natural Induction vs hospital Induction - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-11-2003, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there

Some of you may have followed my earlier post about my recent discovery of having high blood pressure. I went to hospital on Friday after my midwife expressed concern about my high blood pressure to ensure that I wasnt having preclampsia and to rule out other complications (since I have diabetes wanted to make sure baby was still getting all nutritions from placenta and so forth).

Dr was thinking they might have to induce me that day, but after discussing with Chief Dr of hospital they decided to postpone and to just monitor me carefully over the next two weeks or until baby decides to come earlier.

I am in my 38th week. Its my second pregnancy. I have type one diabetes and using pump insulin (have good control).

Dr says baby is big (bigger than my first one was) (I think due to dh gene...since he is smallest in his family and dd was a big one at 8pd 8oz). So they think my body is exhausted.

Lately since hbp I noticed I am feeling tired more and finding more pressure on my pelvic and legs. Not sure if I am just more aware or more concerned so I notice these things more.

Anyway... I am thinking if I can try to induce the baby naturally in the next few days it is probably best for me and baby. I dont know much about hospital inducing but I read that sometime they dont work so well and lead to c-section. My mom was induced for one pregnancy and it didnt work and they had to do c section after she was so exhausted.

Please send me all your tips for natural induction and let me know if it worked for you and what weeks you were at.

Also baby head is still high as of Friday. Today I tried to do lots of dancing and pelvic movement to help rotate the baby. Also went for a good walk in the chilly winter air. (as well taking dr order and resting, dh did all housechore today and cooked!).

I am nursing my toddler too so hopefully that will help induce as well.

Thanks for tips as I am so exhausted and am worried for both me and the baby sake. I hope I have energy to give birth and would like to give birth soon.

stephanie
#2 of 12 Old 01-11-2003, 09:02 PM

In my understanding most/all of the natural induction methods really only work if your body is ready or close to it already, if not, nothing happens. Now the thing is this is pretty much also true of the hospital induction - which is why the high rates of c/s etc. I understand your reasons for wanting to start things moving as soon as you can, and in your shoes would probably do the same. I personally would start with my homeopath and/or with acupuncture. Most homeopaths and acupuncturists won't try to start labour until you are "overdue", however, they might be able to help in your situation - or they may try to help with the some of the symptoms that are causing the problem in the first place.

I strong BH the whole way through from 16 weeks, but when I noticed they felt just a little different DH and I started having sex a lot more and this quickly brought on prelabour and then labour for me, so I recommend elisting DHs help :-). Also I think it is great that you are being active, I would keep that up, but keep the stress levels down.

Some women use castor oil, I personally wouldn't so I don't really know that much about it and can't give you any advice about how to use it.

Good luck!
#3 of 12 Old 01-11-2003, 09:08 PM

You could check at the midwife archives there is a ton of info. and suggestions.

I went 41 weeks (10 days past edd) with my dd. I was taking evening primrose oil (it acts as a prostaglandin, which I think can soften the cervix) capsules for the last month of my pg. In the last week when I was at 40, we tried to have a lot of sex (really easy when you're really pregnant : ), at the point when my mw said that if I didn't go after the weekend we'd have to talk about having her at the hospital, not at home, I tried castor oil. yuck. mostly I think it just cleaned me out, but didn't get labor started. I also used homeopathic remedies of black and blue cohosh.

with the natural induction methods I think it just nudges the baby-but the baby still comes when it's ready

wishing you good luck and a good birth
#4 of 12 Old 01-12-2003, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used b;ack and blue cohosh. I don't remeber what amnounts I used but I used what ever the book "Wose woman herbal for the choildbearing year" recommended. It worked great.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#5 of 12 Old 01-12-2003, 01:05 PM

i guess its the mans sperm that produces the realise of hormones that can bring on labor. my husband will be gone during the last 3 months of my pregnancy so i asked him if he could give me a sample.....hahaha.

i remember pumping to try and bring it on but you are already nursing so that should help. definately take black and blue cohosh with your midwife aware of it. i know that its very delicate and you can take too much. my midwife wouldnt even recommend one of them because it was too strong.

any gravel roads in your area. i dont think it works and its not comfortable but we always used to do it in the country.

good luck. i think everyone is right if the baby isnt ready not much can make it come out

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#6 of 12 Old 01-12-2003, 01:37 PM

Hi Stephanie!!!! I finally tracked you down, YAY!
I'm sorry your having such a rough time. I went almost 2 weeks overdue with Akira and found it helpful to book a massage that last week. It really helped to relax me, plus the massage therapist claimed many women went into labour after leaving his office (I didn't though). As it got closer to when they wanted to induce me I started taking blue and black cohosh. It would increase my contractions, but they never went anywhere. I also walked several kilometers per day. I finally went into labour after a 3 hour hike through the coulees (including a couple of trips up all the stairs that lead to the lookout points). I do think all these things helped, but in the end it came down to his being ready to be born. He was still really high almost right until I went into labour. Try not to worry too much, take some time for yourself in these last days. Good luck and happy, healthy birthing vibes
Laurie

#7 of 12 Old 01-13-2003, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

ok new update

Sunday Midwife came and did Acupuncture on my leg to help start contraction or bring down the baby (today was at dr and they said the head is much lower compared to Friday! Yay!). I did feel some things in the night so I guess it worked. I also been doing some belly dancing and went for walks on the weekend.

Blood pressure still high. Been drinking lots of fluid, water retention looks better.

Midwife gave me some homeopathic remedies for my hbp.

Dr says today that I still have high blood pressure. They dont like it but not much they can do just monitor me. They did EKG and baby looks ok. On Wed they have scheduled for me to have a 'Stress Test' (will put me on a drip for 3 hours same type of drip that is used for inducting) and they will monitor me and the baby and see how we can handle the labour. If it doesnt look good then will do emergency c section. If it looks good, then wait till baby comes or induce me on my due date.

I asked if they need to do the stress test due to my hbp. They said no, its because of my diabetes. (strange since first time I didnt need this test, and dr told me I could go beyond due date even). I guess all hospitals have their standards regarding diabetes and birthing.

I am a bit nervous about the Stress Test thing. The Dr did say she is positive that I wont need c section and that I can deliver the baby normally (even if to her it 'normally' means with induction).

When she announced baby had dropped since Friday, I said 'yes! The acupuncture worked!'. She told me there is something that works better than Acupuncture... I asked what she said 'sex'. haha. Ok Guess what I will be doing tonight!! Anything to get this little one to come before all these interventions.

My dh had me meditate today and asked me to think when do I want the baby to come. I couldnt think of a date, but the image I saw were two images flickering back and forth. First small images of me in water birth (my dream) and then me be operated on. I then focused on the positive image and held on to it till the image stopped flickering between the two and I felt more at ease seeing myself in the water relaxed with the baby in my arm. So I guess it means I will get to have this goal (even if I have to be induced that it will end up being a water birth).

My dh was surprised and happy since over the weekend I said, just let them do what they have to do in case of emergency. I want the best for me and the baby. I am so determined to have natural birth like first time, but at least I had that wonderful opportunity. I would like to help our child travel safely into this world as well despite my high risk situation due to hbp.

Anyway...so that is my update. Thanks everyone for cheering me on and all your advices. Its snowing here (finally after a brown and rainy christmas). I stood outside today after spending all morning in the hospital and let the snow settle on my face. Ahh...nature. Definitely a winter baby!

If any of you have good tips on relaxing and meditation, I would like that pls.

Hugs
stephanie
#8 of 12 Old 01-13-2003, 07:16 PM

Stephanie,

I have to admit I didn't entirely read everything in your last post, I'm glad that the baby decended. If you have high blood pressure though you should look up info on Dr. Brewer and the Brewer's diet. My sis. had high bp with her last and found out about it after the fact. He is a natural dr. and has conducted his own studies on this, basically from what I understand his recommendation is exactly opposite from what you hear recommended from your ave. dr. Increase your salt intake and keep active. I just know from my personal experience, every single one of my friends who have had preeclampsia and went on total bedrest and decreased their salt intake always end up having their babies early or are induced/c-section. It makes you wonder why the dr.s haven't clued in earlier. So I actually think it's a very good thing that you've been so active. I would check into it just to help bring down your bp nad buy you and your baby some more time.
#9 of 12 Old 01-18-2003, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

All the natural induction worked!! Especially Sex on the morning labour actually started. Not sure what triggered it the most, but so glad everything helped to 'kick start' labour. Acupuncture, homeopahtic remedies, Sex, and cleaning the house (I moved furnitures the beds around in bedroom on day labour started!!).

I am home now and ds is now 4 days old.

stephanie

P.S. I had a waterbirth too!!!!
#10 of 12 Old 01-18-2003, 08:44 PM

Congratulations,
I'm so glad the birth went well for you. Enjoy your precious new ds!!
Laurie

#11 of 12 Old 01-18-2003, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
thank you so much for posting that! I'm so happy that you got to have a waterbirth and that you and the baby are in good health! Congratulations.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#12 of 12 Old 01-19-2003, 03:47 PM

Awesome, Stephanie!

So glad it worked for you!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page