Stripping Memebranes...yay or nay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2003, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stripping Membranes...Yay or Nay?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am going in to see my OB today and today is my due date.
Last time I was pregnant, she stripped my membranes at about this time, but she didnt' tell me, she just said she was going to check to see if softening had started, adn then she just did it!
I was very upset with her at the time because she didn't ask, and because it did nothing to start labor! All it did was make me spot and cramp for 3 days. I still went over for 2+ weeks...

So, I have a feeling she will want to do that during this visit to "get things moving" (you know how some docs are so anxious to get the show going...)
And I am curious what you all think about this procedure in general?

It is hard for me because I really like her. She's a cool OB. She breastfed her daughter until she was 3, and she is kind, calm and supportive,but she is so eager to do this kind of thing and it is hard for me to say no to her when I'm in the actual office...my will power dissolves.....

So, fill me in ... quickly cause my appt is in 1.5 hours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2003, 01:08 PM

Happy Due Date Day!

IMHO and from the training I learned in my doula class, I would ask yourself/her the following question: Is there any medical reason to do this? Probably not, it was just "routine" the last time.

So I would vote NAY.

Good Luck~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
Old 01-14-2003, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I would too! I don't even know what it is actually DOING?!
LOL

Do you know what it is?
Old 01-14-2003, 01:30 PM

I had it done three times, on three successive midwife appointments - I was overdue by almost two weeks, and I didn't want to have to go to the hospital for an induction. Not fun, but the last one definitely did the trick for me.

If you're not overdue I would say don't do it - the baby will come when it's time.

Basically a strip and sweep means an insertion of a finger into the cervix to separate the bag of waters from the cervix. This releases prostaglandins and can help kickstart labor.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 01-14-2003, 01:36 PM

I did it with my last baby, and it didnt work.

however, if you want the least amount of intervention, say pit v strip and sweep, obviously i would go for the strip & sweep.

i have friends that have had this done with great success. it just didnt work for me.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:17 PM

i had mine stripped with my first, would vote nay. it make the contractions more harsh i think, having just delivered my second (still lurking on this board even though i am SO not pregnant!). in general, my second delivery was so much better than my first, and the membrane stripping is what prompted everything the first time, so i guess that prejudices my opinion, but having read about it after the fact, i think if you can avoid it i would. although, since it's your due date, i'm sure that's a motivator....i went 3 weeks early on my recent delivery, so never had to make the decision this time. best wishes!
Old 01-14-2003, 04:00 PM

I had the ol' stripping done and didn't have any cramping or labor or anything from it.

I wouldn't do it again, because anytime a vaginal exam is done, bacteria is introduced to the cervical area--and when membranes are being PURPOSELY disturbed, there is an entryway for bacteria, and possibly a problem.

NAY.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

I just got home.
I told her in advance NOT to strip the membranes.
She was cool with that and now we wait

Thanks mamas!
Old 01-14-2003, 04:28 PM

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
Old 01-14-2003, 10:30 PM

Kudos to you for standing up for yourself!!! I don't feel there is any reason to hurry these things along... I trust my baby to come when it's ready and for my body to nourish the little one until that time comes! Happy waiting - I'm right here waiting too!
Old 01-15-2003, 04:28 PM

I think any doctor who performs a procedure on you without asking first is not a good doctor, no matter how 'cool' she is or how friendly she is. If you can't trust her to ask for your consent to strip your membranes, when can you trust her? Stipping membranes is not a casual thing, and can cause problems. Sounds like she was more interested in controlling things, which was not her job, than in making sure you had a safe birth.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

User Tag List