What to eat before glucose test? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am doing my glucose test tomorrow.
My appt is at 1pm, so i will be able to have a good lunch first.

what should I eat? High protein?
#2 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 09:26 AM

Just from my experience, I would say eat something light w/minimal sugar. I had a false positive glucose test (or whatever it's called) w/my first pg, and the follow up test is a major PITA - staying at the lab for hours, blood tests hourly, all on an empty stomach. From then on I just ate lightly before testing and it worked out fine. Good luck.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#3 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 10:04 AM

The GTT is a very questionable test - not reliable, not consistent when repeated...my OB doesn't advocate their use. You can search and get lots of factual info on this board about the GTT if you are interested.
#4 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 10:24 AM

I thought you weren't supposed to eat before the test?? Or is that only with the glucose drink - are you doing another kind of test?

My birth center sent home a bottle of the orange glucose drink with me after my last appt, and I'm supposed to drink it on the way to the birth center next Monday for my appt, without having eaten breakfast first. They did the same thing with my last two pregnancies.

I'm a little nervous about it because I have been eating sweets with abandon - Halloween candy, cookies, etc. I'm going to try to cut way back now, LOL!
#5 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 10:45 AM

Oops double post
#6 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 10:46 AM

I'll be doing the test at my next appt and the midwives told me not to eat for two hours before having the drink. I've been wondering what to eat too.
#7 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 10:55 AM
SMR

When I did mine they said I could eat before drinking the orange beverage but nothing after. I had to drink it an hour before my blood test. I ate cottage cheese for breakfast, since I did not want to add extra sugars.. someone also told me to take a walk after drinking the drink... I hear false positives are very common with this test. Mine was negative, so I was happy!

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#8 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

I was told to eat normally before, drink on way to my appt, then they test blood at 1 hr.
#9 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 01:21 PM

The paper my midwife gave me about it said to eat a high protein breakfast (eggs, toast, etc) and nothing sugary (no juice, fruit, sugar, etc). I would call and ask, just to be sure. I declined the test, mostly for reasons that sandrajoon posted, as well as others I found while doing research on it. It doesn't seem worth the time or risks to me, personally.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#10 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrajoon
The GTT is a very questionable test - not reliable, not consistent when repeated...my OB doesn't advocate their use. You can search and get lots of factual info on this board about the GTT if you are interested.

Your OB rocks!

Do your research ladies.
#11 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am taking home one of my MW's glucose monitors and doing a test after eating regular meals for a day. She told me this is much more reliable than the 1 hour GTT.

Sleepy mom of two (DS-10, DD-7) and 3 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013.  I knit, sew, teach, write, & grow.  

Special needs mom: ribbonjigsaw.gif (ASD) and ribbonred.gif (CHD)

#12 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 07:38 PM

I totally forgot that I was having my glucose test until my appt. which was the day after Halloween!!! Yikes! I freaked out since I knew I had gorged myself for two days straight on candy and hadn't eaten the greatest during that time. I tested normal, despite my fear. I think as long as you're eating a normal, healthy diet you shouldn't worry.
#13 of 20 Old 11-11-2005, 12:57 AM

You can take the GTT as a post-prandial (sp?) which means instead of the bad for you empty calorie nauseaus drink you can eat a regular meal one hour before.

My ND gave me a sheet with the options I could choose - I think I had two eggs, whole wheat toast with butter, and water to drink but you could probably find the info on the web.

Much better than the drink!
#14 of 20 Old 11-11-2005, 01:44 AM

Kind of nosy to poke my head in a thread in which I have nothing to contribute that hasn't already been said, but...

...does it strike anyone else as beyond strange that EVERY SINGLE person who has responded to this thread has been given different instructions? What the hell is this test all about, anyway?

- says Rachel, who has declined the GTT test with my MW's blessing after reading up on it as much as I could
#15 of 20 Old 11-11-2005, 01:52 AM

Yep, I hav mine before my next appt. I had gd with my last pregnancy, so I'm going to take it. Not looking forward to it. If it helps, I've heard beans are really good at helping with your blood sugar levels, so I'm making beans the night before, and having a high protein breakfast in the morning.
#16 of 20 Old 11-11-2005, 02:04 AM

I refused the test. It's inaccurate and useless at best. Damaging at worst by sticking healthy women with a high risk label.

-Angela
#17 of 20 Old 11-11-2005, 04:59 AM

I feel the same as you Rachel. Plus I think if you only eat and watch what you eat the days before the test, what does that do good for?
You can read so much up on the false positive tests, which will make you high risk for no reason. ANIKO
#18 of 20 Old 11-11-2005, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
I refused the test. It's inaccurate and useless at best. Damaging at worst by sticking healthy women with a high risk label.

-Angela
: Have to agree with this ... I'd research it thoroughly before you decide to do it ..
#19 of 20 Old 11-11-2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Dimples
...does it strike anyone else as beyond strange that EVERY SINGLE person who has responded to this thread has been given different instructions?
Yep, one of the reasons I declined it. It seems to have no basis in fact, from what I've read...there are different target levels that are "good" or "bad," and all sorts of inconsistancies.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#20 of 20 Old 11-11-2005, 11:10 PM

I took it post-prandial with DS, but I spoke to my ND and she supports me skipping it this time. I think it's a very sketchy test and really hard to coordinate with a toddler this time!!!!

I haven't told my MW yet :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page