hibiclens and group b strep: when? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2005, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found lots of good info here about using hibiclens (and garlic and drinking kefir, etc), but not the answer to this: next week, I'll be having a gbs test. the birth center I may be using insists on antibiotics if you're gbs+. I was gbs+ with my last pregnancy, but at a place that did not insist on ab's (and my water didn't break anyway, and the baby was fine).

Do I just need to use the wash once before having the test or do I need to use it several times before having the test????? How long before the test do I use it (like right there, in the bathroom, before my appt?).

Thanks!!!!!

Mama to four great girls: 14 , 12 , 7 and 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2005, 11:37 AM

Do the midwives require the test to deliver there? I delivered at a hospital, unfortunately, but I declined the GBS swab and antibiotics in labor.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, they do insist.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:37 PM

Can you elaborate a bit on having this bacteria and what it means during pg/labor? There is a selection of "quite safe" (i.e. have been tested) antibiotics for pg women out there, and if you take them with probotics, it isn't the worst thing in the world. Can get the baby get the infection during labor? If so.. is it a realistic risk assesment to *not* get treated for it? Is this something a lot of women have? I"m curious to hear your opinion about it. -j
Old 11-29-2005, 02:23 PM

Not to hijack but I'm with the OP on wanting to learn more -- because if you get the antibiotic then you have to come in to the hospital and do so early in labor because you have to have at least two shots within so many hours of one another, which means no home birth and no laboring mostly at home -- at least that's what I was told.

I'd love to hear more about hibiclens -- I've never heard of it! Anything to prevent me from spending most of my labor time at the hospital....

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 11-29-2005, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some other Mothering threads about GBS and Hibiclens:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...ight=hibiclens

I think these answer most of the questions my post brought up. If anyone reading does know when use hibiclens to have a negative test, please let me know!

Old 12-04-2005, 06:24 AM

If you are gbs+, does that mean your mother was also gbs+ when you were born? If that's the case, the fact that you are alive should proove that gbs is not much of a threat. Also, the statistics say something like 40% of women are gbs+. That's a high number, but the % of babies who have complications of gbs is relatively low. 1 of 1000 or something, and the fatality number is even lower. Also, it's only a risk if certain factors appear during your labor, like water breaking early or other stuff. One of the midwives at my hospital practice told me that it's not a mandetory test (in that hospital) and that it's not anything I should feel obligated to worry about.

User Tag List