shephards purse (tell me more) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-27-2005, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i've read in a few places now that shephard's purse can prevent post-partum hemmorhage.

i hemmorhaged after the birth of my son, and again when i miscarried about a year ago - alot. so, i seem to be at risk.

i've been drinking a blend of red raspberry/nettle/alfalfa tea at least once a day (i'm just entering my 3rd trimester).

i have aviva jill romm's "the natural pregnancy book" and shephards purse is listed under herbs that are contraindicated during pregancy.

so, what's the story with this herb, can someone tell me more? is it safe or not and what exactly is it and what does it do?

thanks!
rowan
#2 of 12 Old 10-27-2005, 11:20 PM

I usually hear of shephard's purse being given in the event of a hemorrhage rather than as a preventative.
#3 of 12 Old 10-28-2005, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I hemmorhaged badly several times during a long drawn out m/c this summer and used it to slow the bleeding. It was effective but I had to take more then suggested on the bottle but blood was litterally pouring out of me so I risked the higher dose.

Seriously?
#4 of 12 Old 10-28-2005, 10:14 AM

Shepherd's purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris) is actually a fairly common little weed (most little weeds have big medicine power). It's called shepherd's purse because the little leaves look like heart shaped purses. It has very high levels of tannins which is what makes it such a great remedy for excessive bleeding (the astringency of the tannins helps staunch the flow). It is used as a specific remedy, not as a tonic. I would say that it is contraindicated in pregnancy for that reason and also because it does contain oxytocin and can contribute to uterine contractions (this is another way it helps stop hemmorhaging...it helps your uterus to contract and clamp down, slowing the bleeding). I have never really heard of anyone using it pre-birth. But it is one of the BEST hemmorhaging remedies, especially combined with yarrow. See if you can find an alcohol based tincture that says it was made from FRESH plant material, it will be that much more effective. (or make your own!)
Drinking RRL and nettles daily during your pregnancy is a great idea. They are both nutritional and uterine tonics, and they are both slightly astringent, and can help prevent hemorrhaging. RRL and nettle tea is also used after birth for (among other things) arresting hemmorhaging and is good to drink if you have heavy bleeding b/c both herbs are very high in easily assimilated iron. (RRL and nettle tea is just such a great all-around, all situation remedy/tonic!)
SO, to answer your question, yes it is safe to use as a REMEDY, not a tonic.
#5 of 12 Old 10-28-2005, 11:45 AM

My MW made me buy liquid chlorophyll in case I hemmoraged. Alfalfa can also help as well, and I took alfalfa tablets in the few weeks before my birth to help with iron.
#6 of 12 Old 10-28-2005, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

thank you so much!!

so, maybe i should get some to have on hand at the birth, just in case.

vermontana, how do you know so much?? thank you!

rowan
#7 of 12 Old 10-28-2005, 10:08 PM

in my opinion, it depends upon why the hemorrhage is occurring. I believe most hemorrhages occur because there is a disruption in the immediate postpartum experience for mom - mainly hats on babies, stethoscopes on babies, rubbing up the baby, etc., and lots of messing around with cord traction, talking, etc.

The single biggest way to prevent postpartum hemorrhage is to leave the mamababy unit ALONE - no talking, no touching!! - for at least the first half hour. No cord traction, no fundal massage before the birth of the placenta. Baby at nipple, even if he/she isn't nursing, but mouthing the nipple. Bladder should be emptied during second stage (a full bladder can create a relaxed uterus=more blood).

I'm not a fan of shepherd's purse because I've learned it can cause clots to form (and, after some thought, when I've used it, there has been a huge amount of clotting that seems to lead to more boggy uteri). If you really want to stop a hemorrhage, using an herb that is specifically going to target uterine contraction quicker and vessel restriction is going to be the best. Blue cohosh, cottonroot bark, or even cinnamon tincture (my fave) are quick, easy remedies that work well.

Just my .02!
#8 of 12 Old 10-29-2005, 12:03 AM

Shepherd's purse is also very high in vit K. I tool it after this delivery b/c I had a lot of bleeding w/ my first 2. Not a hemmorhage, bu I bled like a full period for 6 weeks. I didn't have that this time. I also didn't pass any clots bigger than, I don't know, an M&M this time.

I took it several times in the first few weeks b/c I wanted to up my intake of vit K cuz we opted to not get the shot for ds. It smells truly disgusting while steeping but doesn't taste bad at all.
#9 of 12 Old 10-29-2005, 12:08 AM

Oh, I also should add that a bleeding disorder runs in my family. I've never been tested, but my bleeding an abnormal amount of time could be an indicator that I have it (can't be tested while nursing or pregnant or I'd have been tested when I found out. M dad always told me that only boys could get his disorder, but that's not true. Sure explains my sisters' problems w/ nosebleeds and heavy periods!) I think that's why my mw suggested shepherd's purse in my case. She usually just has women take alfalfa and chlorophyll. I took those, too. So maybe SP isn't for everyne. But I didn't experience what Pamela described. Purely anecdotal.
#10 of 12 Old 10-29-2005, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221
Oh, I also should add that a bleeding disorder runs in my family. I've never been tested, but my bleeding an abnormal amount of time could be an indicator that I have it (can't be tested while nursing or pregnant or I'd have been tested when I found out. M dad always told me that only boys could get his disorder, but that's not true. Sure explains my sisters' problems w/ nosebleeds and heavy periods!) I think that's why my mw suggested shepherd's purse in my case. She usually just has women take alfalfa and chlorophyll. I took those, too. So maybe SP isn't for everyne. But I didn't experience what Pamela described. Purely anecdotal.
The only genetic bleeding disorder thats specific to men is hemophilia and you would know if he had it because they need lots of blood products and such. A lot of hemophiliacs where infected with HIV in the early 80's before we started screening the blood supply. Anyway, women can not get hemophilia.

Seriously?
#11 of 12 Old 10-29-2005, 12:55 AM

Pamela, thanks for bringing up the reasons why hemorrhaging may be happening. I totally agree that the best thing is to be hands off, esp with cord traction and manual expulsion of the placenta, fundal massage, etc. Perhaps a lot of hemmorhaging could be prevented not with herbal remedies, but with a more hands off approach. Also second the use of blue cohosh for hemmorhaging. I have seen shepherd's purse and yarrow work for so long with few issues that I sort of neglect to think of others. Thanks for the reminder.
#12 of 12 Old 10-29-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori
The only genetic bleeding disorder thats specific to men is hemophilia and you would know if he had it because they need lots of blood products and such. A lot of hemophiliacs where infected with HIV in the early 80's before we started screening the blood supply. Anyway, women can not get hemophilia.
Actually, women can get hemophilia, but it's pretty rare. They would have to have a hemophiliac father and a carrier mother.

My dh and ds2 have von Willebrand disease. After finding that ds2 had it and doing the family history w/ the hematologist is how we realized my family had symptoms. Sure enough, called my dad and he said he had a bleeding disorder that he "outgrew," but only boys could inheit it.

Sorry to be OT.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page