Transverse baby - pain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-30-2005, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Two nights ago I felt a huge flip and my baby turned. Problem is I am pretty sure it turned to transverse. I am feeling strong movements on both sides of the uterus, right near the hips on both sides. There is no longer any movement along the top. I have a partial placenta previa (1.3 cm from the cervix at the last measurement) and I've heard that can cause a transverse lie but I have no idea why. I have had 2 c-sections if that affects anything. But the thing is it really hurts! I was laying in bed for 2 hours this morning feeling so sick and achy. It doesn't feel like contractions, it feels like the baby is trying to turn and can't or something. For 2 hours straight it was moving more than I've ever felt (in 3 pregnancies!), just bashing against the two sides of my uterus (lower down by the hips and up a bit). It was actually making me nauseous. My belly looks smaller and wider too. Anyways it was moving tons and now it hasn't moved since 11:00 am (1 hr 40 minutes ago). I'm sure its just sleeping but should I go in if it doesn't move soon? It just seems odd for it to be moving so much and then not at all. I am 24w2d pregnant.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#2 of 2 Old 10-30-2005, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby has been transverse off and on the past couple of weeks - it is so obvious when he is because like you I can feel movements at either side near my hips, I can feel his back sideways across my belly, and my uterus is noticably "empty" up at the top (fundal height even seems lower)...but it doesn't hurt at all. It could be that you are just sensitive in the areas your baby is pushing harder against, or your pelvis is more narrow and therefore it's not comfortable when your baby is transverse...you might have been feeling significantly more movement just because in that position you can feel the baby more than you can when it's vertical. I read other women say that when their baby moves it makes them feel nauseated - could just be the feeling you get when the baby puts pressure on certain organs.

As far as the placenta previa...I haven't heard that, but it does make a bit of sense if the placenta is at the bottom of the uterus, it may be taking up some room down there and the baby may want to go the other direction to stretch out more. Don't know about that.

Overall I'm sure everything is fine (it's likely the baby was wiggling into a comfy position, got there, and went to sleep for a while), but trust your intuition and if you feel you need to make a call I would go ahead and do that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page