP is not commonly available in food but the amino acid tryptophan, from which the body makes 5-HTP, can be found in turkey, chicken, milk, potatoes, pumpkin, sunflower seeds, turnip and collard greens, and seaweed.

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#5 of 5 Old 11-10-2005, 08:18 PM

What Carley says is important to keep in mind. I am taking most of what's listed in your Moodsynch--I'll have to get some! I'd be so much happier taking one pill, at least while I'm feeling pukey.

I got the ok to take all of those things from a naturopath and my mw so I feel like it's very safe. I wouldn't be functioning without it. My opinion is if they let women take Prozac and other SSRIs, though it's shown to have a negative effect on the baby's brain development and the baby can experience severe withdrawel after birth, there is no harm in these supplements. It's very important for you to feel as good as you can in pregnancy.

If you have more questions check out The Mood Cure. It covers all of those items listen in Moodsynch, when you need them and how much to take. It doesn't address pregnancy specifically, but she's an advocate for only taking what you need and to stop when your body is fully recovered.

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page