Measuring small? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-03-2005, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all!

Up until this point, I have been measuring exactly as I should for how many weeks I am. We just had our 28 week appt yesterday, and suddenly I'm measuring 1 1/2 cm small. So although we had planned on NOT having an ultrasound, the doc has ordered a fetal assessment. I will find out on monday when our appt is, but it will be sometime this week.

Anyone else measuring small? The baby feels very low to me...like, it's going to fall out low...so this may be the only reason. I'm not sure what other reasons there may be, other than that the baby is not growing as fast as he/she should be. I don't feel too concerned yet though, I really feel that this baby is healthy. I'm wondering if it may also be that I'm thin and tall, and have only gained about 9 pounds total so far. (Doc says my weight gain is great though, and that shouldn't affect it)

On another note - I think we *may* find out the sex of the baby. Up until now, we've just assumed it would be a surprise because of no ultrasound. But now that we have the chance, I think it is just too tempting!! I'm quite excited about that!

winn

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
#2 of 8 Old 12-03-2005, 04:16 PM

When you say, "measuring small", do you mean with a tape measure?
#3 of 8 Old 12-03-2005, 05:13 PM

Some weeks I measure right on, other times I measure 1 or 2 cm small. At my last appointment (31.5 weeks) I measured 30 weeks. My doctor never seems worried as long as I've grown from the last appt. There's probably nothing wrong, but having an u/s may put your mind at ease. As a fringe benefit, seeing that little one on the u/s screen is amazing and I was happy to find out the sex too. Good luck!
#4 of 8 Old 12-03-2005, 06:02 PM

i measured straight on until 36 wks then i measured progressively smaller. my son was 9lbs 10oz. just because your uterus is measuring small doesnt mean somethings wrong with the baby. the measurement could be off because of the way the baby is lying or a number of other reasons.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#5 of 8 Old 12-03-2005, 07:50 PM

At 11 weeks I was measuring something like 10 weeks and 3 days. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
#6 of 8 Old 12-03-2005, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I do mean measuring small with the measuring tape.

Thanks for the responses, I'm glad it's likely nothing to worry about!

winn

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
#7 of 8 Old 12-03-2005, 08:21 PM

Just wanted to add that when the baby starts to drop into the pelvis you will measure small. This pg the babe dropped at 32 weeks causing me to measure 30cm and he/she has stayed put! Midwife is not concerned at all as the babe feels like "a good size" . I'm not worried as I KNOW how low this babe feels!

momma to 4!
#8 of 8 Old 12-03-2005, 08:47 PM
JAL

I have measured 2-3 cm small my whole pregnancy. (almost 36 weeks now) My midwife has said that it is nothing to worry about. Probably due to the way my body is carrying the baby. Baby seems to be a good size and I have gained 30-35lbs!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page