Tylenol, Motrin, etc. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-01-2003, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
kel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi- this has probably been discussed before, but does anyone know which pain relief medicines are supposed to be safest while pregnant - in particular during the first trimester? This is my 4th baby! and I honestly can't remember which ones are supposed to be "okay".

I'm asking because I get headaches occasionally and I have NEVER been able to find any way of getting rid of them short of taking some kind of pain relief medicine. I can have a headache all day long, go to bed, and I'll still have it the next morning if I don't take something. Hot water bottles, dark rooms and hot showers *help*, but they have never been able to completely get rid of them for me.

Thanks!
xo - Kelly

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#2 of 8 Old 01-01-2003, 07:10 PM

Tylenol is safer than Motrin

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#3 of 8 Old 01-01-2003, 09:29 PM

Definitely Tylenol. Try the smallest dose first (obvious, I suppose). I got horrible headaches for a couple of weeks in the beginning of my second trimester, and did take tylenol a few times. Is motrin the same as advil? I know that you are supposed to avoid aspirin and ibuprofin (i.e. advil, nuprin, etc.).

I hope your head responds well!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#4 of 8 Old 01-01-2003, 10:24 PM

yes, ibuprofen is the generic name for the brands Advil, Motrin, and Nuprin.

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#5 of 8 Old 01-02-2003, 01:38 AM

Agree with the above. Ibuprofen can make you bleed. Aspirin too--along with the other stuff.
#6 of 8 Old 01-02-2003, 05:40 PM

As others said - Tylenol is the way to go.

I have been getting killer headaches almost daily since I got pregnant and was trying hard not to take anything for them. When I asked my ob at my last appointment she said Tylenol was so safe when pregnant it wouldn't hurt if I had to take it every day.

I still try to relieve the pain naturally first - like you said hot showers, etc. . . but I do end up taking Tylenol once or twice a week.
#7 of 8 Old 01-02-2003, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
kel

Thanks everyone!

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#8 of 8 Old 01-02-2003, 06:06 PM

also, ibuprofen in the 1st few months of pregnancy can cause the babys heart to develop abnormally (have holes, murmers etc)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page