Medical records? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-11-2003, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
has anyone here successfully gotten ahold of their medical records from an obstetrician? i am going to ask for mine and am just wondering if there is anything i should know. i'm in oregon, if that matters.
#2 of 26 Old 01-11-2003, 03:58 AM
Banned

Yes, I have all my medical records. According to the law, they are YOUR records, they are your property and you have the right to copies of them at any time you want.
Sometimes, you will run into obstacles. they will try and tell you that you can only have the 'transcribed' records, or that you cannot have them without your Dr.'s permission. that is all BS.
In fact, go straight to records, demand the manager (?) or whoever is in charge (it's not the manager, I am forgetting their 'proper' title) and tell them you want copies of your medical records right now! Believe me, it'll be easier that way, unless all your records are at the same dr. you've had your whole life, then he/she will probably have no problem giving them to you.
My dd's pediatrician is/was my pediatrician (I'm an adult, so I guess he's not my pediatrician anymore, huh?) and he had no problem giving me copies of my records and my dd's records.
The hospital was another story. Also, the small clinic I visited once in the middle of nowhere...but, fortunately, after the mention of 'my lawyer' they immediately made me copies and I was on my way lol!
#3 of 26 Old 01-11-2003, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
TAke a cel phone with you. If they say no just tell them to hold on a minute while you call your lawyer. That will get them moving.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#4 of 26 Old 01-11-2003, 10:19 AM

I'm working on getting a hold of mine right now. I live in a different state so I can't just walk in and get mine, unfortunately.

I was told I had to submit I written request for them - which I did over a month ago and I still haven't received them. I'm trying to be patient, but if I don't get my records in a week or so I'm going to be calling them again. If they claim they didn't get my letter or whatever I'm going to see if I can fax them a letter and they maybe could then fax me back my records.

I'm not in a huge rush b/c I'm not due until June, but I do need them in order to have a VBAC my doc requires proof of the type of incision I had during my surgery. So it's important I get my hands on my records.
#5 of 26 Old 01-11-2003, 02:19 PM

I got mine, just the prenatal, birth part, it wasn't a big deal. They are the actually records, just photocopied. I had to submit a request in writting, they gave me a form, I think it took about a month from start to finish, with both ends of the mailing, and such, for me if I went over cetain number of pages there would have been a fee.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#6 of 26 Old 01-11-2003, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Helix
has anyone here successfully gotten ahold of their medical records from an obstetrician? i am going to ask for mine and am just wondering if there is anything i should know. i'm in oregon, if that matters.
Yes, I faxed my OB with a typed letter of what I wanted. It went something like this:

Please forward the Medical record for _____, Date of birth_____ to the address below. Please include a prenatal and labor and delivery record with progress notes and lab results.

Thank you for your expeditious processing,
Signed dated and then typed out below.

I was amazed to see all my labs, and the fact that there were so many LIES about my labor ( pt admitted in early labor and later rec'd Pitocin for augmentation)

Fact: scheduled induction!!! But now that I know there was no medical reason, they had to make something up. ugh.
#7 of 26 Old 01-11-2003, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

all right that is a good letter. I copied it but not exactly. I wonder if they will let me see them? I have been success full with getting records from other doctors so i will just see.

I think they may have slipped pitocin in my iv bag, despite my wishes and their promises to not do it. I know some places require a week or so before you can see the records and it might be to cover up stuff like that.
#8 of 26 Old 01-12-2003, 01:27 AM

They slipped pitocin in my IV bag with dd#1. it really pi$$ed me off.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#9 of 26 Old 01-12-2003, 11:43 AM

Quote:
They slipped pitocin in my IV bag with dd#1. it really pi$$ed me off.
Grrrrrrrrrr. How on earth can you stop that? Just have someone in the room (doula) who is savvy and knows to ask questions? "Hey what is that?" Or your savvy (yeah right) partner? I wonder if it's written on the bag.

A doula I interviewed once did say that she saw "stuff" (sneaky stuff by OBs) all the time... like the OB who had a hook under the gown and tried to break the bag of waters without telling the mother.

Anyway, thanks for posting that letter... I've been meaning to get copies of my son's ped records (for vax's) forever. Now I'll do that AND get my hospital records as well. I'll just cry when I see that they gave him formula (something I suspect.)

Tanya
Giancarlo - 2.5 yrs old
TTC # 2

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#10 of 26 Old 01-12-2003, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanibani
I wonder if it's written on the bag.
Yes any drug put into an IV bag is written on an orange drug label and placed right on the bag- at least at every hospital I have ever worked ...
#11 of 26 Old 01-12-2003, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

I read something that said if pitocin had a color you would see it in the iv bag of every laboring woman in the country. Also that they only need your permission if they give it to you before labor; they have to have your consent to induce you but if you're already in labor then it's just considered "augmentation" and is a routine procedure.

I wrote on my birth plan that all iv solutions needed to be prepared in my presence and i had to see all labels, but when the time came I was so out of my mind with pain that I did not have the energy to argue. Then after she was born a nurse said to me "there's pitocin in the iv to help your uterus contract." I had to nurse and walk around and go to the bathroom and sleep with the durn thing in the whole time. so it's possible they could have just injected it as she was being born but it also could have been in the whole time.

Should there be a next time I will just refuse all iv's. that's the only way I can be sure.

But, before coming to the hospital I had been in labor 24 hours, and then an additional 14 hours in the hospital. If i had had Pitocin it wouldn't have taken that long, would it?
#12 of 26 Old 01-12-2003, 07:38 PM

My CNM said no and the nurse did it anyway. She saw it in my chart. Ihad never heard her speak in anything but a very calm tone even when my pregnancy and labor took a turn for the wierd and then dangerous but I could hear her screaming at that nurse from down the hall. She satyed right by me (on my bed ) until the IV was unhooked.

#13 of 26 Old 01-13-2003, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Well I went to the office today and filled out a release form and they didn't give me any grief about it. I made sure to act all nice, and they said it should take a few days to a week. It was free too.

So I'll just anxiously wait...

Also when I was in there I noticed that the VBAC issue of Mothering I so sneakily planted there a few months ago was gone! This could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending upon who removed it.
#14 of 26 Old 01-14-2003, 09:52 PM

Ooooooooh, KeysMama, like your bit about specifically requesting the "labor progress notes!"

I requested mine in writing & got my stuff no prob. I also requested my records from the hospital, since all the stuff was not in one place.

I did not get any sort of labor 'progress' notes, w/ times, which is something I really wanted, since the day was kind of a blur!!!!!
#15 of 26 Old 01-17-2003, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Well I got mine today but they were really hard to read (doctor handwriting!) and not very detailed. There was nothing on there about pitocin but then I noticed the hospital stuff was not included - I guess I have to ask for that separately.

But they did write in the chart that I was "defensive" and "antagonistic." HOW DARE THEY SAY THAT! I AM NOT! i'LL GET THEM FOR THIS.
#16 of 26 Old 01-18-2003, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I like how in my records they mentioned my daughter's name instead of just calling her a "viable female infant." Even in the postpartum records she was mentioned.
#17 of 26 Old 01-18-2003, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
You should know that when you have no problems in labor or delivery, the doctors write in their record that the birth was "unremarkable".

In California, there is also a score card on the bottom of the birth certificate in which a mother's birth history is recorded for statisitical purposes. This records the mother's

1. total number of times pregnant.
2. number of live births.
3. number of miscarriages/stillborns.
4. number of abortions.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#18 of 26 Old 01-18-2003, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dotcommama

I'm not in a huge rush b/c I'm not due until June, but I do need them in order to have a VBAC my doc requires proof of the type of incision I had during my surgery. So it's important I get my hands on my records.
Show him the scar!

Chelly
#19 of 26 Old 01-19-2003, 01:14 AM

Chelly...

That only proves she's HAD a C-section...

They need the med records to see how her uterus was cut into.. Whether it was a low cut nearer the bottom or whether it was vertical down her entire uterus... If it was the later, i don't know of many dr's who will do a vbac because of the risk of uterine rupture...

Warm Squishies...

Dyan...

P.S.

The only reason i know this is because our 1st was c/s due to breech, and our 2nd was vbac because of the low uterine incision...

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#20 of 26 Old 01-19-2003, 02:20 AM

WOuldn't the cut on the outside (scar) show how it was cut on the inside?
I mean if you have a small scar very very low down, how could the cut on the uterus be very different?

I have a scar very low down - I'm assuming that means the uterus was cut also in the same place.

Chelly
:
#21 of 26 Old 01-19-2003, 02:25 AM

Fraid not...

They make the incision on your skin a bikini incision so you could cocievably wear a bikini.. They then pull your uterus out and place it on your tummy and cut it open too... (that's what that sheet screen is for so you don't see it.. ) There is no way of knowing what your uterine incision is unless your dr has told you or it is listed in your med records..

I have a friend who has repeat c's for medical reasons, and the dr's open her along the same bikini line to remove her uterus, and then she was one incision low on her uterus, and one that is vertical on top of the low on because the 2nd baby was too big to come out of the 1st incision scar once they re opened it...

I hope that makes sense... I''m not a dr or anything, but that's my understanding of the process...

HTH...

Warm Squishies...

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#22 of 26 Old 01-19-2003, 04:03 AM

Dyan,
I have a video of my c-section, they didn't pull the uterus out like you're saying.
They made one cut, through all the layers, used a thing that looked like a SHOE HORN to keep it open, and they then pulled my son out.
I'll watch my video again, but they didn't pull the uterus out like that - perhaps they do for some cases, I don't know.
Chelly
#23 of 26 Old 01-19-2003, 10:35 AM

Chelly2003 - it is possible to have the scar on the outside not match the scar on the inside - b/c when my doc said I needed my records to prove the type of incision I had I said the same thing to her, "Well can't you just look at the scar?" Apparently they don't always match. The doc that did my section told me I would be able to have a VBAC someday, so I know he performed the low incision (at least that is what he told me before he had me on the table).

Anyway, I still haven't got my darn records and I've got to call them again this week and see what's up.
#24 of 26 Old 01-19-2003, 01:09 PM

I've thought to myself that perhaps even if the cuts were done at the same level, perhaps they moved when healing up.
Does anyone know if a u/s will show where the scar tissue is from the inside?
:
Chelly
#25 of 26 Old 01-19-2003, 07:37 PM

Chelly - From what I remember reading somewhere I don't think an u/s will accurately show were scar issue is.
#26 of 26 Old 01-19-2003, 11:20 PM

Chelly - depends on the Dr. and how they learned to do it and how willing they are to change. I am sure there are some who still do the verticla inscission because it is just what they learned to do even if they are willing to do the lower inscion through the top layer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page