crib mattresses - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-14-2003, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

I've been lurking for quite some time, and finally have a question that I'm hoping someone will have some imput on.

Our first baby is due in April , and we're busy now shopping for everything we need. What we're having trouble with is what kind of mattress to get for our crib. Do we go with the regular matresses from the store we bought our crib from, or do we pay extra for a natural/organic mattress? The mattress at the store will definetely fit our crib perfectly and is firm enough. It also got a top rating from consumer reports. But at the same time, how healthy is is for our little one to be sleeping on a mattress that is all synthetic foam and plastic?

We don't mind paying more for the organic mattress, but I'm worried about ordering one that is too loose for the crib or is not firm enough, and then not being able to send it back.

Any ideas or experience with this?

Thanks!

becca
#2 of 5 Old 01-14-2003, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Before you drop a ton of money on an expensive mattress make sure you will be using your crib We hardly used ours and so our regular matress was fine. If you feel an organic mattress is important then definitely get it. Do you sleep on an organic matress? I would get the regular on but i would let it air out very well before putting my baby on it.

As far as size goes, cribs are a standard size and don't see any reason why a matress bought somewhere else wouldn't fit just as tightly in the crib.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 5 Old 01-14-2003, 06:46 PM

We went to a local futon place. They made us a mattress stuffed with fiber that isn't organic, but hasn't been treated with fireproof stuff (we had to sign a waiver and get a letter from our midwife). It was about $80. Our midwife thought it wasn't stuffed enough, and they stuffed it again for us for free. We could have had it made with the fireproof stuff, or organic.

Of course, now he sleeps between us on our mattress. :
#4 of 5 Old 01-14-2003, 08:47 PM

I say wait to buy the crib until after your baby is born. I didn't and it was a waste of space and money.

Most of the people I know whose babies do sleep in cribs don't start using them until the baby is at least three months old, at which point it's usually pretty easy (relatively speaking) to get out of the house for some shopping.

Just my two cents...
#5 of 5 Old 01-16-2003, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

The only problem with waiting is that I'm not sure what we'd do when baby is sleeping and we're not. We have two very cuddly cats, and we wanted to have the crib set up with a crib tent on top to keep them away from baby. Are there other options?

We're leaning towards just buying the organic mattress and hoping it's firm enough, but how do you tell? Everything I read just says "buy a firm mattress." But even the ones at the store vary a lot. Some are hard as a rock and others feel more like our own mattress. maybe I'm jsut thinking too much abotu this, but I want to do best for baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page