Mothering Forum banner

Would your breasts be sore if you are pregnant but still breastfeeding?

64K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  3 Little Monkeys 
#1 ·
I'm having some symptoms that are having me think that I might be pregnant. Except that my breasts arent sore at all and they always get sore when I'm pregnant. I'm still breastfeeding, so would that make a difference? I hope that this hasn't been asked too many times before. Thanks in advance

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm 10 weeks, still nursing, and don't have breast soreness this time around. I had a couple of brief periods of achiness, but they only lasted for minutes or hours. *Lots* of nipple soreness, but that took a few weeks to get started. Of course, a lot of stuff has been different this time around, but I've been thinking that the lack of breast soreness might be because they're already in use.

#6 ·
With my first pregnancy, the very first symptom was incredible overall breast tenderness. OUCH. With my second and third pgcies (12 wks into the third right now) I was nursing a toddler and had absolutely no breast tenderness. With this one I've had some nipple irritation (not pain, but *tickling*, which is maybe worse
: ) I think that bfing really does reduce that initial breast pain.

I've heard that it doesnt' work the same for nipple soreness though, for all women. It's very individual.

#9 ·
It really varies from woman to woman. For me, breast changes were one of the first signs with my 1st and 3rd pgs, but I didn't notice any breast changes at all when I got pg while nursing. That time, my only sign was lack of AF, and I was all set to write Sheila Kippley a letter about how I resumed amenhorea while nursing becuse my DD increased her nursing so much- but I took a pg test first just to make sure. Sure enough, I was pg. I had plenty of sore nipples later in the pg, and reduced supply, and nausea, and fatigue, but nothing in the first few weeks.

#11 ·
I think every pregnancy is different. Before having ds, I never had sore breasts. Not during AF or while pregnant. However, after AF came back after he was born, I did notice some soreness during AF and now that I'm pregnant they are pretty sore. But it's possible I just didn't notice the soreness before because I didn't have a baby/preschooler nursing off of them.

#12 ·
Time to get out the old preg test!!!!!

My first sign that I was preg with #2 was sore nips! That was my only "clue" that I was pregnant because DS was only 9mths when I conceived and I never had a period --- we just caught that first postpartum egg!
or
By the time I "knew" I was pregnant I was already into the 2nd trimester!

Keep us posted!!!

#14 ·
With my first two Dd's, sore breasts were one of my first "symptoms," with this one I haven't had any soreness & this is the first pg that I've nursed through - so yes, I think nursing can diminish the pain.

#16 ·
Mine were NOT sore this time around (they were SO sore w/dd). That's part of the reason why I didn't know I was pg until just last week... and I'm already 20 weeks!
: I am still nursing, never really got af back, and just honestly didn't know.
I've heard people say every pg is different, but I didn't expect them to be SO different, yk?

So yeah... take it frome me - when in doubt, take a test.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Satori
I had sore nips right off the bat, felt like she had a mouth full of razors
I'm so glad she weaned right before I got preg again.
: My breasts have been tender this entire pregnancy (I'm currently 24.5 weeks). My nipples aren't tender until my son latches on (he still nurses about 4 times per day) and then it's like Satori said ~ feels like he has razors in his mouth. OUCH!

Definitely go POAS! GOOD LUCK!!!

#18 ·
I didn't have any tenderness at all in my breasts this time, this is the first time I was nursing when I got pregnant. Around 8 weeks or so my nipples were SO ultra beyond sensitive, I got tears in my eyes when dd would latch on, my clothing rubbing over them hurt it was so bad! She weaned about 2 months ago and they've been fine ever since - still no tenderness either. This is really odd for me because I ALWAYS have super tender breasts for almost the entire pregnancy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.