Is cannabis safe during pregnancy??? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 113 Old 02-03-2006, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DO you think the ADD and ADHD correlations might be spurious? A pot smoking mother would be more prone to stick their child in front of a television for long periods of time, which is also a factor leading to ADD and ADHD.
#92 of 113 Old 02-03-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
DO you think the ADD and ADHD correlations might be spurious? A pot smoking mother would be more prone to stick their child in front of a television for long periods of time, which is also a factor leading to ADD and ADHD.
I don't think that moms that use cannabis stick their kids in front of the TV more often than other moms. What would make you think that? Stereotypes of a lazy drug user? Many lazy moms are mainstream non-cannabis users! I have heard from many parents that cannibis makes parenting more fun, makes a parent more engaged and able to relate on a child's level, and enables a parent to have more patience. And many parents only partake after bedtime. I don't remember seeing studies of correlations on ADD and ADHD mentioned before, or if I did, I must have dismissed them as biased in some way.
#93 of 113 Old 02-03-2006, 11:15 PM

Good Evening,

i am so happy to see that we're addressing all sides of this issue. To Dispell Myths and Obtain Truth we must Experience, Learn & Communicate Honestly.

Parenting is a transforming life long journey, a vocation. i know i'm here on this "Natural Family Living" discussion board to share exprience and gain insight on so many diverse topics. Knowing that the majority of this population is seeking gentler ways of Living.

Pregnant Mothers should attempt to effectively Nourish, Heal and Balance themselves as often as possible, allowing for a flow of love in every situation. Nurturing a peaceful atmosphere for her growing child/ren. We'll all fall and faulter. Those who seek to Learn, Educate & LOVE more fully, will persue as many intimate moments as possible with the ones they care for. Weighing obligations responsibly and Making Right Decisions is my objective and the goal of many here.

Peace~*
#94 of 113 Old 02-03-2006, 11:57 PM

i personally cant believe anyone would smoke anything during pregnancy but then i would never do it when i wasnt pregnant either.......

i think the most important thing would be to stop in early pregnancy, thats when the baby is least capable of dealing with harmful effects of drugs and alcohol. but we never know how our babies at any stage of developement will deal with drugs and that is why i personally wouldnt risk it.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#95 of 113 Old 02-04-2006, 02:17 AM

Could the statistics that find ADHD and ADD prevalent in moms who smoke marijuana be a spurious relationship?

Mothers that partake in the studies are likely to allow their children to watch television.

If a mother smokes marijuana after birth she might allow her children to watch television more than mothers who do not get “high.” Therefore, allowing children to watch television causes ADHD and ADD, not the fact that she smokes marijuana.

"EVERYTHING IN MODERATION"
#96 of 113 Old 02-04-2006, 02:32 AM

I apologize for my re-post. I am still getting used to this program.

I did not mean to stereotype in anyway. However, I do feel that “scientists” formulate a hypothesis and stick with it. The mothers in the studies most likely have alternative parenting beliefs than those of us on this forum. If you smoke a joint everyday while you are pregnant, it is obvious that your child will be impaired. However, if you are feeling sick and you need a single “hit” to help you eat, then go for it. A mother that smokes a joint everyday will most likely damage her child. However, if you take a “hit” every once-in-a-while I do not believe that this will negatively affect your child.
#97 of 113 Old 02-04-2006, 02:32 AM
Banned

"Bipolar is a big issue and much research says it's most likely to be negativly effeted by THC Consumption."

I agree, Peace...as I posted earlier. In my opinion, if you're bipolar you should be very careful with marijuana. I'd be more worried about a bipolar mama ingesting THC and becoming unstable mentally than I would for the risks to her unborn child (which studies have proven are quite minimal).
#98 of 113 Old 02-04-2006, 03:50 AM

For what it's worth, the people I know who are regular pot smokers rarely watch TV. (And when they do, it's typically PBS.) None of the ones I know who have kids have allowed their children to watch TV (nor DVDs) until after age two (which we think is great and are adopting that practice for our own child once she's born).

Honestly, when I think about it, the folks I know are the LAST people who would think of using the TV as baby sitter. Two of them don't even own a TV if I recall. They're more NPR people. (One has a "Kill Your TV" sticker on his car even.)

As for me, I'm not a regular pot smoker but I rarely watch TV, and I too suffer from BPD. But I tell you straight up, if it helped me, then I'd consider using cannabis sporadically during pregnancy, as it's a medicinal HERB and as such, can have both positive and negative attributes during pregnancy.

I agree that moderation is the key, and you jsut have to weigh the pros and cons. Thing is, although it doesn't help me, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good fit for someone else. Just isn't for me. Neither is alcohol, btw. So I avoid them both. I've had just enough succes with homeopathics and nutritional supplements during this pg to make things bearable for the most part, but there are some days when nothing helps.

And so I've had to choose whether to take certain prescription drugs on occasion, while pregnant, which is very discomforting. But those are times when the need outweighs the risk -- and it's different in every individual case and as such should be considered carefully on a case by case basis, and not made into some generalized judgment, whether you're talking OTC drugs, prescriptions, or cannabis.

There's a difference between choosing to use a medication (whether it be a prescription or an herb) to treat something that is potentially harmful to the mother or the child, and using a medication for recreational purposes.

And when someone suggests pot smokers are lazy parents, they're making a huge assumption that anyone who uses cannabis does so for purely recreational purposes.

That's pretty naive.

And honestly, I know plenty of radically anti-cannabis people who praise heaven daily for DVDs full of mindless crap and a TV chock full of reality shows and screaming media -- both of which are the perfect drool-inducing baby sitters for their offspring.

And that's a lot more scary to me than the thought of someone using an herb for medicinal purposes.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#99 of 113 Old 02-04-2006, 04:33 AM

for all who are commenting on "smoking during pregnancy", the OP already stated that she is using a vaporizor because she hates the smoke. I think that needs to be cleared up, as many replies are just opinions about smoking. The topic is about whether or not actual cannabis (not smoke from it) is safe during pregnancy, with regards to her having bipolar disorder.

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#100 of 113 Old 02-06-2006, 03:57 AM

So much about this thread has made me want to laugh, cry, and pull my hair out.

For the questions about using pot with bipolar disorder at all; didn't the OP already say that it helped her? So why be concerned about it making things worse? It's true that some people with bipolar disorder suffer seriously adverse effects from using pot, but it's just as true that others derive great benefits from marijuana. The same can be said of every single medication used to treat bipolar disorder today.

The "I would never do it" crowd, or the "I'd rather suffer than ingest anything like that during pregnancy;" I'm glad that you haven't had to endure any serious pain or a debilitating condition during any of your pregnancies. I think that you should count your blessings and move on. A splitting headache doesn't compare to the havoc that something like bipolar disorder can cause in your life. I speak here as someone who not only suffers from bipolar disorder but from some unbelievably painful headaches (I count myself lucky that I have only had a few migraines in this pregnancy, for example, and that I haven't had any cluster headaches in more than 10 years). Given the choice between, say, daily migraines and a manic episode during pregnancy, I'd take the migraines every single time, in a heartbeat. I'm glad that you've never even felt the need to take a tylenol during your pregnancies, but not all of us are that lucky. There are levels of pain which are literally debilitating, which make some of us unable to function and we don't all have the luxury of just going to bed to deal with them. We have to do what we have to do to get through the day. Sometimes it's not pretty.

Bipolar disorder is a real disease, and it's a scary one. Some women are lucky; their symptoms go into remission during pregnancy. Most are not so lucky, the hormones throw everything farther out of balance than it was before. Untreated active bipolar disorder is very, very dangerous, and in my (very informed) mind, it presents a great risk to any children, in utero or out. Studies have shown, for example, that extreme stress during pregnancy is definately dangerous and a risk factor for all kinds of problems in newborns/infants/toddlers/children (including things you'd think to be totally unrelated, like juvenile diabetes). Bipolar disorder brings new meaning to the words "extreme stress."

How stoners treat their kids-- there are many, many different kinds of people who use marijuana out there. Anyone who's seen Half Baked could tell you that. Seriously, though. Some stoners are the "stuck in the 60's/70's, free love hippy" type. Some are the "30 years old and sleeping in mom's basement type." There are people who use pot to get high every day, every weekend, once a month or less often. There are people who use pot every now and then for specific reasons (i.e. to deal with pain or nausea) and people who use it regularly for medically indicated reasons (cancer, AIDS). My guess is that the overwhelming majority of people who use marijuana do so ocasionally (no more often than twice a month) for social reasons. As a friend of mine once said, "I've got this social problem that pot fixes." I think that a lot of people feel that way. Perhaps people who smoke more frequently are doing it to escape some stress in their lives, but I think that adults who watch a lot of television are doing the same thing and, quite frankly, I think that the pot is probably healthier.

And this quote:
Quote:
To the OP, I would simply ask- what did people do before bi-polar was considered a disease? Before there were drugs available?
Before bipolar disorder was considered a disease, and before there were drugs available, people sufferring from severe manic or depressive episodes had different options available to them. If they were wealthy, they were put into expensive sanitaria where people spent a lot of time and energy trying to keep them from hurting themselves or anyone else. If they were not wealthy, they were put into crappy, warehouse-style hospitals until they could be experimented on, treated with shock therapy, or lobotomized (sometimes all three). Do you think that shock therapy would be a safer thing for a pregnant woman to consent to than a little bit of pot? Really? Or should she be looking for someone to perform a lobotomy? I know, a lot of people think that this was only done to schizophrenics, but the fact is that it was often done to people with bipolar disorder (and not just those with psychotic features). In fact, because bipolar disorder is more common than schizophrenia, I'd be willing to bet money that most lobectomies were performed on bipolar patients.

All that said: I haven't smoked pot since I found out that I was pregnant with my son. Before that, I smoked occasionally/rarely (I probably averaged 5 times a year). I am bipolar, and recently I have been experiencing symptoms of mania (hello, it's nearly 2 am and I'm wide awake and posting here). I've also suffered from hyperemesis (in my first pregnancy) and severe, debilitating pain (in this pregnancy). If I had access to organically grown marijuana, I'd feel very comfortable taking a few hits right now. Because I don't, I'm trying to control my pain and my mania with other chemicals that are (for me) either a) much scarier or b) less effective. What choices do I have? Well, I could suffer with the agonizing pain of sciatica (no, it's not something else, it's actual sciatica and it sucks royally), and spend all of my time in bed, unable to roll over or get up to use the bathroom without help and more agony, and yelling at my kids instead of, say, feeding them and playing with them and doing other normal, necessary parental things. Or, I could take a vicodin and, once it kicks in, accomplish the things that I need to accomplish to take care of my children and maybe get a few things done around the house, while I'm at it. I suppose that most of you see this as a choice, and some of you as a choice that you would never make, but for me there's no question: I will do what I have to do to take care of my children. I think that the dangers of not taking the pill are greater for all three of my children than they are to one of my children (the BellyBean) if I *do* take it.

I'm not going to tell anyone that they shouldn't smoke pot during their pregnancy, nor that they should be taking any of the many, many other drugs which are currently used to treat bipolar disorder. I know all too well how scary it can be, and I think it's probably safer to continue to use a little bit of pot that you already know works and that is still working than it would be to attempt to start a whole new drug regimen with drugs of unknown (or known) efficacy and saftey in any particular individual.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#101 of 113 Old 02-06-2006, 04:29 AM

I really do need to visit MDC more, I miss some good stuff.

Re: ADD/ADHD: It is my opinion that the real danger in causing ADD/ADHD and similar disorders is, if not genetic, from sources such as vaccines, food dyes, high fructose corn syrup and all the wonders in formula, as well as plain old food allergies, which I believe to be link to vaccines as well, but it's all speculation as the goverment will never allow such studies.

Re: Natural vs Unnatural medications: Everything on this planet is made from something. Even synthetic material comes from things harvested from our earth. Right or wrong, good or bad, just because something is directly from the earth doesn't make it bad, nor does it make it good. Everything just is and everything has it's side effects. I take Imitrex while PG. Foolish? Possibly, but the risks of having a migraine for weeks on end with everything that goes with it (high blood pressure, etc) are harder to live with. I've been pg with one child while on Imitrex and BF 2 and they're fine, and this pg is going fine as well. But the way some doctors talk, and some normal everyday people, you'd think I was taking meth. It's all subjective and each individual has to do his or her own research and decide for themselves what will work.

I'd probably give my left arm to be able to find some weed and try it out on a migraine, but I just don't know anyone, let alone anyone who smokes.

It IS very scary to live in America these days. I want to leave. We should be able to decide for ourselves and our own families what is best. IMO, all drugs should be legalized with punishment going to those who harm others under the influence, just like alcohol.

(love how most of the posters have kept this thread so calm!)

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#102 of 113 Old 02-06-2006, 11:00 PM

I personally would never do that. I feel guilty if I drink a coffee, lol... I do have a friend who swore up and down that weed is what enabled to her to be able to eat anything during pg. It was so bad she was hospitalized and put on some kind of meds for m/s. So she just decided to stick to the weed instead. She is a serious weed smoker though. She smokes on the d-a-i-l-y.

The child came out normal and weighed 8 pounds however, I have found her (and all of her children for that matter) to be rather slow. They have problems in school, learning to read and so on.

My advice would be not to. Say NO to drugs.
#103 of 113 Old 02-07-2006, 08:34 PM

I personally like the MJ, but I just could not do that while pregnant...not that there aren't times when I'm tempted...and I get all the arguments that you mamas have, but the postings on this discussion that resonate with me are the ones where you've seen babies that are slow or when mamas blame themselves for something that went wrong. My hubby watched a video of the fetus reacting to smoke in his stop smoking class and said it was heartwrenching.
I am neither the judge nor the jury, like I said I like the MJ myself, bu tnot while pregnant or BF'ing...those are crucial developemental times that you may never ever have back...why risk anything? You only get this one chance to give your babies the very best...
#104 of 113 Old 02-07-2006, 09:34 PM

Yes smoke is not good for you or the baby. That is why vaporizing marijuana (or any other herb for that matter) would be safest.

And I can say that I smoked all through pregnancy and mostly vaporized after ds was born...and he is definitely not "slow" in any means. All babies are different.

#105 of 113 Old 02-08-2006, 02:40 AM

My good friend (in her early 40s) smoked MJ all through her first pregnancy (read - every day, when she was 20) and her son is now in his early 20s. He was a straight A student. Never brought a book home.

My sister is pretty slow. She had speech problems till she was 7 or 8 and still takes a while to "get it" when it comes to learning. My mother never smoked anything in her life. My parents don't drink ever.

Sometimes children are just slow. Sometimes children are just really bright.

Most people I know who use MJ are anti-TV. In college I would read avidly while stoned and NEVER watched television. I would rather write, read, clean, or go for a walk out in nature while stoned. TV is pretty... um... brain-deadening. We don't even own a TV, but we do have a library of about 3,000 books We have a record collection (dh and I are both musicians) of about 1,000. Dd is growing up listening to jazz, classical, and folk music mostly. She attends piano lessons with me.

We do not partake anymore b/c of legal considerations. We both support the decriminalisation of MJ and hope that the US regains its senses one of these days (and not just about that)...

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#106 of 113 Old 02-08-2006, 10:11 AM

Personally, I would rather watch tv than smoke weed. I recognize that there are people out there who smoke on a regular basis and carry on normal day-to-day lives; they go to work, they pay their bills etc. However, I know a hell of a lot more people who just live to smoke weed. My brother was one of them. Fortunately he's had a wake-up call, and realizes he's gotta do something with himself. I've seen the decline of people who smoke a lot. And I'm not talking about casual weed smokers. I'm talking those people who smoke for breakfast lunch and dinner with snacks in between :LOL. It kills brains cells and it shows. This has been *my* experience.

If my friend who I mentioned in a previous post was home all day and didn't work, she would just smoke. So, she smoke from the time she gets home until she goes to bed. She locks herself in her room, and her 5 children look after themselves while she gets high.

Also, we've all seen people who've had the worst prenatal care deliver healthy babies, and those who did everything "perfect" deliver a child with a disability. I think that that's a poor reason to say it's okay to smoke weed during pregnancy. Ultimatlely we have little control over how babies come out, but I would try to do my best to give my child the most optimal chance for healthy development.

This is my not so humble opinion: pothead = loser.
#107 of 113 Old 02-08-2006, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I can see that abstaining from marijuana has elevated the level of your discourse, Momof3girlz. Or, perhaps televison has reduced your capability for civilized repartee? Television is documented to affect neurological development, encourages sexism and racism, and fuels a consumerist, xenophobic culture.

Anecdotal evidence about your brother being a loser, or your friend being an addict, does not prove that marijuana harms every fetus, or even any adult. Marijuana prohibition- (which kept paper and liquor magnates in power, read about it sometime) in the western world prevents real studies here about neonatal effects of THC. Someone posted links earlier but here is one to a Jamaican ethnography of neonatal outcomes again: http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/...can-babies.htm It is difficult to remove prejudice, and difficult to comprehend how the dominant culture (capatilist MJ prohibition) has brainwashed us.

But back to your 2 examples, and prejudice. I might say that 2 black men live across the street from me. One wakes me up every other day at 7 am (today, perhaps?) talking loudly on his cell phone and starting his mufflerless car. The other lets his pit bull run loose in the lot across the street. Am I to state then that black men=inconsiderate of their neighbors? I would never stoop to such ignorant extrapolation myself. But perhaps others believe such to be justified.
#108 of 113 Old 02-08-2006, 04:05 PM

[QUOTE= But back to your 2 examples, and prejudice. I might say that 2 black men live across the street from me. One wakes me up every other day at 7 am (today, perhaps?) talking loudly on his cell phone and starting his mufflerless car. The other lets his pit bull run loose in the lot across the street. Am I to state then that black men=inconsiderate of their neighbors? I would never stoop to such ignorant extrapolation myself. But perhaps others believe such to be justified.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I don't watch very much television Provocativa. I simply stated that I would rather watch t.v. than do drugs. I believe that too much tv can be detrimental as well. Television consumption really wasn't the point. The point is that In MY Opinion smoking illicit drugs would be inadvisable -- especially during pregnancy. If you want to justify drug use, of course you are going to point out everything that you believe supports its so called benefits. People use all sorts of studies to support their cause as well. As a Jamaican Canadian I don't support the drug business. Not all of us do despite what you may be thinking according to your study. Do you know anything about what is going on in Jamaica right now? You should study up on that.

As to my brother being a loser I didn't say "my brother is a loser" I said pothead = loser, and if he had remained a pothead I wouldn't mince words to call him a loser. I also don't recall saying my friend was an addict (please don't put words in my mouth). However, she was admittedly a crack addict some years ago, but has since stopped. I also mentioned that her baby came out healthy, just a little slower developmentally. I realize that not every child is going to suffer ill effects from drug use during pregnancy, however, I do believe that even one child is too many. Wouldn't you?

Edited to add: 1 Cor 6:12 "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any."
#109 of 113 Old 02-08-2006, 10:13 PM

Hi All,

Are we commenting on the original Post anymore...?
Maybe This could be a New Thread or join with the disscussions on the MJ Thread

Be Well, Peace~*
#110 of 113 Old 02-09-2006, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am not advocating drug use. I am advocating freedom of choice. Marijuana is not a drug, it is a plant. It is a plant which grows naturally on this earth. It has medicinal therapeutic properties, and non-life threatening side effects. It can also get people high. It has been used for thousands of years. Pharmaceuticals are drugs, which are artificially synthesized in labs. They have only been around for a short time. They have medicinal therapeutic properties, and serious, life threatening side effects. Many also get people high. Documented among these side effects for the baby from antidepressant use are pulmonary hypertension, heart defects, and withdrawal syndrome at birth (see antidepressantfacts.com). This was in the news this morning. Bipolar disease is often treated with other drugs than just antidepressants (usually a mood stabilizer), and those drugs also have serious side effects. Even the pro big pharma folks admit to the manifold risks:
http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...s;105/4/880/T4
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/410736
http://www.healthyplace.com/communit...regnancy_5.asp
Shouldn't the OP have the right to choose? Minor, not clearly documented risks vs. major risks? Wake up and smell the Prozac! Pharmaceutical companies and allopathic doctors are the drug business.
#111 of 113 Old 02-09-2006, 05:55 PM

:

well said! Though... I do personally consider MJ to be a drug, but it's certainly not dangerous in the way that any of the legal drugs (including caffeine which many people on this board use during pregnancy because it's not considered a drug though it's quite dangerous when taken in excess) are. Nobody has ever died from its usage except through violence or circumstances (such as the fellow who swallowed a bag of MJ when stopped by the police - he died from the bag) which were perpetrated by the war on drugs.

Don't any of you think that if there were serious effects of MJ that it would be carefully documented? If it was really as harmful as they say it is then there would be mountains of evidence instead of twisted 'scientific" reports.

http://www.jackherer.com/chapter15.html

There is a summary of just a few so called "scientific" studies and how they were changed to depict something that wasn't true. These studies have been used for decades now to keep the war on drugs going strong against MJ. Many of you have heard the "results" of these studies, but the results that were published (to most people) are far different than the results that were actually found.

Who profits from this? Police depts who get to keep the proceeds from drug seizes. Drug testing companies whose products can only really confirm that someone has used MJ because the other illegal substances are out of people's systems too quickly for drug testing to really be of any use. Drug detox companies who make money off MJ users who have to be drug tested to find a job because in the "land of the free" we're judged based on what we do on weekends rather than on our abilities and work ethics. The prison industry that has more than doubled in the last couple decades because of the war on drugs and mandatory minimum sentencing for people caught possessing MJ. Not selling. Just having and using for personal reasons.

It's a freaking PLANT. God (I'm Christian) or Nature (if you prefer ) made cannabis. Man made pharmaceuticals.

Anything can be abused and cause danger to the abuser. Everything from TV to Aspirin to Opium (in the form of Morphine and Heroin generally). Caffeine causes severe addiction and sometimes death if abused, and it's marketed to preschoolers!

Since everything can be abused then either everything is dangerous to use or everything should be used wisely and in moderation. If we tell people that anything is dangerous then the appeal of the forbidden will ensure that many people who never would have thought of trying something will try it. The rates of drug abuse have gone UP since drugs were made illegal.

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition:
http://www.leap.cc

Okay... I'll stop now.

I haven't been online much lately... so thank you those of you who have kept up with this thread

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#112 of 113 Old 02-10-2006, 02:34 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself!
#113 of 113 Old 02-10-2006, 02:42 PM

Thank you for getting back to the point! (sort of )

So...where is the op? I wonder what she's made of all this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page