how common is swelling in late pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-19-2003, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 38 weeks almost, and my feet have decided to swell. I had pre-clampsia last time and had very swollen feet from 33 weeks on. This time it just started. I know it is more common in summer, but of course I am thinking p/e even tho my BP has been fine, no s/sx, no protein in urine or anything. and I'm doing brewer diet etc etc. So how many of you have swollen feet or did in your late pregnancy ? My baby is gonna be big so I'm thinking it is just impeding blood flow back up plus I've been insomniac at night wandering around and not having time to keep feet up (2 year old).

Thanks
#2 of 10 Old 01-19-2003, 04:24 PM

I've had swelling with all three pregnancies. I had high BP the first time, but no complications from that.

I think I swelled at conception with baby #2 (my ugliest pregnancy by far) and I started to swell a few weeks ago with this one. I'm 38 weeks now.

Is there a higher chance of p/e if you've had it before? I thought it was rather random.

For my feet, it helps to put shoes on asap and leave them on. When the swelling makes me uncomfortable, I soak the swollen parts in cool water.

Right now I'm trying to visualize my cervix softening and opening so I can just get this over with. I'm ready to sweat and nurse all this pudge off! Good luck.
#3 of 10 Old 01-19-2003, 05:17 PM
XM

With Xiola, I was swollen for at least a month before she was due, and I was not toxemic or p/e at all. My poor little toes looked like sausages! And the skin was so stretched that the tops of my feet really hurt.

At my midwife appt yesterday we were talking about swelling and she was telling me that the guidelines have been revised and now swelling is not *supposed* to be considered a risk factor for toxemia or p/e... although some providers still think along those lines. It is finally being recognized that swelling is just something our bodies sometimes do when we are extremely pregnant!

The only things I know of to help are immersing yourself in water (a pool is great if you can go, or even a basin for your feet is good) because something about being in the water helps your body redistribute the water it's holding (and swelling up with)... hydrostatic something-or-other effect? We would put epsom salts in the water I would soak my feet in. And of course drinking more water helps too, otherwise your body acts like a cactus and holds on to what it gets, but you mamas already knew that

38 weeks, almost there... how exciting!

XM
#4 of 10 Old 01-21-2003, 04:17 AM

My feet have been swollen since around 20 weeks I think. I'm 34 weeks now. I figure its because I'm on my feet sometimes 12 hours a day. My midwife isn't concerned about it either. My BP is always low, last visit it was 100/58. She said I have always had some protein in my urine since my first visit and wasn't concerned with that either.

Don't think you really have to worry unless you begin swelling elsewhere, especially in the face or your blood pressure goes up. P/E is also more common in first pregnancies for some unknown reason.

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#5 of 10 Old 01-21-2003, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lea
She said I have always had some protein in my urine since my first visit and wasn't concerned with that either.
Perhaps it's the dip-sticks. My doc says that everyone of their patients has elevated protein and thinks it must be the sticks.

I thought swelling in the last few weeks was required

cheers!
#6 of 10 Old 01-21-2003, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

You know what is really weird, I think I figured out the main cause all of a sudden. I mean I "am" retaining some water, my last visit I gained 4 lbs that week (and I'd only done 2 lbs over the month prior) but I am following the Brewer diet AND a gestational diabetes diet as well, and the last few days I caved in and have been having EQUAL !!! Yuck yuck yuck but we went to Starbucks and I got cappucino and tried the equal (I was so hormonal, I know the stuff is terrible) and have had Equal cappucino maybe 3 times this week. I read in Spiritual Midwifery just yesterday that artificial sweeteners can bring on edema. So I have been elevating and drinking TONS of water to try and get the crap out of my system and the swelling is still there but MUCH improved. Hmmmm.... now I feel 1000 tims worse that I let that stuff into my body.
#7 of 10 Old 01-21-2003, 11:27 AM

Hey Julie-

at least you realized it was the Equal. I think you shouldn't feel so bad at all, cause you paid attention to what you were consuming, and got rid of the culprit.

I've been thinking alot about how pregnancy makes me want to eat/drink things based much more on my hormonal balance, not always what I _should_ be eating. and I like to eat very healthy, crave green foods and fresh fruits/veggies but sometimes... I want to eat a big plate of sushi with feta cheese on the side, and followed by a dozen crispy creme doughnuts that are engineered to give me a yeast infection, and blood sugar crash.

-Lau
#8 of 10 Old 01-21-2003, 12:17 PM

I'm not supposed to eat a dozen krispy cremes?

Oopsie daisy! *L*

I'm still swelling. I sort of feel like the guy in the movie SEVEN who ate all the canned spaghetti...like I'm about to burst out of my skin. I'm allergic to aspartame (causes asthma attacks...super, eh?) so I know it's not artificial sweeteners for me. But like I said, I swelled with the other two kids as well. I can't WAIT to sweat it all off.

I wish we had a Starbucks. I could go for an iced coffee. I hate living in BFE sometimes.
#9 of 10 Old 01-21-2003, 08:32 PM

Equal=aspartame = bad, yes!
But I have read that drinking lotsa lotsa water is good for reducing swelling. Like you body doesn't retain as much cause it knows it's gonna get more.

swelling in feet and hands is a symptom of pre-eclampsia if combined with the other symptoms; swelling in face, high b/p, visual disturbances, ketones in the urine.

drink that water and eat that protein.
#10 of 10 Old 01-22-2003, 12:12 AM

yeah, yeah, forget all that nonsense

putcha damn feet up, ladies, you deserve it!

love,
sunmountain, who has done this four times, and wishes she could now put her feet up once in a while

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page