Anyone of you subscribing to pregnancy-related magazines? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-06-2003, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious to see if you are subscribing to any preggie magazines, if so, what, and why??
Trying to figure out if it's worth the money...
#2 of 5 Old 01-06-2003, 01:03 AM

I bought Fit Pregnancy off and on during my pg... it didn't really make a huge impression on me, but I liked the glossy photos.

After giving birth (it was a spirtual, fabulous, amazing, tranformative experience, completely painfree labor thanks to HypnoBirthing, hospital setting - blah... but overall, whoa...) I wanted so desperately to do it all over again. I was on a pg high and baby obsessed... I was trying to find books that validated what I had just experienced (not much luck.)

So that's when I started to subscribe to Fit Pregnancy.

Pros - GORGEOUS glossy photos/fashion layouts of pregnant women. It's so nice to see photographs of beautiful pg women (all pg are beautiful, I'm not talking just about "models.")

Tasty sounding recipes, excellent nutritional breakdowns.

Pretty decent BFing articles.

There was always an exercise layout (I just ignored these.)

2 birth stories submitted by readers (always interesting to read.)

CONS - everything else.... the "articles" are so watered down. Not nearly as informative on birth/options/issues as it should be.

Primary focus seems to be on selling advertising to major baby product corporations. Lots of advertisements.

It's a real shame... it's like the editorial staff is afraid to have a back-bone and write strong articles. Or maybe they don't care about establishing a readership... since it's probably just pregnant women buying the mag for a few months, then ditching it... off to the next consumer, uh, I meant reader.

After 2 yrs or so of being a subscriber, I'm just going to let my subscription expire. It's not worth keeping.

I just started subscribing to BIRTH KIT and HAVING A BABY TODAY and MIDWIFERY TODAY (I'm not a Doula or midwife, just a birth junkie) and I don't know why I didn't do this sooner! Sooo much better than FP.

Final note, Dr. Jay Gordon has a regular column Q&A in that mag. He gave a really bland circumcision answer a few months back, which prompted me to write them a 5 page letter... My biggest regret in life is circumcizing my son. I wish I read about that issue in their magazine... something to give me the heads up. It's a big disappointment.

But that's not really why I won't re-subscribe - everything else is.

Tanya
Giancarlo - 2.5 yrs old
TTC # 2

PS Go to Amazon.com and read the FP mag reviews.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#3 of 5 Old 01-06-2003, 12:04 PM

yeah, MOTHERING!!! LOL. Actually, I used to read some at the Dr's office and that was enough for me. And bought a few midwifery magazines single-issue.
#4 of 5 Old 01-06-2003, 03:23 PM

I subscribe to two mags. Mothering, of course, and Compleat Mother. I really love compleat mother, it's a safe place for all people who think 'differently'. It's simple black and white format are very soothing, and the stories are affirming.
#5 of 5 Old 01-06-2003, 03:45 PM

I only subscribe to Mothering. About a year ago we had a sub to some parenting/pg mag, but I can't remember what it was now. I didn't like it.

But, I pick up copoies of Midwifery Today at the HFS sometimes. I've also read The Compleat Mother's website, which is cool.

I got a copy of Having a Baby Today for free from this metaphysical bookshop I go to, but then lost it and couldn't remember the title - I was going to subscribe. Thanks for posting it here, I'm going to subscribe now!

Occasionally I'll pick up Fit Pg or something, if an article looks interesting, but I can't stand the ads and the flashy, consumerist stuff. And all those skinny, pg, model types are disheartening.

Cheers,

Lori

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page