Labor: Dull ache or sharp pain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-31-2005, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While I am entering my 41st week and whiling away the hours crocheting things, I got to wondering - what kinds of feelings should I be waiting for? Is labor a dull ache like a menstrual cramp or a sharp ache like a runner's cramp? Or is it different for every woman?
#2 of 9 Old 10-31-2005, 05:57 AM

I can only tell you how it was for me; started like small menstrual cramps and back ache that I barely noticed, then they got more intense and it was pretty obvious I was in labour. Another give away for me each time is that I get flushed and have a huge rush of adrenaline when labour begins. It's a very exciting time!
#3 of 9 Old 10-31-2005, 07:33 AM
Banned

For me I thought I had to go to the bathroom. Severe pains that I THOUGHT were gas/constipation pains (but the worst I ever felt.) I would say it started off quite "sharp" and progressed into more of a dull type of pain.
#4 of 9 Old 10-31-2005, 01:32 PM

The night before I went intolabor I had several mestrual cramps like feelings.
When the actuallabor started, I mostly felt sharp pains in my cervix. I was expecting to feel my entire uterus contract, but for most of my labor I had had extreme sharp pains in the cervix. Then, when my water broke (less then an hour before dd was born), I definitely felt my entire uterus contract. That feeling was more like menstrual cramps.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#5 of 9 Old 10-31-2005, 01:42 PM

mine were sharp sharp knifein the cervix type pain but I had pitocin... so??? I had weenie little contractions before pitocin and they were just like faint echoes of menstrual cramps.... but they didn't hurt. Not until the pitocin kicked in.

hang in there, mama, you will know soon and you will hold that baby afterwards and forget most of it until you get pregnant again... then you will have that 5 minute freakout over the pregnancy test, lol....and wonder what the heck you were thinking
#6 of 9 Old 10-31-2005, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena
mine were sharp sharp knifein the cervix type pain but I had pitocin... so???
I didn't have any kind of labor induction and most of my conmtractions were sharp cervix pains. So I am not sure that it is 100% related.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#7 of 9 Old 10-31-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeria_vi
I didn't have any kind of labor induction and most of my conmtractions were sharp cervix pains. So I am not sure that it is 100% related.

good to know This time around will be different, I say Tired of the old stick a needle in me and tie me to a bed routine 3rd time is the charm...

oops, didn't mean to hijack, lol ((hugs))
#8 of 9 Old 10-31-2005, 01:59 PM

I think both. First labor I had 'typical' contractions - a sharp pain over my whole uterus. Not crampy at all.

Second labor I'd been having low down, crampy menstrual feelings for days which I didn't class as contractions. But when the 'cramps' started coming 10 mins apart, I got suspicious and rang midwife. Still didn't think they were really contractions, she told me rest and drink water (I was only 36w). Within 30mins my water broke and I was having really strong contractions 2-3 mins apart. I must have been in labor with my 'menstrual cramps' all day and didn't know it You'd think you'd know better 2nd time around
#9 of 9 Old 10-31-2005, 02:07 PM

I was in labor with my sharp cervical pains and still didn't think I was in labor. I was expecting that when the real labor hits - I'll feel something in my entire uterus. The sharp pains I thought were effacament and prelabor dialation. so much for being all educated and prepared.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page