Getting labor started? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-02-2003, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This question is for a friend who is going to have to be induced. She is on blood thinners for a genetic disorder, but obviously they don't want her on blood thinners when she delivers. They are going to take her off the blood thinners a bit early and then induce, then put her back on. She is really disappointed because she wants a natural birth. She will go off the blood thinners a few days before they induce, though. What could she do in the interim to get her labor going without pitocin? How much black cohosh or castor oil? Any other suggestions? Thanks-- I'll pass them along.
#2 of 6 Old 01-02-2003, 02:11 PM

what blood thinners is she on? heparin can have a half life of several hours or days depending on which way she is taking it. as long as her blood isnt too thin (or thick).....

I tried castor oil, raspberry tea, and lots of sex and walking.

sex was the thing that worked for me, all the prostoglandins from my husband coupled with orgasms and breast stimulation worked well. i am sure there are alot more natural mama's out there that can help. but this really worked for me.

i have a best friend who has 6 kids, all of her labors were brought on with castor oil.

good luck!
#3 of 6 Old 01-02-2003, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I am awaiting my first baby later this month, so this is not from my personal experience. My good friend is a shiatsu practitioner in the Boston area. She really likes to induce labor and doesn't charge a huge fee (I think it might be under $100.) Generally she gets labor going within a few hours of the treatment; once she had a woman have her water break on her massage table! Shiatsu is basically accupressure; clothes stay on, it doesn't hurt and it's safe.

On other pregnancy boards I've read good reports of induction using accupuncture.

Hope your friend has success avoiding the dreaded pitocin. If she does need it though, the best thing is to have a practioner who is experienced in giving it in very small increments (again, this comes from reading/listening to others' experiences.)

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#4 of 6 Old 01-02-2003, 09:56 PM

Not to put a damper on things but my midwife told me labors started with castor oil were horribly painful.
Lots of sex worked with me too. Both times I went into labor, dh and I had sex just a few hours before. And lots of walking helped.
Edited to add: if you do try the sex method, make sure to lay with your pelvis up, maybe supported with a pillow or something, for 30 min. afterward so the semen can form a pool around the cervix.
#5 of 6 Old 01-03-2003, 01:35 AM

I would be very very wary of giving any advice to this woman (not you, Rachel, but your friend). She obviously has a serious medical condition, and anything can interfer with that. Many teas and herbals have clotting properties, which is NOT something this woman need. I'm not sure I would even feel comfortable recommending Red Raspberry Leaf tea--how much vit K is in it? Any? I know alfalfa tea has alot, but what about RRL?

Intercourse is best, as previously recommended. She can start taking Evening Primrose Oil at 36 weeks, one 500mg capsule twice a day, and at night she can poke some holes in one and insert it vaginally. This can help soften her cervix, so that induction will work better.

I also think the idea of accupressure or accupuncture, maybe a day or two before the scheduled induction, is a good idea.

I would stay away from all herbals and teas unless she was woking one on one with a knowledgeable naturopath...there can be alot of interaction with herbs and meds, and this could have devastating effects for her. She is already going to be considered high risk...if she has an OB with an itchy trigger finger, that is even worse. If they know she is taking herbs, but they aren't supplied with good info re: these herbs, then any problem that might occur will be blamed on the herbs, the practioner, and the mom. I think the OB should definately KNOW if themom is taking something, that is important. I just want to emphasize the potentials.

Does this woman have a doula? She seems to be a prime candidate for one!
#6 of 6 Old 01-03-2003, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies! Yes, she is hiring a doula. I agree that that will be essential for her. VERY good point about herbs. I will suggest acupuncture, sex, and evening primrose, though. Her OB is willing to try stripping her membranes first, but will move to pitocin if labor doesn't start. What a tough situation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page