My Placenta has dropped at 20 wks-Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2005, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my first u/s today and they told me my placenta has dropped and is blocking my opening. She said that it's not that uncommon and that most times it will move back on its own. They scheduled another u/s in 4 wks to see if it has moved. If not she said I could experience complications like bleeding and would have to be closely monitored. Has anyone experienced this before? Any info? I am trying not to be freaked but it's hard. I knew something was a little off. Because I have a hard time bending over and if I sit too long especially forward it feels like I fall asleep above my pubic bone and it is very uncomfortable. I was thinking that the baby was just low and causing the problems.

On top of that the baby was sleeping in a breech position knees tucked under chin feet tucked under butt and she was unable to tell us the sex. We were so bummed. I was crying at my apt today as it was very emotional. I think I am feeling stressed because I am not exactly a young woman anymore. I will be 38 when this baby is born. Please send some loving vibes to me and my baby. Thanks, Tina~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2005, 02:54 AM

I am a first time mommy to be..but I belive this is called "Placenta Previa".
Old 11-17-2005, 03:22 AM

I've never heard the term "dropped" used before. Your placenta doesn't move, so it can't drop as far as I know. Your placenta implants in your uterine wall-some implant lower on the uterus than others, and it is not terribly uncommon to be diagnosed with a "low lying" placenta or placenta previa (marginal, partial, or complete) at 20 weeks, which means that your placents is either close to, partially, or fully covering your cervix.

As your uterus grows with the baby, the place where the placenta is anchored may "stretch" to be higher up relative to your cervix, and the placenta previa is resolved (and should not lead to any complications)-think of a deflated balloon-if you make a mark with a pen near the bottom and then blow the balloon up, the mark does not seem as close to the bottom anymore, even though it hasn't rwally moved-make sense? It would be helpful to know how close your placents was relative to your cervix as close/marginal placentas are more likely to resolve than full placenta previas.

I was diagnosed with a low lying placenta at 20 weeks (and was put on "pelvic rest" i.e., no activities that could result in orgasm) until a follow-up ultrasound at 32 weeks. In the interim, I switched practices, they said the pelvic rest thing was bunk, did a follow-up US at 30 weeks, and the LLP had resolved.

As for your second concern-it is also not at all uncommon for a baby to be breech at 20 weeks-it has MONTHS to turn, why be in a hurry? Sorry you were disappointed not to find out the gender though-I like delayed gratification, so I didn't/don't want to know myself, but it's always disappointing when you can't get the information you desire. Better luck during the next US!

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

I did some research after I posted and read about placenta previa. My mind was in such a whirl wind that I couldn't remember the name. After reading about it I wondered why she she described it as dropping too? Your explanation was great and I could really understand what you were saying. When I left the office today I was really thinking that my placenta was capable of moving as in flip flopping positions. My doctor said nothing about pelvic rest. Do you think I should do that?

I have great faith in my body but I still feel concerned. As far as the baby being in a breech position that doesn't concern me. I was using it to describe what I saw. You know when a baby sleeps with their butt in the air? That's how it looked on the u/s. Peaceful sleep. I was just disappointed because I really wanted to know the sex.

Thank you for responding. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance from another mamas who have had experience with placenta previa. And can tell me everything is going to be alright. Tina~
Old 11-17-2005, 06:12 AM

Everything will be all right! Even if the placenta doesn't "move", it will still be all right. C-sections are not desireable, but you *can* have a very good experience with one, especially if you know ahead of time that it will be necessary (BTDT). Then you can have a VBAC next time around!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Old 11-17-2005, 07:37 AM

I had a marginal previa and my placenta moved out of the way. Don't panic yet! You've got lots of time.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:22 AM

Don't be too worried- you have another u/s in not too long, and hopefully they will see it's resolved itself, and maybe you'll get a peek at the gender!

It's good to know if you have this, though, if it doesn't resolve- there are absolutely things you can do to mitigate the risk of having placenta previa, so don't worry too much! You're way safer than not knowing, and going into labor with that condition, which can be really dangerous.

Sounds like our babies were in the same positions in the u/s- actually. I was told it was normal!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:45 AM

Hi! I was "diagnosed" with placenta previa at my last u/s also, and have always had it with all of my pregnancies early on. I think I read that, like, 9 out of 10 placenta previas do move. I really don't like it when they don't explain that seeing this so early on isn't a big deal, that they almost always resolve!

As for you baby in breech position, that's also incredibly common. Your baby will be doing all sorts of flipping and summer-saulting (sp?) right now, there's so much room to move! It's not until into your third trimester that baby will turn into a heads-down position and stay there. And, even if he/she doesn't immediately, still have faith, I've heard of a lot of babies turning at the last minute.

I wouldn't stress out about any of this until later on. These are all things that are common in early pregnancy, and only serve to worry mamas unnecessarily. If you start spotting or bleeding, call your ob, otherwise don't worry!
Old 11-19-2005, 12:28 AM

I was just diagnosed with complete previa at 12 weeks. It was really hard to hear at first, and hearing that a c-section isn't so bad just doesn't help! The general consensus is that mine is likely to resolve since it's so early, and you've also got that stats on your side at 20 weeks. Previa is diagnosed 10 times more at 20 weeks than at term!

Be sure to PM me when you get your next ultrasound. I'm sure it will be good news and I all about the positive stories right now!

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
Old 11-19-2005, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for responding. I am totally relaxed about it today. I finally got a hold of a friend of the family who has been an ob nurse and worked neo natal for the past 20 yrs. Between talking with her and all the wonderful mamas who wrote I am feeling much better. I was really shaken for awhile. I think its the age thing. I think I was just doubting my bodies abilities. I know when I go in for my next u/s that my placenta will have moved on its own. And I already know I am having a planned c-section so it's not like I am freaking about a natural birth. Although I would give anything to have one. Thanks again, Tina~
Old 11-20-2005, 01:12 AM

I had marginal previa at 20wks. Honestly it's a meaningless diagnosis because 90% of them resolve by term. Why they even bother mentioning it, I don't know. Why are they bothering to repeat the u/s after only 4 wks? That doesn't make sense to me. If it's still there, you're going to have to keep going back for repeat u/s until it is clear.

I had repeat u/s at 32 wks and it was clear.

BTW a friend of mine first found her placenta previa at 32wks but by 36wks it was also clear.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

The real reason I am going back in 4 wks is because they weren't able to see all of the babies heart because of the position the baby was in and a couple other organs. My dr also wants to see if there is any improvement in the Previa. But really it's because of the heart. My son did the same thing for my first u/s. They couldn't get him to hold still long enough to get all the pictures of the organs and heart or his sex. So I had to repeat the u/s in 4 weeks.

When I was talking to my friend who is the neo natal RN she said there seems to be a much higher occurrence of Previa in women with previous c-sections. This may explain why I am experiencing this now and not with my first pg. She said she thinks it has something to do with the scar tissue. And that almost always it corrects itself. I am totally not sweating it. I am grateful that I get a second shot and finding out the sex of this little one though without having to wait until 32 wks. Because that would have likely happened had they been able to see the heart and such. Tina~
Old 11-20-2005, 02:57 PM

Placental problems are more common after a c/s. I had a c/s also with my first.

But this finding placenta previa at the 20w u/s is common to all I think. I think it's a legal issue. The Drs see it there so they have to tell the patient the info but it's meaningless if 90% of them resolve by term.

It's only useful to know in case someone wants to do an internal exam. You shouldn't have internals when you have previa. But then they shouldn't be doing internals that early anyhow.

User Tag List