Best season to be pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-18-2003, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I hear that having your third trimester in the summer can be really hard, but mine was in the winter and I found it hard to find winter clothes that would fit me. I thought if it had been summer, I wouldn't have to worry about that - just get something with a stretchy waistband and let my belly hang out.

I got really hot in the winter, which was nice because I'm usually cold all the time, but I figured if it were summer I could jump in the lake when it got too hot.

What do you all think? Would you rather have your third trimester in hot or cold weather?
#2 of 11 Old 01-18-2003, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son was born July 2nd. I was incredibly hot. I couldn't stand it. It made nursing and carrying him a bit uncomfortable too since being too warm makes me cranky.

My daughter was born in December and I was so grateful when the cool weather showed up that year. I live in my state and even when it was freezing, I didn't have to wear a coat...she made me that warm.

As far as the clothing goes, I like cooler months because more of my cool-weather clothes (sweaters and sweatshirts) still fit and I didn't have to buy as many maternity tops.

I'm not of a size or mind to wear my belly outside my clothes, though. I like the coverage. I'm sure the general public does, too.
#3 of 11 Old 01-18-2003, 05:15 PM

I vote for a winter third trimester - I don't mind looking like a ragbag if I can keep cooller when really big, but then I dislike hot weather at the best of times

getting enough sleep when it's hot at night is also an issue, I sleep better tucked under my duvet in winter, and cold nighttime bathroom trips don't bother me

as chellemarie said, caring for a new baby in very hot weather can be hard too - my ds2 was born at the start of a very hot summer and we had to bf lying down only touching at mouth and nipple because close contact was too hot, and he would drink and drink due to thirst till his tummy was overfull then throw it all up and be inconsolable (wouldn't take water!)
#4 of 11 Old 01-18-2003, 05:50 PM

I vote WINTER !! I had a July pregnancy and was a miserable wreck from May onward. I was working full time of course, and courting pre-eclampsia, out of shape, not taking care of myself, but MAN I LOVE being big and preggo in the winter. I have only purchased 2 pairs of maternity pants, maybe 5 shirts, and I am just wearing big old baggy sweaters that now are almost tight on my belly. I had to buy SO much stuff for summer and was always hot. Did I mention MISERABLE ?

I will try to never be pregnant in the summer again (big pregnant). I am due 2/7
#5 of 11 Old 01-18-2003, 06:10 PM

Spring

I had Ds at the end of April and it was perfect, I wasn't all hot from being pregnant, and it wasn't cold so I could get outside and walk. It was great

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#6 of 11 Old 01-18-2003, 06:44 PM

With my three pregs. I went through my third trimester in summer, winter and spring. Summer was the absolute WORST!!! Winter was alright, didn't have a problem with clothes but worried about my balance on the snow and ice. Slipped a few times, no biggie though. But I second Spring. It was just perfect for the clothes and weather. The bonus being that after having my babe I had months of lovely weather to be outside with all the kiddos!
#7 of 11 Old 01-18-2003, 09:44 PM

I found the summer heat pretty hard to take in my third trimester. More babies are born in August and September than any other months, but maybe that has more to do with Nov/Dec cold than July/Aug warmth.
#8 of 11 Old 01-18-2003, 10:08 PM

Another vote for winter. My ds was born in Feb. I can't stand summer when I am NOT pregnant. I don't live near water/pool, have AC in my bedroom only. No way, if I can help it. I loved walking around in the middle of winter without a jacket.
#9 of 11 Old 01-19-2003, 02:00 AM

I would think winter would be best. Summer heat just drains your energy too and its easy to become dehydrated, which can be a bad thing.

One other consideration based on season. My boss told me my family planning could not have been more perfect in respect to maternity leave, because he has few vacations scheduled for the winter and early spring months. Therefore, there will be coverage while I am gone..which is nice and makes my partner hopefully not resent my leave due to having to work overtime

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#10 of 11 Old 01-19-2003, 02:28 AM

I had my dd in mid-July of 2000 and was much more miserable overall than I am now as far as weather goes. One thing I did like about having a summer baby was that fewer folks were sick at that time and we could be outside. During those final weeks of pg, dh and I would sit outside and spray the hose above us so that we would get "rained" on. LOL cheap a/c.

I am now four weeks from my EDD with babe #2 and really like being able to bundle up when I need to--I don't feel as large and I like being able to nest indoors. Not looking forward to folks being sick and wanting to come over---but this season has seemed to be less hard on folks. Perhaps that is because it is El Nino, but dh and Violet have only been sick once this winter. That is great cause last year V was sick all the time. Boy, I'm getting wayy off topic.

Jesse
#11 of 11 Old 01-19-2003, 04:09 PM

Well, my son was born March 18th....does that count as spring yet? Either way it was cold as anything! With my second, we're going to try for a summer delivery for a few reasons-I hated hated hated hiding my big belly in those huge frocks and sweatshirts, under coats etc...It was too cold to walk...snowy and freezing rain, ugh! The next time around, I'd like too, like Greaseball, let my belly out! I can't wait to wear some capris and a tank top....with either a nice sized sliver of belly, or the whole thing hanging out...I plan on getting my entire belly henna-ed... go to the beach in a bikini....might sound crazy, but I'm one of those lucky ones who LOVED the whole pregnancy. Also, my love is a teacher and will be off in the summer and therefore able to spend a LOT more time with us. But if it doen't work out like that, and I end up being due in the winter, I'll just go on vacation to Fla or something whrn I'm 8 months so I can show that gut off. LOL
Always~~>Kelly

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page