"You won't be getting any medals for natural childbirth" - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 12-14-2005, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanagirl
But my favorite letter was from the woman who wrote, "Did I have natural childbirth? Yes. Do I feel superior? Yes. So what?"
Well, IMO the "so what" is that in order to feel superior, you have to think of others as inferior. That's not very respectful of differing experiences and doesn't do a whole lot to win anyone over that natural childbirth might be something to consider.
#62 of 65 Old 12-14-2005, 03:47 PM

I also left a mainstream board after being battered with the "medal" business after suggesting (with references) that abdominal surgery and spinal puncture were not the least risky ways to birth if you have a blood clotting disorder.

I wrapped it up a bit more than just that blunt statement but I was really shocked to get that type of response from more than one person.

I wasn't looking for a medal when I birthed my children; I was trying to minimise tha chances of being permanently paralysed and left less able to care for them or suffer a pulmonary embolism as a result of surgery trauma.

People who bring up the medal thing don't understand what a positive birth can feel like and they use it because they are feeling defensive.

When did this phrase become popular? Was it when the natural birthers back in the 70s(?) started to go on an on about their wonderful births (so easy to do I know!) and that made other people feel inadequate? Perhaps we should express our joy more thoughtfully.
#63 of 65 Old 12-14-2005, 04:17 PM

I think there is a vast difference between making someone feel inadequate intentionally versus unintentionally. I understand being proud of your accomplishments and feeling joyful about your birth experience, and talking about it! I don't understand the need to feel "superior" about it, much less the need to express that sentiment to others.
#64 of 65 Old 12-14-2005, 05:29 PM

having had natural childbirth makes me feel like a bada$$!!
also the way i felt connected with every woman since the beginning of time well pushing her out. if you can't feel the pain feel the sensations and FEEL your baby how can you be connected in that bond of strength that stretches from the beggining of time?

and here i will sound stupid but what negative affects happen to the baby from the drugs. i mean i know something happens that they aren't as awake but i never researched it i JUST KNEW that i didn't want drugs it is so right, natural, and strong. it really i mean gosh we were made to do this.

what sucks is it 9.5 cm when i got to the hospital i asked for an epi and none of my sisters will let me live it down. it doesn't matter that i did it without drugs, eveytime i say i had a natural childbirth they bring that up. it's so annoying. this time there will be no request, (and i won't be at a hospital)

now if they would just believe that i am not going to switch to disposable diapers.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#65 of 65 Old 12-14-2005, 07:07 PM

My impression of the quote where the woman mentioned feeling "superior" wasn't so much that she thought she was better than others, but rather that she felt like a strong, beautiful, birthing Goddess. That's how I feel, and I guess that feeling does kinda resemble a feeling of superiority. Though, I wouldn't say others are inferior. I figure they just didn't educate themselves, OR they made a tough, educated decision. Either way, I think women tend to do whatever they think in best, problem is its hard to know what might be best without the info!

I was the same way as the pp with drugs, at first I didn't really know what the side effects were, I just knew they weren't an option for me. SOME of the side effects are: (mother) restricted mobility, liklihood of catheter, oxytocin, and internal monitoring. Increased risk of operative delivery. Blood pressure monitoring. Hypotension, nausea, vomiting, shaking, prolonged labor. May not relieve pain at all, or may only take on one side. Respiratory insufficiency or paralysis. Convulsions. Toxic drug reactions. Headache, septic meningitis. Allergic shock. Cardiac arrest. Maternal death. Neurologincal complications. Chronic backache. Loss of perineal sensation and sexual function. (Infant) Direct drug toxicity, fetal distress (abnormal heart rate), drowsiness at birth, poor sucking reflex, hypothermia and neonatal NICU workup (spinal tap, etc.), poor muscle tone during first hours, jaundice, decreased bonding, behavioral problems, hyperactivity up to seven years. And lets not forget the effects of operative delivery (forceps, episiotomy, c/s, etc.).

I have often wondered how many women sign the consent form BEFORE they go into labor, because I personally don't think I'd be paying too much attention if I signed it after I'd asked for drugs. These things are listed on the consent form.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page