Eating meat while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-13-2003, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, I've been vegetarian/vegan for about two years now. Now that I'm pregnant, I keep wanting meat (namely chicken). Did anyone else go through this?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#2 of 15 Old 01-13-2003, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know lots of people who experience the same thing. For me, I never eat red meat except when I'm pg -- then I crave it. I think it's your body telling you what you need -- for me that's a stronger source of protein. How long has it been since you've eaten meat? I'm not a vegetarian, but don't you need to ease into reintroducing meat slowly so it doesn't make you sick?
#3 of 15 Old 01-13-2003, 06:32 PM

Hey Phathui, I had the exact same thing. I was a veggie for 6 years and when pregnant with ds, had huge chicken cravings, and did eat chicken and turkey through the pregnancy. I ate it the first 3 days after ds was born, and then had my usual aversion to it. Same thing this time, I've been indulging in the birds, and I expect to have no problem going back to my veggie ways after the baby's born. I decided it's just my what my body needs. I know lots of moms who stayed veggie through the preg, but my body wants protein and lots of it! I do use only free-range, antibiotic free chicken though.
#4 of 15 Old 01-13-2003, 06:39 PM

Just like the other mamas, I too was a veggie through all three pregs. And each time I had strong cravings for meat! I know that it is definitely your body telling you that it is lacking something. Protein, iron? I just let myself go with it.
#5 of 15 Old 01-13-2003, 06:50 PM

I was veg for 20 years. In my last preg (6 yrs ago) I was interested in the idea of meat but couldn't bring myself to prepare or eat it.

I've been preparing some organic meat and chicken for my kids over the last few years (long story) and have tried an occasional bite - last week I found myself very enthusiastic about a piece of organic fillet steak! This comes after months of nausea and vomitting and extreme fatigue (I'm nearly 16 weeks), and being completely turned off by my usual beans and lentils etc

if your body is calling out loud and clear, I'd listen up

like GB's mom suggested, ease into it though, as it's strange to your body, and stick to good sources of organic or biodynamic

I used to have a very strong aversion to eating meat, now I see it as a useful dietary supplement
#6 of 15 Old 01-13-2003, 07:04 PM

It was hard for me, too. I had been veg for 10 years or so, and then BOOM! And guess what else? I have been totally grossed out by chicken, so it is beef all the way. Our grocery bills have gone way up -- organic beef isn't cheap! Oh, well. I am confident that I will go back to veg after delivery. At least, I *hope* so!

And meat of any kind did not appeal to me at *all* pre-pregnancy.

Oh, AND I eat eggs nearly every day, as well.

I say, go with the flow...

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#7 of 15 Old 01-14-2003, 07:58 PM

I'm experiencing the whole beef thing too! I normally stick to free-range chicken and good, fresh fish pre-pg, but during pg they don't sound good at all. It's been beef, beef, beef all the way! So far my body's been pretty good about it, likely b/c it's used to processing poultry meat. But I have heard that some folks have a difficult time with eating meat if they haven't in a long time...Glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this "beef" craving!!
#8 of 15 Old 01-15-2003, 04:14 AM

I was veggie before I had my first son and had the total beef craving thing as well. I just went with it and soon after I had him, meat was gross again, so I stopped eating it.

This time around everything grosses me out-beans,lentils, beef, chicken...whatever. Any kind of heavy food seems to make me kinda sick still - and I'm 33 weeks,lol! I just try to force down whatever protein I can during the day. Lots of eggs and brown rice, and salmon and occasionally chicken or turkey- no beef this time, though. My midwife has had me supplement a soy protien shake everyday, I love it and it helps me get to that seemingly unattainable 80g of protein a day!
#9 of 15 Old 01-15-2003, 04:51 AM

Hey, I have been a veggie for almost 11 yrs and started eating meat with last pregnancy. I have to admit being very disappointed in myself and kind of grossed out. I eventually came to feel i needed to do what was best for my baby and body and listen and trust my body. I know you can have a healthy baby with a vegan/veggie diet, so no worries there. This pregnancy I will do the same, listen to my body. I remember tho, as I type this, how I could not eat chicken, it just wouldn't go down!! It smelled so good, but I couldnt get it down. Turkey once or twice was good and I had a couple of hamburgers.
Lots of great books with balanced tips on staying healthy.
blessings
#10 of 15 Old 01-15-2003, 12:19 PM

I've been vegan for 4.5 years and during my last pregnancy I sometimes craved chicken. Only a few times, and it was specifically chicken fajitas from Taco Cabana. I knew I'd never actually be able to eat it though. Anyway, I just started fixing myself veggie fajitas a lot and the craving went away. Looking back I think it was the salt I was after, not the chicken. And if you are looking for reassurance you can have a healthy veg*n pregnancy...I gained 43 pounds (42 pounds with my non veg*n pregnancy), and had a wonderful homebirth with an 8 lb. 4 oz. boy. My iron levels were fine also.

If you do eat meat, I'd really encourage you to eat organic! Good luck with your pregnancy.
#11 of 15 Old 01-15-2003, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mamamaya
My midwife has had me supplement a soy protien shake everyday, I love it and it helps me get to that seemingly unattainable 80g of protein a day!
What is an example of 80g of protein? Like 2 steaks or 3 eggs and one hog jowl?

Can you give me some ideas?

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#12 of 15 Old 01-15-2003, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MistyD
I sometimes craved chicken. Only a few times, and it was specifically chicken fajitas from Taco Cabana.
Misty, this cracks me up! During the early part of my pregnancy, I had to have Taco Cabana potato and egg tacos! If I tried to make them myself, I would barf, and I if I didn't have the TC tacos, I would barf, too!

I am going to show your post to DH who thought I had *lost* my mind for a few weeks. Mainly, b/c I never eat stuff like that! The last time I had been to TC was in HIGH SCHOOL!

Jean

#13 of 15 Old 01-15-2003, 01:46 PM

And, me too! In high school I was ALL ABOUT the T.C.. Fun times....
#14 of 15 Old 01-15-2003, 06:46 PM

Jean asked what it would take to get 80 grams of protein. I took Bradley classes and followed the Brewer diet (www.blueribbonbaby.org) or is it .com? has good info. I just looked in the fridge and a cheese stick has 7 grams of protein, a cup of nonfat milk has 8, an egg has 6. So no, a few eggs will not do it.... although they are recommended by Dr. Brewer! Can't remember now what chicken, beef, etc. was per ounce. If you are vegetarian, it is usually tough to get the 80 to 100 grams of protein recommended during pregnancy. If you are a carnivore, it is not too hard if you keep note of what you eat. At least that was true with me and my friends (both meat eaters and vegetarians).
I eat meat though only red meat probably a few times a month. EXCEPT when pregnant - then I eat it a few times a week. It just sounds good then.
Kirsten
#15 of 15 Old 01-15-2003, 11:09 PM

Jean-
What is a hog's jowl?!
I'm not sure if you were seriously asking but, according to my midwife, and Bradley classes, you need between 60-90grams of protein a day! Here are some of the more "high protein" foods and the amount of protein they have...(I have these hangin from a list on my fridge)

cottage cheese...............................40g per cup
Tofu.............................................. ...35g per lb.
Meat or fish.....................................20g per serving
Yogurt............................................ .10g per cup
Cooked soybeans...........................22g per cup
Hard cheese...................................13g per 2oz.
Granola w/milk/soymilk...................about 10g
Peanut Butter.................................5g per 1/2 cup
Rice, grains, coconut.......................8g per 1/2 cup
Wheat germ, nuts,seeds, beans....12g per 1/2 cup
can of tuna......................................27g
soy protein shake............................16g
(with yogurt, about 25g)

Happy Eating!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page