Here we go again - high blood pressure - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-02-2003, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My blood pressure was up at my appointment on Tuesday (38 weeks) and I had protein in my urine. With my first this happened too but it started a bit earlier. I was with a doctor for my ds and we monitored, when in for NST and he broke my water and was going to give pitocin if necessary -it wasn't. The whole thing felt out of (my) control. So here I am having planned a homebirth and I am feeling like it is all going to happen again. My midwife is coming over to check my blood pressure tomorrow morning and we will go from there. She gave me some herbal teas to have and I'm taking calcium. I'm supposed to be resting, but with a toddler and a husband that has to work, that is NOT easy. UGH! Of course my stress is not helping.

If you pray, pray that this birth happens soon before too many interventions become necessary. If my blood pressure has gone up the midwives will start refering to an OB. I"m tempted to start trying things to get my labour going on my own.

Rebecca, who needs a hug!
#2 of 7 Old 01-02-2003, 01:46 PM

((((Rebecca)))))))

I'm so sorry this is happening!!!!! Do you have a friend or neighbor or family member who can come and help with your toddler so you can rest? Or can DH take some time off work now to relieve you?

Hang in there and keep us posted! I'll be thinking of you.

-Rachel
#3 of 7 Old 01-02-2003, 02:17 PM

I am so sorry to hear you are having these problems. I had PIH/preeclampsia with my first and this time my bp was up again a couple of weeks ago.

I was told to get lots of extra rest. Either said than done since I have a toddler too! All I know is that you need to remain calm. Mind over matter so to speak. Think low bp thoughts. It has helped me. Also, try to really increase your protein intake - like over 100 grams per day. And drink cranberry juice to stabalize your kidneys. This was the recommendation from a home birth midwife here where I am. I would probably be thinking about natural induction at this point too if I were in your shoes. There are lots of things you can do. Talk to your midwife - maybe she will have advice.

Keep us posted.
#4 of 7 Old 01-02-2003, 05:12 PM

Oh ((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))) to you !! I am 35 weeks and my BP has been fine *so far* but it is always in the back of my mind. Especially since at my last visit I had protein (1+) but maybe its just my kidneys. I had a whoppingly failed induction at 38 weeks for pre-eclampsia (high BP, funky labwork and 4+ protein) last time that resuted in a horrific csection and this time have been doing Bradley/Brewer diet and changed to CNM (but still hospital birth) for this one. I really really really know how you feel and it must be so much worse knowing your home birth is "dependent" on this.

I hope for you that things improve. I'm sure your midwives will recommend all they can, every trick they have to keep you in their care.

(((hugs))) again.
#5 of 7 Old 01-02-2003, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone! Much appreciated. Mackenzie let me sleep for 3 hours with him this afternoon. He won't be going to sleep for his dad tonight but oh well! :LOL

Well, my midwife phoned and I am meeting her for a NST tomorrow at the hospital. So now I need ideas on how to stay calm, be calm in a hospital setting so that I don't get too worked up and cause my bp to up more!!

Rebecca
#6 of 7 Old 01-02-2003, 08:24 PM
XM

Try getting more of your protein from plant-based foods instead of meat & dairy, it's easier for your body to process so less protein is spilled. Also, try taking 1000mg flaxseed oil 2x a day. It lowered my BP, and the EFA's are good for baby, too!

XM
#7 of 7 Old 01-02-2003, 09:39 PM

Have you thought about seeing an acupuncturist? I had hypertension prior to pregnancy and my midwife suggested acupuncture when I started seeing her at 24 weeks. I've been seeing the acupuncturist every other week and taking herbs that she gave me, and it really is helping keep my blood pressure down where it should be. I don't know if it will help at this stage of pregnancy, but you might call and ask.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page