Natural Ways to Lower/Keep Blood pressure normal - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-06-2005, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!!

I am just wondering if anyone knows some natural ways to keep the blood pressure normal and/or lower high blood pressure. My midwife mentioned calclium supplments and fish oil. Anythiing else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-06-2005, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslimah
Hello!!

I am just wondering if anyone knows some natural ways to keep the blood pressure normal and/or lower high blood pressure. My midwife mentioned calclium supplments and fish oil. Anythiing else?
Those both sound like excellent suggestions- calcium citrate works better than the tums-type, and definitely stay away from any "coral calcium" suppliments- they may have mercury, etc.

Some people try low salt, but that hasn't really been shown to work in pg to my knowledge. Worth a try if you're having a problem, though. Stay away from the salt substitutes, also- they are actually pretty toxic and not good for you at all.

Consumer reports tested a bunch of fish oil supplements and found no traces of mercury or any other contaminants in any of them, which is very nice. It's due to the type of small, deepwater fish they use.

There are very safe blood pressure medications you can take while pregnant- the biggest most important thing is to keep it from getting too high, treating "naturally" or with drugs. The high BP isn't good for you and *really* isn't good for the baby. I guess the only other thing might be exercise! Consistent, gentle exercise certainly helps blood sugar, and who knows, that might help the bp. If you already have high bp, though, It's likely you'll be told not to exercise as to keep it down. -j
#3 of 5 Old 12-06-2005, 05:06 AM

magnesium supplement (included calcium and various other goodies) did it for me
#4 of 5 Old 12-06-2005, 01:42 PM

Getting enough calcium and magnesium is important. Drinking lots of water, and eating lots of fresh veggies and fruit (esp raw). Exercising every day, especially walking, is the best thing you can do for your blood pressure as it gets your blood moving in your body. Swimming and hanging out in water will also help lower it.

I also took hawthorne berry extract from wise woman herbals. It's like a thick syrup, not the tincture you get in most health food stores. It's has a long tern affect, and really helps keep your bp regulated.
#5 of 5 Old 12-06-2005, 01:43 PM

muslimah, the thread "pre-eclampsia Watchdog on the loose" has lots of information on High BP including supplements and other things that can help.

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page